The New Boss FV-30H Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CEFlint, Mar 14, 2015.

1. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

[​IMG]

I've used a Dunlop High Gain volume pedal for several years. Very happy with it over others, including the Ernie Ball VP Jr. (Replaced 3 Kevlar strings in 6 months with that one, and I'm not rough on my gear at all). While the Dunlop is not huge (Cry Baby case & smaller than the EB), I decided to look for something with a smaller footprint.

In addition the the EB, I previously tried a DOD FX17, AMT LLM2 and a Morley Mini-Volume. All of these pedals required power, and I could live with that, but it really didn't bring much to the table in return. The Boss is passive and requires no power to operate. Like my Dunlop.

The DOD was the best of this lot, though I never found a usable wah tone. But I had gotten it for the volume side. Nice sweep, no noise, and solid build. Problem here was that the pedal required a non standard DC adapter or batteries. Batteries didn't last very long and I just wasn't going to run another adapter. When the battery died in mid-song, so did you signal. I decided to move on.

The AMT was extremely uncomfortable due to size of pedal vs size of my size 12 foot. Because of its size and weight, I'm not sure it could be used off a pedal board. In addition, the 0 dB boost was not unity and there was significant bottom end loss. I could never find a clean unity setting with this pedal. If boosted to 6dB, the tone loss was not as apparent, but I did not want the boost.

The Morley, while a small treadle, actually had a wider footprint than my Dunlop. In addition, the throw forward took my foot to an uncomfortable position to get full volume. I sold the DOD & Morley and returned the AMT. Keeping the trusty Dunlop.

Boss FV-30H
    I received the new Boss FV-30H volume pedal earlier this week. A/B'd at home with no other pedals in line and if there's any tone/signal loss, I can't hear it at any volume level. The FV30 puts thru a very nice unity signal. As far as I can hear, plugging a tuner into the tuner out has no effect on the signal. Good feature and works great.

The pedal is about 3" shorter than the Dunlop, but it is very comfortable under foot. Also opens up some additional space on my board for a tuner or a digital clock. Works well on a pedalboard or on the floor.

Took it to a rehearsal Monday night and it performed exceptionally well. Fully forward is unity and fully back is totally off. The pedal does a very nice job on swells, kicking volume up/down for solo/rhythm, and does a really nice job controlling volume and sustain while playing slide with a fuzz. "Off" means "Off" (unlike some of the earlier AMTs which never fully muted your signal).

My only small issues are that 1) you'll need to rock forward about 20% before any signal can be heard, and 2) the full throw is a bit more than I'm used to with my Dunlop. I'll get used to this with a little more time.

The aluminum case is solid and well built. Haven't opened it up, so I don't know of any internal adjustments. The manual doesn't mention any, but it does cover 10 different languages so your stage crew can understand how a passive volume pedal works while you're on tour pretty much anywhere in the world..

The volume mechanism uses a metal shaft rather than the EB Kevlar string, or the Dunlop wah-type gears. This should last a long time, although I have been very happy with the quality and sound of the Dunlop.

Last night was the first gig test, and, aside from the above, it performed great. Time will tell, but I believe Boss has a real winner with this pedal and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
    Anyone looking for a nice, small footprint volume pedal should check this one out.

klapaucjusz1 likes this.
  2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Member

Many thanks for the great review. Very interested in this one, as I need to add a good volume pedal to the stable.

3. OliveBridge

OliveBridge Member

Thanks for the review, I've been looking at this and the Fractal Audio volume pedal.

Are you saying the first 20% of the the sweep doesn't do anything? How even is the sweep? Is there a jump in volume anywhere (or a small portion where it's uneven from the rest of the sweep)?

4. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

Sweep is smooth and even. No spikes or sudden increases or drops. I'm not going to say it's perfectly linear. Moving slowly from "off" to "full", there is a slightly quicker volume increase in the early position as the pedal moves forward and evens out. But it's a smooth increase and not a spike. (It is slight enough that I had not noticed this until your question, but went back to check myself before answering.)

The pedal does have to be moved forward some for volume. 20% is a guess, maybe less, certainly no more. Up side is that when it's off, it doesn't "leak" any signal if touched slightly or bumped. I'm ok with this as I use it to change guitars or for tuning, in addition to swells and other effects.

I did find this photo for size comparison with the EBJr. Shorter and slimmer, but still big enough to put your foot on.

[​IMG]

klapaucjusz1 likes this.
  5. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Are you running the 30H first? I have both the H & L FV300 & even though they say to run the the 'L' after other pedals I found the L to cut to much of the gain of my dirt boxes...

6. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about putting the low impedance version in my loop.

7. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I run it after dirt before the amp loop.

Wah > Dirt > Comp > FV30H > Amp Loop > Delay > Mod > Amp

8. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I'd advise you to run it in front, the sweep/linear thing with the travel starting 'later' is a typical side effect of a potential impedance mismatch.
    Since it's the -H model, it expects to see a high impedance signal (i.e. your guitar's output, or a true bypass pedal in bypass).
    If your wah, dirt and comp are true bypass, it wouldn't matter that much, until you switch 'em on..

In most cases with Boss FV-series I tried, the -L version work perfectly smooth from heel to toe.
    All of the -H versions have side-effects that you describe: sweep isn't linear, and the sweep isn't instantaneous when following the pedal's travel.
    Most -H versions I've stuck after drives, have an almost 'on/off' effect; the effect starts after 20-30% of the travel and the sweep isn't gradual..

9. IRG

IRG Member

This looks awesome. I wasn't even aware Boss had a new volume pedal out, where've I've been, lol. I want something quiet for swells, my EB VP Jr has a very scratchy pot, which I think you have to replace, not sure it's worth it.

And I didn't want the large Boss volume pedal either, so this one size wise is perfect. Have you tried the tuner out? I do use mine with a Boss TU-11 or whatever it is, I really don't notice any tone suck using it, though some swear there is. Glad the Boss mono version of this does.

10. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I do have all true bypass in wah and dirt. However, after moving to the front of the chain, I'm not hearing any difference with dirt on or off. In addition, one use of my volume pedal is to tame dirt while playing slide. Using it before affects the guitar level hitting the dirt pedals and diminishes the control when using the slide.

The move also had no effect on the pedal being off for the initial part of the sweep. No on/off effect at all. No quick jump or spike. Just not perfectly linear, even with nothing hooked up but the FV-30.

These were also characteristics of the Dunlop High Gain pedal (except the Dunlop did not travel so far to come on), which I used for years (and still will) and like very much.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

So far, I find that this pedal handles swells nice and clean.

I have tried the tuner out and it works as expected. However, when I use a tuner out, it is typically with a tuner I'll leave on all the time, such as a TU3 or a Polytune Noir v1. The Polytune has a noise issue when the display is lit..(?) Not sure what's going on there. Works fine with the TU3. However, I usually run my boards with a Pedal Juice or a Volto battery supply. With that in mind, I don't want to leave a tuner on all the time draining the charge. I've got my Turbo Tuner on the board and problem solved.

The tuner out is a nice feature though.

11. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

If it is anything like my beloved FV500 I will grab one for sure.

12. IRG

IRG Member

Cool, sounds good to me. I power my Boss TU-15 with a power supply, so no battery drain. I leave mine on too when I'm playing. But I like that no pedals run through it.

13. NobleGtrs

NobleGtrs Member

Been looking at getting this pedal myself

14. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

When powering the board with AC, I'll usually run a Turbo Tuner or TU-3, so it's always on. I was doing a job one night with a bassist who did not know many of the tunes we were doing. He later told me that whenever he got lost, he'd just look at my tuner to help figure out the chord we were on! Whatever works, I guess!

15. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

Praise Jebus! The Boss volume used to be the one without the stupid EBVP string but was ludicrously large. They fixed it! Boss actually genuinely improved one of their products!

16. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

I wish this had an exp out like the 500's

17. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

Fair enough, everybody has their own feel and experience!
    I haven't tried the -30 series yet, so maybe they've improved my 'gripes'.

I'm using the -500L after drives and before delay as well, to tame the dirt ('master volume') without changing the guitar level hitting the OD/drive section. Using a -50L and -500H after drives really impedes (pun intended) the sweep and what-have-you-nots.

True, though it also depends on the way you look at the -30: is it Boss' downsized big pedal, or Boss' better constructed small pedal?
    - is it a smaller FV-300 series pedal (much praised, but even larger than the current -500s) ? That would explain the number, -50H/-50L are to the -500H/500L, what the -30s are to the -300.
    - is it a re-envisioned FV-50 series pedal? Which would keep the small footprint, but improve the sweep and all-plastic construction.

18. NobleGtrs

NobleGtrs Member

Just bought the fv 30h, love the size

As an Ernie ball jr user for years it's hard to move to the sweep of the fv 30h

Maybe I'll get used to it

19. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Did you ever get used to it Noble? I'm curious, thinking of replacing my EBJr.

20. NobleGtrs

NobleGtrs Member

Honestly not really yet, it's still on my board though haha

The sweep is odd to me as a Ernie ball jr user. I do love the size though