The Musical terms and where they originated from thread....

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
Rock and Roll. Who officially came up with that term? :waiting

Blues? How about that one? :confused:

Guitar Jam or Jamming! ??

Riff?

Lick? :huh

Heavy Metal?

If you know the answers, let us know, or add your own mystery words and phrases.

Multicellular

Rock and Roll. Who officially came up with that term? :waiting

If you know the answers, let us know, or add your own mystery words and phrases.
Rock and Roll referred to what consenting adults do when they are in love or lust. Kinda obvious when you think about it. Connoted sexy music.

Guitar. Guitar is an ancient Indian word. Sanskrit. Meant literally 6 string. 'Tar' being string. Sitar originally mean 7 string but has had inflation. Banjo also has this root, 'five string.' In old Indian Pantar, evolved to Pancha, and to Banja, Banjo.

27sauce

Who was the first one to take their "sweet ass time" tearing down? Was his/her ass in fact that sweet?

If it's an early reference (rockin' and rollin' e.g.) - Alan Freed
If it sounds like work (woodshedding e.g.) - Tommy Dorsey
If it sounds cool (riffin' e.g.) - Miles Davis

If those aren't correct, they should be.

CyberFerret

I wonder who came up with the term 'wanking' for aimless noodling on a guitar?? Wasn't someone from the UK or Australia, that's for sure... Then again, perhaps it WAS! :D

That word has a VERY different connotation in these parts of the world.

While we are on it.... where did 'noodling' come from?? ;)

most rock phrases are euphemisms from the country and urban black culture. Rock & roll, ballin, etc. You ever listen to 20-30's era dirty blues? Makes today's rappers sound like preachers lol.

80tiger

Platinum Supporting Member
Was thinking the terms might be adagio, moderato, schnell, etc. I was telling a non-musician friend about a cool lick I was working on and they looked at me really funny.

80tiger

Platinum Supporting Member
The modern word guitar, and its antecedents, has been applied to a wide variety of chordophones since classical times and as such causes confusion. The English word guitar, the German Gitarre, and the French guitare were adopted from the Spanish guitarra, which comes from the Andalusian Arabic قيثارة qitara,[4] itself derived from the Latin cithara, which in turn came from the Ancient Greek κιθάρα kithara.[A]

I seriously doubt the Indian story (Sanskrit). Just sayin.

jhc

I wonder who came up with the term 'wanking' for aimless noodling on a guitar?? Wasn't someone from the UK or Australia, that's for sure... Then again, perhaps it WAS! :D

It has the same connotation in the US, and I guarantee you that's exactly the point!

Multicellular

The modern word guitar, and its antecedents, has been applied to a wide variety of chordophones since classical times and as such causes confusion. The English word guitar, the German Gitarre, and the French guitare were adopted from the Spanish guitarra, which comes from the Andalusian Arabic قيثارة qitara,[4] itself derived from the Latin cithara, which in turn came from the Ancient Greek κιθάρα kithara.[A]

I seriously doubt the Indian story (Sanskrit). Just sayin.

I didn't make it up. Though, looking thru some sites it looks like 'tar' might have meant string in Arabic, Persian, and Sanskrit simultaneously. My Indian in-laws of course, claim an exclusive sanskrit origin.

http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/BriefHistory.html

http://dancingfromgenesis.wordpress...-to-south-asia-stringed-sounds-ancient-times/

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member

While we are on it.... where did 'noodling' come from?? ;)
I'm pretty sure the expression guitar wanking came directly from the UK or Aussie meaning of wanking. It illustrates in a crude way the guitar wanker's self indulgence without need for the participation or enjoyment of others--other than in the wanker's mind.