The Musical Theater Thread

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by GtrWiz, Feb 4, 2019.

1. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

Sorry I'm not free either of those dates, but great idea! I'm Nassau county LI so could have done it if I were free. Good luck!

2. maydaynyc

maydaynyc Supporting Member

PM sent

3. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

When we went to “Million Dollar Quartet”, Miguel Cervantes was in the seat right in front of us. Very nice guy, with a wonderful family. MDQ and All Shook Up got me interested in the theater.

4. russintexas

russintexas Member

Has anyone here played "Legally Blonde"? I've got a run coming up in around six weeks, and wanted to get any pointers before I started my prep work.

5. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Buckle up! It is an absolute bear of a part. Lots of written out 4 part chords and
    other awkwardness dreamed up by a sadistic pianist.

Trevordog likes this.
  6. DanH8482

DanH8482 Supporting Member

I always forget this thread exists since its not the most active.

I just started a four-week run of Cabaret and am getting a really good tenor banjo workout. I'm finally getting to use my Eastman arch top for a show too, its been sitting around waiting for a gig to call for it. There's one song where the synth book has a steel guitar part, so I'm playing that on lap steel too.

My first time playing Cabaret, and after playing six weeks of Mamma Mia, its nice to dig into something a little more substantial. Its really a great show and we have a very special cast.

7. tonyhay

tonyhay Member

I found that one pretty challenging to get to grips with. Enjoy it!

DanH8482 likes this.
  8. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

We seem to be doing the same type of gigs; are you sure you aren't me?
    I also did six weeks of Mama Mia, and i just used a tenor banjo and archtop for "Mame". Do you tune the tenor banjo like a guitar, too?
    I posted on the experience I had when a top notch Sound company used the mic jack on my AI Corus as an XLR connection to put it through their PA.
    If you have the same type of equipment (a contact pickup on your tenor banjo, and an amp with a mic input) don't pass up the chance to check this out.

9. DanH8482

Mamma Mia is everywhere! It’s hard to find a guitarist who hasn’t played it recently.

I tune my tenor in 5ths, CGDA. I buckled down a couple years ago and started learning all the voicings and inversions and how to read on it and now its not quite second nature, but getting there. It was painful at first, but I think it does sound a little better with the more spread out voicings you get in that tuning.

I used to have an AI Corus as well, but “downgraded” to a Fishman Loudbox with almost all the same features. I’m not using it on this one, but I have definitely used the XLR out to send a consistent signal to the house, then can use the Master volume to adjust the speaker for my monitor on stage or in the pit, its very useful.

Trevordog likes this.
  10. DanH8482

There are parts that I still shed each night before the show, mostly when there’s a chord on every beat. I’ve gotten much better at 2 and 3 note voicings for those measures.

tonyhay likes this.
  11. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

That's pretty impressive, that you use the 5ths tuning. Even Jay Berliner and Tommy Tedesco tuned their banjos to DGBE. One of my subs for Mame came in with a guitar-banjo, six strings!
    Here's a link to the thread I posted on using the direct out for their XLR wire. The banjo was plugged into the second channel of the Corus, my guitar was plugged into the first channel, on the bottom.
    Would it have helped my guitar sound if it was plugged into the second channel? It sounded pretty much the same.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/what-did-the-sound-man-do.2070742/

DanH8482 likes this.
  12. DanH8482

Very interesting, however he did it, its good that you were able to have the sound that everyone liked.

My banjo has a Schatten BJ-02 contact mic underneath the bridge on the under side of the head. I plug it into a LR Baggs Session Preamp/DI then that does to FOH. I’m using a Gold Tone Cripple Creek Tenor, which is a pretty beginner level instrument. I think I’m about to invest in a professional level tenor since I play a lot of it in theater and this one can NOT hang with the band once they get cooking. I’d so much rather play this show acoustically like the horns are and from what I’ve read and been told, a pro-level tenor should be able to hang with a horn section easily.

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I just took a job as MD for a church here in town that is severely limiting my ability to do shows anymore. There is a possibility of doing A Night With Janis, with Mary Bridget Davies, and I'm going to try really hard to make that one happen.

DanH8482 likes this.
  14. DanH8482

I played that show last summer for a month and I know all the people on the tour, I almost went out with it but decided against it.

Are they hiring locals to fill in Guitar 2? That’s the book I played. It’s a fun show, I hope you get to do it!

GtrWiz likes this.
  15. Trevordog

Trevordog Member

That's great if you're playing in a theater with great acoustics, but I play is so many different types of venues, that it's impossible to play acoustically for all of them.
    I played tenor banjo in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels last summer in an old, all wood theater in Lake George, and the acoustics were so great that I played it acoustically, and the blend with the strings was fantastic.
    Same thing when I played it in Manhattan on Me And My Gal with the East Village Light Opera Company.Great experience!
    But the gig I was talking about above was in a huge park, and if I had played it acoustically, it would've been eaten up by the all the mic'd brass, winds, etc...

DanH8482 and GtrWiz like this.
  16. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

It's a local production, so pretty much everyone's local but her. Same theater that did Hedwig earlier this year, they usually hire leads from NYC or LA and locals for the rest. I think it's the only Equity theater in Austin.

DanH8482 likes this.
  17. DanH8482

Definitely, and if I do upgrade to a much louder banjo, I will absolutely be keeping my pickup installed. For the situation you had and for when we’re out of sight in the pit.

Trevordog likes this.
  18. DanH8482

I hope you get to do it, both guitar books are lots of fun and each have two big guitar solos!

tonyhay likes this.
  19. jptortor

jptortor Supporting Member

If anyone has questions about the following shows, I've played them:

Grease
    The Wiz
    Little Shop of Horrors
    Anything Goes
    Baby
    Thoroughly Modern Millie
    Pippin
    Footloose
    Mary Poppins
    Big Fish
    The Wedding Singer
    Next To Normal
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Tommy
    Rocky Horror Show
    Oklahoma
    James And The Giant Peach
    All Shook up
    The Sound of Music
    Hairspray
    Guys and Dolls
    Shrek
    The Wizard of Oz
    Annie
    Bye Bye Birdie
    The Addams Family
    Legally Blonde
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Aida
    Mamma Mia

There are more I'm sure, but these are what I remember off the top of my head.

20. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

Nice list!!!!

But ..... hmmm ....

They made a musical called “Bat Boy”??? Lol

Was that based on the weekly world news Bat Boy??