• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The New Boss DD-200

marxxx

i got this pedal a couple of weeks ago...
did the firmware update this past weekend.
takes a long time,
but just be patient, it worked like a charm.

no difference i could hear, in ANY of the settings...
but, now i have 127 memory slots! cool!
Page 11 in the online manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/DD-200_V110_eng01_W.pdf
“Specifies whether the effect sound is carried-over (on) or not carried-over (oFF) when you switch sounds or turn off the delay.”
Took me 20 minutes to update to 1.1, with a new 2.0 Micro-USB cable.

So, the new preset memories are indicated by "N-1..." = 1, through "N-01" = 101, etc.? I thought there was going to be an option to select how many additional presets you get. No?
Question:

Does the DD-200 do Frippertronics-type looping?
As I explained in another thread, the max length I could get form a pair of Revox A77 was 6 seconds, and it was really painfull to set (balancing noise vs distortion in the feedback loop, synchronizing the two tape record motor speed etc..) not to mention the transport of 18 kg of a pair of reel to reel machines.:D
Furthermore, 5 sec is OK for most of the Frippertronics loops I do with my band, as I have to synch the loop with the song tempo.
Wondering how to power this pedal?
I use a onespot for my DD500 so I don't think you need anything fancy.
Does this pedal support remote bypass via midi?
No one else having a problem with the switches? My bypass switch is wonky, cuts the signal sometimes and has all kinds of static. I put a repair request in to Boss but I have to send it across the country but I'm using it for recording right now, just working around the problem. After this song is done I guess I'll send it in. So much for getting a deal on a used one, going to have to pay the repair bill. I really wish Boss stayed with the old classic footswitch like the DD20.
I know, I thought that MD200 had some great sounds in it, ability to program presets, no menu diving, etc. On paper it had what I wanted but I'll be waiting a while and see if others have been having similar issues to our units.
No issue with the DD200 switches from my side, so far...
Yep, mine is powered off the 250ma output on my PP2+. It's definitely the switch acting up. It worked fine for a few months.
This is a little worrisome considering these are the first Boss pedals built in Malaysia( I think). I hope they aren't compromising on reliable builds to save some money. I'm ready for a RV200 but not if they are cheaply built.
Anyone able to make a good comparison with the Nemesis?
Anyone controlling their DD-200 with MIDI? I'm having a devil of a time setting it up. Thanks!
Yes. I am controlling all of my 200 series pedals via MIDI. What issues are you having?
You can go into the system settings of the pedal and turn the looper function off completely.
I bought and installed the Rockboard switch toppers on my DD200 and these one neither did'nt work for me. That was the fourth top switcher model I tried, but everytime, the problem is the too low key travel of these switches.
However, it's not a major issue, since the switches are very smooth to activate.
Thinking about a DD200 - y’all know if you can use two delays at once (shorter for rhythm and then longer for solos while keeping short delay on)? like you can with the DD 500? Thanks!
The closest you can get is you can set up a couple of presets and switch between them or use the tap tempo.
I dont understand how the modulation knob works , I have seen a few videos. Does it increase the modulation speed and depth the same time? if only the depth then the speed of the modulation is relevant to the delay time?
Hope you don’t mind me leaping in here,
and resurrecting an old comment, but I’m having quite the time working out how to sync delay times via MIDI. I’ve set sync to ’Auto’ but it doesn’t appear to work. Is there any indicator on the display when external sync is in effect?
Does anyone know a good ext dual footswitch to go both ways on the presets?
I believe the Boss FS-7 will work.
I have one...I just never tried it with my DD-200. I'll have to test it out this evening.
Yes, the FS-7 will do it. That’s what I use it for.
Also been wondering this
For my MD-200 I do that with a small Saturnworks switch I bought on Reverb for about $37. Dual switch. You need one that's "normally closed."
Hi everyone, I’m thinking of getting either one of these or a DD-8. One thing I saw in the manual of the DD-8 is that it has a few stereo panning effect modes

I can’t find any info on whether the DD-200 does this or not. Curiously the DD-200 manual is much more brief. Does anyone know?
Have you ever get an answer to this by any chance?

**Edit I found the answer. Pressing the time knob switches between BPM and MS. Simple
Was wondering the same thing. I'm looking into grabbing a DD-200, but I'd love to know if you can change the stereo out settings, like you can with the DD-8. The nice thing about my EHX Grand Canyon is the ability to change the stereo outs from Ping Pong to "normal", at the touch of a button.
Sadly not possible, at the moment it's only possible to switch between "stereo" and "wet/dry". The only setting where the output is kinda ping pong would be the pattern setting.

