The Negativity Thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DreamPop, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

In my short tenure here, a lot of posters (or maybe just a few very vocal ones) seem to think TGP is incredibly negative. While I respectfully disagree, I will acknowledge that threads tend to get derailed with senseless bickering and butthurt. Unfortunately, the negativity won't go away as long as posting is anonymous and IMS exists. Instead of complaining about the perceived negativity, I say we let out our anger and frustrations regarding TGP, music, instruments, or whatever (within the rules, obviously) without fear of reproach. It really is frustrating to read 2 pages of an interesting thread, when all of a sudden becomes "my dad can beat up your dad." This is a thread for you to let it out without having to argue. Keep in mind, this is all opinion.

-- Joe Bonamassa is the most boring musician I have ever heard. If this is what the electric guitar is supposed to sound like, I'm taking up the accordion. With that said, I respect your right to listen to and enjoy him. Just please don't shove him down my throat and call me an idiot. (I'm sorry, I had one really nasty encounter with a forum member over Joe once).

-- Stop posting threads in response to other threads. Last night there were three threads in the Electric Guitar forum about hating signature guitars. Post it in the same thread. It makes the argument easier to follow.

-- On that note, learn to consolidate threads. 12 threads on the front page about the new Van Halen single/tour/album is ridiculous.

-- New music that sounds 40 years old is not new music.

-- This is an open forum filled with people from all walks of life with all sorts of tastes. Embrace the diversity. It would be incredibly boring if we all liked the same stuff.

-- Money can't buy you happiness...or talent

-- Cover bands and orchestras are not the same thing. Stop trying to create a straw-man argument with this nonsense.

-- "What low-watt boutique amp for punk rock?" -- I think you're missing the point.

-- Learn to take criticism about your favorite artist. Bonamassa is a brat, Mayer is a douchebag. Whatever.

Whatever is pissing you off in the world of TGP, post it, let it out. Maybe by embracing our anger, we can actually have a decent discussion. (Damn, that is some hippy sounding drivel). This is not meant to start a riot; I'm not here to argue with anyone. If you disagree, post it. Don't expect a response. If you really hate me, PM me.

2. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

i use Peavey amps exclusively, and i hate that

3. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

"Alphabet Street" isn't the National Anthem, and I can't stand that such is the case AAAAARRRGH

4. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

It's funny that a thread about negativism contains so much negativism.

I try not to insult musicians if they happen to not be my cup of tea. I wish everybody felt that way. I really enjoyed the clip of Joe Bonamassa playing I'd Rather Go Blind. Joe played a great solo, and the singer, whose name I have forgotten, did a wonderful job as well. For some reason, the thread title read something like "Dumble & Tele" and didn't mention Bonamassa. Is his name even more poisonous than "Dumble"? For the record, I'm not a fanboy and have never purchased any of his material.

5. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

That's the point. Be negative. It's good for you.

6. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Have you read any Harold Robbins? It's really the most awful American -- well, not American -- transatlantic tripe.

7. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

Can't say that I have.

8. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I hate the word "hater" being tossed around so much. :huh

9. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

NEGATIVE ..on here.....................oh dear anything =vh= on here and devil is after u.................:p

10. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Here's something else that makes me tear my eyes out, seriously this time : after a long streak of unimpeachably-crafted releases, Tchad Blake and Mitchell Froom completely neutered Cibo Matto's "Viva! La Woman." Compare the sound of the Blake / Froom "Birthday Cake" or "Know Your Chicken" to the self-produced EP versions, and rage. WHY TCHAD WHY

11. clicktone

clicktone Supporting Member

12. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

That is the problem when you bump up against the fanbois and their sacred cows, whether it's Joe Bonamassa's fanbois, or Jimmy Page's, or Ace Frehley's, just to name three I know of with such fanbois. The slightest deviation from The Revelation must not merely be countered, it must be stomped out; the slightest demurral from The Word must be crushed. Blissful are the fanbois in their ignorance of the point that a sacred cow is worth one thing---steak.

My own take on Bonamassa: I like some of his music. I don't think he's the be-all/end-all of blues guitar, gifted though he is, and I'm not entirely certain he's all that much a solid, no-questions-asked bluesman---maybe he's a little too much bloozerock for my taste when all is said and done. He can be an engaging if somewhat over the top performer. That he's done a fine job of keeping people interested in the blues is without question; that he's the greatest thing to hit the blues guitar since its original amplification is not.

There will be those fanbois who regard even such benign enunciation as I just offered as evidence of "hating," whether it were applied to Joe Bonamassa or others with similarly slavish devotees. I'm not sure there's much one can do to change or even broaden their thinking. About all you can do is let them rant their heads off, shake your own sadly, and find people to talk to who do not have the inclination toward sending you to the guillotine merely because you turned one of their sacred cows into steak.

13. RSRD

RSRD Member

Coldplay is the most original band since U2

14. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

15. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Jello Biafra ate my parakeet

16. HugalosPizza

HugalosPizza Member

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

A thread about negativity would seem to me to foster and encourage more negativity.

I'm not the brightest light bulb, but it might be better to start a thread about positives seeking more positives... than a negative one right from the gate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.