• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The naked guitar of Alex Lifeson.

peter_heijnen

I just found this on YT and love how it crystal clear reveals every note that that i ever got wrong since the 1980's. It's said that this is a recording of a scanner picking up Alex' transmitter, but it also could be a recording of the guitarsignal that Geddy receives on his IEM since he likes it this way.

Either or, the naked guitar is not for the weakhearted since it can be somewhat underwhelming at times.

Last edited:

Jason UP

Silver Supporting Member
ha well it seems i've been playing Limelight wrong all this time, just doing B-A-A-E (right before the single note passage)...he seems to be doing something a little sassier, leaving a few notes of the B barre chord when he goes to the A. Crap, now i have to go look it up :D

picton

Tom Sawyer solo starts around 1:28.

Is this really what it sounds like dry? Sounds like very little picking hand attack, is that his style normally? Not intimately acquainted with Rush...

picton

ha well it seems i've been playing Limelight wrong all this time, just doing B-A-A-E (right before the single note passage)...he seems to be doing something a little sassier, leaving a few notes of the B barre chord when he goes to the A. Crap, now i have to go look it up :D
That's the other thing with isolated tracks, you learn the original version has little nuances and rhythms you never picked up on. I swear listening to VH isolated is almost like a different experience all on it's own because the guy swings so much and has all sorts of syncopation going on where normally you would hear an ordinary 4/4 rhythm...

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a dry guitar split right off his wireless. That is uber crazy if thats what Geddy likes to hear. I do know that Paul Gilbert said in Mr. Big the singer Eric likes to hear his guitar dry too, so he splits it for him.
This is pretty common for vocalists in rock bands. They like to be able to play off of what the guitarist is doing (or just have a sonic reference point). A lot of effects, particularly delay and chorus, can really mess up a vocalist's point of reference and send them off into la-la land.

JPH118

Sounds like a dry guitar split right off his wireless. That is uber crazy if thats what Geddy likes to hear. I do know that Paul Gilbert said in Mr. Big the singer Eric likes to hear his guitar dry too, so he splits it for him.
Yeah I’d go with wireless transmitter, can’t imagine Geddy or anyone would only want to hear a bone dry direct signal, but then again, who knows.

JPH118

This is pretty common for vocalists in rock bands. They like to be able to play off of what the guitarist is doing (or just have a sonic reference point). A lot of effects, particularly delay and chorus, can really mess up a vocalist's point of reference and send them off into la-la land.
that’s a good point, I’ve mixed monitors and kept the guitars fairly dry for the vocalists, but they’re still getting the fundamental tone from the rig, not a direct line.

Vocalists, on the other hand, usually want more effects on their own voice in the monitors than you’d ever want in the main mix.

Trending Topics