I hope they adress this in a future firmware update, it's one of only two gripes I have with the DD-200 (my 2nd gripe : I would likento have kill dry on the Effects knob on max, at the moment only in reverse setting possible).

Otherwise, love it, own it twice, on my small guitar board and on my main bass board.
Well I picked one up! The stereo modes aren’t that big of a deal really. For the price I wish they would have included the adapter, but I like it so far, and I’ve really only scratched the surface with it. My first Boss pedal, looking at their PH-3 now.
Does this have analog dry-thru, or is your dry signal converted to digital too?

EDIT: Yes, it does <3
9v at 200-250milamps
Can users of the DD-200 tell me:
  1. Have you noticed any latency when switching presets using MIDI?
  2. Does the pedal introduce any hiss?

Hi guys,
I have bought a DD200 and then an extra dual footswitch to be able to change Memory Bank easily,
I'm having an issue, I cannot move back and forth memory bank with the extra dual footswitch "WHILE IN LOOPER MODE", I can only do that when in normal mode.
How come?
I have followed the manual and set the extra footswitch properly:
C1F (CTL1 FUNCTION) > left extra footswitch
C2F (CTL2 FUNCTION) > right extra footswitch
Then I set:
MUP. (MEMORY UP, ON/OFF): Increments
the memory number according to the
MEMORY EXTENT setting.
MDN. (MEMORY DOWN, ON/OFF): Decrements
the memory number according to the
MEMORY EXTENT setting.

But still NOT working when you enter "LOOPER MODE", is it possible to move up and down memory banks while in looper mode with an extra footswitch? (in normal mode it works fine)
If yes HOW?

Libonati

Having trouble finding a momentary footswitch for my Boss DD-200. I only need it to go up/down on my 8 presets. Have anyone tried the Hotone FS-1 footswitch?

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member
Hey everyone, former DD-500 owner with a few questions about the DD-200:

1- In the DD-500 I was able to tweak the Tera Echo into what was basically a modulated reverb. Can the DD-200 do this?
2- The DD-500 can run 2 effects in parallel. The DD-200 CAN'T do this, am I right?
3- Is there a way to go back and forth between at least two presets?
4- I don't see much on-board controls but can delay engines be tweaked via a computer to tailor the EQ of the repeats like in the DD-500?

Thanks a lot :)

rkharper

Hey everyone, former DD-500 owner with a few questions about the DD-200:

1- In the DD-500 I was able to tweak the Tera Echo into what was basically a modulated reverb. Can the DD-200 do this?
2- The DD-500 can run 2 effects in parallel. The DD-200 CAN'T do this, am I right?
3- Is there a way to go back and forth between at least two presets?
4- I don't see much on-board controls but can delay engines be tweaked via a computer to tailor the EQ of the repeats like in the DD-500?

Thanks a lot :)

1.no
2.no
3.yes,depends on how you set your internal or external footswitches.
4.no deep editing possible

lazy3yed

The Hotone dual footswitch is normally open, I believe. You'll need normally closed switches for Boss pedals, e.g. DD200, RC3, etc...

You can try American Loopers. I got my RC3 single switch there. Build quality is excellent!

Or just get the FS-7?

Having trouble finding a momentary footswitch for my Boss DD-200. I only need it to go up/down on my 8 presets. Have anyone tried the Hotone FS-1 footswitch?

Last edited:

lazy3yed

Anyone has this problem? The time value is not retained for the "Manual" mode when switching presets. I remembered the old DD-20 wasn't like this; you can move between presets on the DD-20 and still get back the timing you've set for the manual mode. The "Hold Tempo" setting is also not retained.

Probably not a big deal, but I find it annoying to have to set the "manual" mode time again and again...

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone has this problem? The time value is not retained for the "Manual" mode when switching presets. I remembered the old DD-20 wasn't like this; you can move between presets on the DD-20 and still get back the timing you've set for the manual mode. The "Hold Tempo" setting is also not retained.

Probably not a big deal, but I find it annoying to have to set the "manual" mode time again and again...

The manual mode resetting every time is not an issue for me as I use it for tinkering. Now if the saved presets did that...then there would be a problem.

