• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Mushiness of the Headrush FRFR 108

Krzysiek M

If I had to pick the worst sounding FRFR I played it would be the 108. The ugly boomy bass just kills. Afer a rehearsal when I spent more time trying to find a semi good position for this @#$% „boommaker” than playing I gave up and sent it back. Maybe for clean tones it is OK but for any louder high gain it fails.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve tried two of them last year at different times of the year. One of them definitely had an issue. The other was ok. For the price it is a half decent unit. It is very light weight and easy to take with you.

It does not handle the bottom end all that well at times when playing the lower tuned stuff. When louder, you are limited by that smaller driver and will quickly hit a wall. That should be no surprise.

still, hard to beat for the price.

Last edited:

cbeattyjr

Silver Supporting Member
I have two Alto tens that I use when I play solo (or duo) and just want clean Fender tones from my Gigboard. My vocals also go there. Sounds wonderful.

But when I lead a Roots trio, I like to use a Line 6 Powercab 112 for the wapoosh. I think the bass player and drummer like it better that way too.

Toby Krebs

The little 108 works great if you also have proper PA and you don’t pump a bunch of lows through it. For gigs where I need more stage fill I use one or 2 K10.2s.I cut my lows drastically to stay out of the bass guitar/keys/kick drum floor Tom etc...range.But I know most guitar players love that “woofy” sound lol!

Makes for muddy crap in a mix though.YMMV/Ya Da Shaka Khan etc....lather rinse repeat.

jdroost

Had the same exact issue (also using helix).
I honestly thought there was a problem with mine so I asked for another unit (that one was slightly worse).
A few people had me tweak my presets and try different ir's and it absolutely helped but did not solve it 100% (especially on metal type stuff) for me. I really wish it did because it's so loud and light.

In the end it went back and I have been ok with lugging my 12" frfr to things.
Try what is suggested and maybe it will work out for you.

LqdSndDist

I use one atomic CLR and one 108 in stereo, both sound good to me. Have even thought of selling the CLR, getting another 108, and pocketing the difference.

fantastic bang for the buck and just a nice sounding monitor in general, regardless of price. Fact it’s $200 is icing on the cake.

the swede

I use one atomic CLR and one 108 in stereo, both sound good to me. Have even thought of selling the CLR, getting another 108, and pocketing the difference.

fantastic bang for the buck and just a nice sounding monitor in general, regardless of price. Fact it’s $200 is icing on the cake.
The CLR gets a lot of praise, by many. So its interesting to hear someone saying the hr 108 sounds good compared to a widely praised speaker.

otter5555

Been running a HX Stomp into a Headrush FRFR 108. To be honest, I've been struggling with it. I can't seem to dial out the flabby bass. There is an underlying distortion that infects everything. I had read about some people hearing a weird distortion from their 108. Maybe I got a bad one.

Today I broke out my old Egnater 1x12 cab and my Baby Bomb. Plugged the HX into that and there's the clarity I have been missing. Everything is just more "musical" to me. I just want to play clean chords.

Maybe I am missing settings. I have tried the low cuts, eqs and IRs. Something with my FRFR 108 doesn't chime.

Just sharing my experience. I plan on trying out the Baby Bomb and Cab this weekend with the band. We will see.

I also think I might want to try a Line 6 Power Cab.

i got the frfr 108 about 3 weeks ago. mine sounds great. no mushiness at all. i have run my kemper, helix, aa6 and mooer ge150 into it and it simply sounds great. it is the most neutral unit i've ever used.

KenG

One an FRFR will reproduce frequencies well below where a guitar cab starts rolling off. Second flabby low end distortion could be in the model, you can try knocking the SAG back to tighten that low end up.

nicolasrivera

I recently had the HR 108 and the Kemper Floor at our studio and the sound was a total mess. I took the out 2 of the HR108 and plug it directly to some cheap floor monitors we have set up for rehearsal and the sound improved a lot, it was more clear.

KenG

I recently had the HR 108 and the Kemper Floor at our studio and the sound was a total mess. I took the out 2 of the HR108 and plug it directly to some cheap floor monitors we have set up for rehearsal and the sound improved a lot, it was more clear.
I have the Alto Version, it needs to be off the floor and standing vertically. Even that way it's not flat but some Eqing fixes that. As long as you aren't also sending your signal to a set of high quality speakers which would be "off' due to compensating for the Alto, HRs they can be made to work for guitar imo.

KenG

I have Spectroid on my Tablet but need a calibrated Noise source to feed through the speakers. It would be interesting to map the response. Good tool to for compensating for room accoustics I'd think.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
My 108 sounds very good (Helix) up to pretty loud, where it has an internal rattle. Low through "medium loud" is very nice. I do have it on a stand or hard chair. For Loud I just use my K-10.

guitarlix

This thread seems to be very much be the tale of two stories. One half says it's just great and the other says it's terrible.

I wonder if the half that's saying it's terrible is playing metal riffs which the speaker is just not able to keep up with?

This thread seems to be very much be the tale of two stories. One half says it's just great and the other says it's terrible.

I wonder if the half that's saying it's terrible is playing metal riffs which the speaker is just not able to keep up with?
I actually think it's better for metal.

guitarlix

What's it not good for then?

Here are two videos I found online of the headrush pedalboard into the FRFR 108. Sounds just great to my ears!

What am I missing?

Trending Topics