The music industry has a math problem.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bieling3, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

The music industry has a math problem:

Does this add up? I don't think it takes into consideration that soon, very soon from the looks of album/singles sales, streaming is going to be the primary distribution method of music. SO does the .00084 cents paid per spin x a million = one radio spin? (...and how much is that these days?) This doesn't even get into the difference between and artist and a songwriter and who gets paid what...

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

record sales seemed to always support tours. radio plays supported record sales.

you had $9lp's $12 cd's and $25 tickets. now you have no cd sales and only top name performers tour (arena gigs) and charge $80 and up for tickets.

3. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

By that math, 1 million plays on Z100 would equate to 62 billion plays on Spotify. It sounds like they are comparing apples and oranges.

For comparison, I believe something like Gangham style is ballpark of 2 billion views on Youtube.

4. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

I doubt a million people listen to the radio at any one time. Even Z100 whatever that is.

Edit: Or even a million divided by 16.

5. mattball826

mattball826 Member

you would be surprised. radio is not as dead as many here think it is. non musician type still enjoy radio and they out number us by far. not as many are into subscription streaming and so on.

radio is simple. turn it on tune in. what they play you hear. not every person is locked in to a specific genre either. pop and country stations still rule heavily. classic rock is there too for those that grew up on radio, but those folk are the only listeners keeping those stations alive.

6. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

That may be true, I only used that number since the math challenged people in the original article quoted the million/16 number to support their argument.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I don't think it is possible for a song to get played 1 million times on radio.
    That would equate to a 3 minute song being played non-stop for 5 years, 8 months, and 12 days.