Flowergun

Anyone here with the DD 200 AND the Tera echo? I wonder how the DD version sounds compared? I'm a huge fan of the TE and would like to get a DD 200 instead of a backup TE.

jawajt

Was wondering the same thing. I'm looking into grabbing a DD-200, but I'd love to know if you can change the stereo out settings, like you can with the DD-8. The nice thing about my EHX Grand Canyon is the ability to change the stereo outs from Ping Pong to "normal", at the touch of a button.

Bumping this thread to say that I gave the DD-200 a try. First, I have to say the different delay modes all sound excellent. But as I feared, the lack of stereo output options got to me. I picked up a DD-8, and the wide stereo mode just sounds amazing, especially on the Modulate setting. Again, the 200 is a fantastic pedal, especially if you’re ok with the output options. With any luck, Boss will do a firmware update that allows the same output options as the DD-8.

kimonostereo

The Boss DD-200 firmware page states:

[ Ver.1.11 ] SEP 2021
[ Bug Fixes ]
The following bugs were fixed.
  • The MEMORY EXTENT setting is ignored when in looper mode.
  • Tone adjustment cannot be performed using the knobs on the top panel when in looper mode.

josetxu

I’ve just bought one and I find I have to turn level and feedback too low to sit nicely in a mix, don’t know if it’s normal.

Also, is there any way to know the settings stored on a preset?

UELong

Done successfully. Lucky, I guess.
The Boss DD-200 firmware page states:

[ Ver.1.11 ] SEP 2021
[ Bug Fixes ]
The following bugs were fixed.
  • The MEMORY EXTENT setting is ignored when in looper mode.
  • Tone adjustment cannot be performed using the knobs on the top panel when in looper mode.
Thanks. Updating from 1.02. Does someone know how long the update takes? At present, I'm a blind guy who can't see the display, and would like an estimate about when I can shut the DD off.

Last edited:

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. Updating from 1.02. Does someone know how long the update takes? At present, I'm a blind guy who can't see the display, and would like an estimate about when I can shut the DD off.

It was done for me in under 30 minutes. I'd say to be extra careful give it an hour, and get someone to help you out if necessary to be sure. I've heard it can vary greatly for people.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member

Mine does this. Any pedal with presets like this always has little quirks like this and it's why I usually just gravitate toward simpler pedals that do one thing and the controls are always how they look on the face. That said, I really like the DD-200 and I'm keeping it around. It sounds awesome, and it's less quirky for me than some other digital super-delay boxes from other brands.

Straker

Mine does this. Any pedal with presets like this always has little quirks like this and it's why I usually just gravitate toward simpler pedals that do one thing and the controls are always how they look on the face. That said, I really like the DD-200 and I'm keeping it around. It sounds awesome, and it's less quirky for me than some other digital super-delay boxes from other brands.
Yeah I also like it a lot because it's like a stompbox, any parameter on a knob, I don't use presets with dd200, I just twist knobs and that's it.
I had dd500 before, they sound the same but dd500 has many more parameters and can really be a perfect studio tool but dd200 is more funny to tweak.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I also like it a lot because it's like a stompbox, any parameter on a knob, I don't use presets with dd200, I just twist knobs and that's it.
I had dd500 before, they sound the same but dd500 has many more parameters and can really be a perfect studio tool but dd200 is more funny to tweak.

Thanks for sharing that. I sometimes toy with upgrading to the DD-500, but it's HUGE, and I gotta keep reminding myself that I do NOT like menu diving, not even a little bit. The DD-200 never requires me to go beyond the face controls, and it's a big plus for me.

Straker

Thanks for sharing that. I sometimes toy with upgrading to the DD-500, but it's HUGE, and I gotta keep reminding myself that I do NOT like menu diving, not even a little bit. The DD-200 never requires me to go beyond the face controls, and it's a big plus for me.
Yeah that's the beauty of dd200, it's like having 12 stompboxes in one.
DD500 requires menu diving but actually you have so many parameters you can really obtain anything you want.
I would say dd500 for studio, dd200 for live, jamming and so on.
Anyway if you like dd200, keep that, I didn't lose so much going from dd500 to dd200, and I really love dd200 the more I use it.
Tape is just great as Lofi as also the standard and drum. Beautiful delays from Boss legacy.
On dd500 though you have a complete Space echo, on dd200 half of it (but it does sound great anyway)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom