The new 339 - pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bbarnard, Jan 11, 2008.

1. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

The 339 is here (I actually have it at the office since we have a gig tonight over near Jacksonville). It was delivered last night. I like it a lot so far. Nice weight, sounds great. It really does sit right between a 335 and an LP sonically. The Memphis tone circuit is pretty cool. Doesn’t completely eliminate the tone roll off when you back off of the volume but the decrease isn’t nearly as large as most guitars. I really like the higher frets that are on it and the big neck for me is perfect (but I like big necks). It isn’t a HUGE neck but it is beefy. Needs a small bit of attention to the nut as there is still some pinging when the G, B and high E strings are adjusted but otherwise fit and finish look great. Frets are a little edgey where they are bound but not outrageously so. If I hadn’t owned a Grosh I probably wouldn’t really have noticed it, it’s just that Groshes fret work is unreal. The weight and feel are great and the 57 classics sound really good. Much more articulate than the hums that are in my Tokai 335.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It isn't as red as the photos, the flash makes the red pop out some.

2. bilbal

bilbal Member

Beautiful - enjoy!!! 57's are great IMO.

3. FlackBase

FlackBase Felonious Monkey Gold Supporting Member

Man I have GOT to get one of those. That's the color I want too!

4. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Where's the gig ??? ;)

5. kanderson

kanderson Member

she's a beaut! :AOK

6. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Looks to me like the paperwork is piling up...quite farting around and get back to work!

A

sweet axe too, bro...nice! :)

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Can you describe the neck profile? Beautiful guitar.

8. marko

marko Member

NICE!
    so you got you one. man, that looks killer. i can't find one locally to demo yet. hope some show up in the stores eventually.

how does it "play" and "construction" look compared to your Tokais?

i picked up a customized white 2 pu(lipsticks) melody maker that is on the way right now. pics to follow.

9. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Nice! That's a stock pickguard?

10. mailman

mailman Member

Don't think he's taken the protective paper off the pickguard yet!:jo

11. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

Thats a hot guitar, nice score.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

how is the upper fret access? Those small cutaways look like they'd be hard to do the clapton thing with. Also, is it neck heavy at all?

13. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

On my 339, it is not the easiest thing to get up in the cutaway for soloing, but you (or at least I did) quickly learn to adapt your playing while up there. If someone played the majority of their solos in the last few frets of the guitar, they might need to spend some time up there until getting used to the horn. Overall, the guitar is a pleasure to play.

14. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Hahaha! I thought it was white pearl :NUTS

15. eryque

eryque Member

I've only played a 339 once, but upper fret access seemed no more or less crowded than it did on my Sheraton. It's one of the few design flaws I find with the 335 style guitars.

16. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Sorry didn't see this until too late. We were at the Frisky Mermaid in Fernandina Beach. Fun gig!

17. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

It is beefy. Larger than my Tokai 335 which is pretty much a 59 neck. Several others have described it as having a little edge to it but it is very subtle. It doesn't go immediately into a rounded but the difference is so minor that it doesn't effect me at all. My Tokai has a great feeling neck except it is a little smallish in the first five frets and at the nut because the nut is only 41mm. No issues with that on this. My buddy played it today and he usually likes necks smaller than I like and while he thought it was beefy, after playing it for about a half hour he said it felt great and he really liked it.

18. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

It may cause me to put the Tokai up for sale. Not that I don't like the Tokai but a couple things make it possible to think about selling the Tokai. Fit and finish are pretty close. The one thing this made me realize is that slightly higher taller bigger frets make things a little easier to play. This has frets that are about like 6105s. It seems to make things ring out a little more. It has enough of a "woody" sound that it really sits in there right between a 335 and LP. And the 57 classic pups are clearer and more articulate than the stock ones on the Tokai. That could likely be remedied on the Tokai. The neck is bigger overall. Less so from frets 5-7 and higher and definitely wider at the nut, all of which I really like. The Tokai is slightly "slinkier" to play but again I think that's the fret height. The 339 doesn't "thud" out when the volume is rolled off which is the Memphis tone circuit. Don't get me wrong the Tokai is a GREAT guitar but the 339 just has a wonderful sound. Cuts through the mix without sounding harsh or strident which I attribute to the "woody" sound. Can get snarly though if pushed with the right amp and/or pedal.

19. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have now but you were correct.

20. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'd agree with fretnot. It is a little tight but I think you'll get used to it quickly unless you've got really large hands. Not as good as a normal 335 but no more difficult for me than a LP.

It has a great sound and plays fantastically. Not neck heavy at all. I adjusted to playing it (as compared to my Tokai 335) within minutes.

My ONLY complaint is that for SOME reason Gibson decided to use different size screws for the butt strap button than the neck strap button (even though the stock buttons are the same size). I have the larger head PRS type buttons on the Tokai and I was going to swap them on the 339 for the gig last night because I didn't want to take a chance on it coming off the strap while playing but the screw on the butt end of the guitar won't fit through the hole of the larger PRS type buttons that I have. The neck one worked just fine. So I'm going to have to do some looking for something that will work or drill out one. I don't like strap locks on 335 type guitars as they tend to mar the finish.