• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The never ending delay quest

Weerez935

I'm looking for a simple delay that sounds good in front of the amp with fuzz / disto in front. I'd like to be able to thicken leads and for other songs use it behind a slow engine for violin type sounds (more reverby than delay).

ones I didn't bond with:

DD-20 sounded great until I through fuzz in front

Alter Ego V2: I had a hard time getting natural delays without modulation.

I've been looking at:
Ibanez DE-7
AD999
DM-2W

I'm open to any suggestions.

rodbender

I wonder if the DD-20's buffer was the reason it wasn't playing well with your fuzz. Try some true bypass delays instead and see if they behave better with your fuzz pedal.

Weerez935

It's a stomp under foot green russian fuzz. I'll try out some true bypass delays. The DD20 would basically disappear. I played with it for about a month before I gave up. The alter ego didn't mind the fuzz but I was always using the dm2 settings because it wasn't covered in modulation.

I like modulated delays but they don't fit this project very well.

I'm assuming the DM-2w would probably behave similar to the DD20 if the issue is the buffer.

7thString

I wonder if the DD-20's buffer was the reason it wasn't playing well with your fuzz. Try some true bypass delays instead and see if they behave better with your fuzz pedal.
This seems odd. In my experience the DD-20 took fuzz really well. I a/b'd it with my timeline and the dd20 was a clear winner.
Maybe try a dd-2/dd-3. I just got a DD-2 and it works beautifully with dirt

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I recommend any one of these. All are excellent, IMO.

Flashback
Providence
Free the tone
Deep Blue Delay

mdmack

The DD-20 thing is weird to me as well but I am admittedly a big fanboy. That being said the el Capistan took dirt better than any other delay i have ever used. I do not still have the pedal because I just did not bond with the UI and I wanted a few presets, but it took dirt like an absolute champ.

bass_econo

I don't think the buffer should be an issue. The DD-20 issue sounds like something else. Buffers should only be a problem before(some) fuzzes.

Grenville

I have 3 delays on my board, if I was in your shoes I'd try the Catalinbread Belle Epoch, a delay that warms things up without getting in the way of your playing at all.

For context: I'm also using a TC Nova for more prominent delay as an effect, and a TC Flashback Mini for swampy modulated sounds.

Multicellular

I don't think the buffer should be an issue. The DD-20 issue sounds like something else. Buffers should only be a problem before(some) fuzzes.
Yep.

Some good recommendations above. Throwing out another cause it is new and you might not have heard of it.

Digitech Obscura. Studio quality sounds imho and in a small package. Even tap tempo if you hold the switch down for a couple seconds. The LoFI mode is my go to with fuzz or distortion. Limited frequency range so it doesn't make stuff muddy. Tape setting does have modulation.

I had looked over digitech stuff for some time, having prejudices from the 90s, but they've got some great stuff coming out now.

ilyslue2

I have/have had a lot of delay pedals....for your requirements I would recommend a ad999 for distorted/fuzzy leads. The beauty of running it front is that you can leave it always on and it will be more prominent when you boost for leads....that is if you run the amp at the verge of breakup.

For the violin type things I would have tried a second delay capable of ducking. In a pinch the ad999 will work for that also, but you have to change settings during performance.....

Trending Topics