The MXR Flanger/Doubler model 126

Terry McInturff

40th Anniversary of guitar building!
Platinum Supporting Member
This unit is one of the true classics that are seen to this day in the racks of the best recording studios in the world, for a very good reason....nothing sounds like it.

Unknowingly, we've all heard the 126 on countless recordings, used on a multitude of tracks including and besides guitars. It is, simply, a fabulous sounding device. I use it strictly in the studio either on a mixing desk channel insert, or strapped to a mixing desk aux send.

The 126 has a fat, lo-fi personality that cannot be had any other way. It is rich in it's way. Even in bypass, running a signal thru it captures some of the sound. Any mono track that needs a bit of motion, I'll try the 126 before any plugin.

Nothing else in my outboard rack can duplicate it. My Lexicon PCM 70, PCM 91, LXP-15ii, TC Electronics M3000, etc etc...none of them can do what the MXR 126 does. Not even close. Nor do any of my plugins.

Guitar-wise, it's very useful for giving it's type of "motion" in mono. It sounds excellent on high-gain stuff, set for a moderate mix level, and my vaunted H3000 cannot do it. I don't rack it for live use, but would if that sort of thing was needed.

I just replaced the power transformer in mine, and so was reminded to post about it.

NorCal_Val

Didn’t EJ have one of those on the floor at some point?
Yep, at about 1:10 in you can see it.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Didn’t EJ have one of those on the floor at some point?
Yep, at about 1:10 in you can see it.
I think that’s what he used on ‘High Landrons’ on AVM.
Love that vocal quality on the flange. Only thing that I’ve found that comes close is the filter -> ON setting on the Ibanez FL99.

NorCal_Val

I think that’s what he used on ‘High Landrons’ on AVM.
Love that vocal quality on the flange. Only thing that I’ve found that comes close is the filter -> ON setting on the Ibanez FL99.
On the studio version of “High Landrons” they stacked 2 flanger pedals to get that “vomiting flanger” sound.

Now that's funny!

Bandmate had one we used at rehearsal for some slight doubling of vocals.
I have a SR&D Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay rackmount unit from 1985. Its instruction manual suggest to use its chorus effect for not just doubling vocals but also to smooth them out - essentially a prelude to Autotune.

Anje

Silver Supporting Member
Eric did use one of those 2U blue MXR flanger rack back in the day; live it was in a small rack on the floor next to his pedalboard. You can see it in the '88 ACL performance for instance.
Great sound indeed!

jimmycupo

Eric Johnson also used an MXR Digital Time Delay rack unit. It can do some very cool flanger tones which EJ is famous for as well as delay too!!

Terry McInturff

These blue face MXR rack units from the late 70's/early 80's are awesome, but very rare these days.
Dimebag Darrell used a 126 apparently.
I also have the Pitch Transposer model 129 and it's display. It cost me $990 in 1980!!!!

These blue face MXR rack units from the late 70's/early 80's are awesome, but very rare these days.
Dimebag Darrell used a 126 apparently.
I also have the Pitch Transposer model 129 and it's display. It cost me $990 in 1980!!!!
Did Dimebag use the 126 for This Love, both on the album and for the following live performance?

I love that sound. When I like chorus/flanger effects with distortion, this is what I mean!

Terry McInturff

Did Dimebag use the 126 for This Love, both on the album and for the following live performance?

I love that sound. When I like chorus/flanger effects with distortion, this is what I mean!
I can't be sure, but it sure sounds like the MXR 126!
Apparently the 126 was a standard part of his gear and I can see why. I have a great selection of rack mount gear for the studio, and nothing sounds like the 126. It is so good for heavy guitar sounds!!!!!!!!!

I can't be sure, but it sure sounds like the MXR 126!
Apparently the 126 was a standard part of his gear and I can see why. I have a great selection of rack mount gear for the studio, and nothing sounds like the 126. It is so good for heavy guitar sounds!!!!!!!!!
Yep it is!

I use a Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay in a similar way, but at a lower volume so it doesn't smother the main 'dry' guitar sound. It enriches the texture more, broadens it.

When I do want a full-blown flangery or strongly chorused distorted heavy guitar sound, I'll run the Electric Mistress flanger or an analogue chorus pedal in front of the amp. A non-cyclical chorus such as the Neunaber Chroma (digital) on a low Mix and medium Width works well too.

Trending Topics