The most versatile OD pedals choice...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Aug 17, 2005.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

If you'd like to cover a large tone range with different ODs, what would be your choice?
    Prices and number of pedals doesn't matter.
    Any suggestions?
    :dude

2. John II

John II Member

Menatone Top Boost In a Can. From full rich overdrive to treble booster its one of the most flexible overdrive I have tried.

~John II

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive..

4. ruby7829

ruby7829 Supporting Member

Hellbilly. Does everything from serious fuzz to OD to crunchy treble boost. Really a jack of all trades and a master of all trades as well.

5. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

MI Audio Tube Zone has the widest tone/gain range of any OD I've tried.

6. herbs

herbs Member

Keeley ts9dx 4X2 is versitile, the four modes are all slightly different.

+1 for the tube zone aswell, has a huge gain range.

7. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

In a word. Pro Analog Dual Drive. Ok that is a few words. I finally jumped back on the PA/Scotty Smith bandwagon and I am sure glad I did. I have owned and gigged with a lot including TS-9's(modded), Analog Man, Sex Drive, Klon, Fulltone including OCD, Fatboost and FD2 and original FD and a whole lot more and through my late 70's Marshall with PAF equipped Les Pauls this DD is amazing. The Clean/Green channel is dynamic and alive and the Red/OD channel grinds and screams with more volume from the amp. And, I have not tried it with 12 volts yet which is how Scotty likes it and I am sure I will too! I liked the DD so much, I am getting a Power Driver today to goose the front of the DD clean channel and also as a stand alone boost-think early Jeff Beck and Zep II tones. Scotty has amazing ears and vast knwoledge of all things tone-especially vintage pedals. I have bought and sold a lot of stuff from him-much that I wish I had kept, but the Dual Drive is staying put.

8. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I am getting lots of miles out of a Blackstone and a Timmy. The Blackstone is far more tweekable than any other overdrive I have owned. It has two trimmers, two socketed caps, two switchable channels, a pretty flexible external tone control, and a gain and volume for each channel. The options are suprisingly staggering concidering the pedal looks like it has no knobs at all. It has so much flexibility that frankly it can be tweeked to sound aweful with a given rig. But tweeked correctly, which can take some time, it is the most amp-like pedal ever and has survived many revamps of my board over the course of the last 5 years now. I am going to give the MI Audio Tube Zone a spin soon, as it is a similar to the Blackstones method of cascading transistors rather than diodes and opamps. The Timmy is just a cool pedal, apparently no matter what it is mated up with.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I don't hear many much more versatile and musical as a Fulldrive II w/toggle switch. The surface used everyday for steals. You can't lose with this pedal.

10. raz

raz Member

Of the one's I've used, the FDII would get my vote so far for versatility. I could make that work for me for everything from blues to this end of heavy metal. Not necessarily well, but I could make it work.

That said, I'm currently using an RC Booster and BB Preamp and those two together are very versatile (especially with the Flexi).

I'm awaiting delivery of a Dual Drive, so it remains to be seen how it shakes out.

But the FDII is still a solid answer to the question here.

R
    A
    Z

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

V-Stack Classic here...

12. blueprint

blueprint Member

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    This forum is really helping!

13. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I've been through at least 20 ODs and the Fulltone OCD gets my vote. Can go from mild to over the top and sound great across the entire spectrum.

14. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blues Boy for me - with chip swaps, trimmers, and the extremely versatile and well-voiced controls I can get anywhere from a straight clean boost to a killer TS to an MXR Distortion +. He builds incredibly versatile pedals for the money, IMO.