The new EH Little Big Muff???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mustangman, Jan 29, 2006.

1. mustangman

mustangman Member

Does anyone know if theres a sound difference between the soon to come Little Big Muff and the regular Big Muff???

becuase all that i can tell from looks is that there's a little change in shape and logo and its a little bit smaller and also the pots are placed differently, other then that it looks all the same.

heres a pic of the soon to come Little Big Muff and the regular one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey man,

It looks the same. At least it's nothing like the old Little Big Muff. Could be that they finally realised they need a smaller footprint in order for people to be willing to put it on their boards. The regular Big Muff is huge! I hope it's the same as the regular. Sure got me interested!

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Back in the 70s and early 80s, the Little Big Muff was the same size as pedals like the Small Stone or LPB2 or Small Clone. This new model looks like EH is using Hammond-style boxes now.

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Looks nice. Wasn't the old Little Big Muff preset for maximum sustain?

One gripe: why in the world has E-H replaced the ultra cool looking knobs with the new flat ones? Boring... I don't even think they offer anything over the old ones in functionality..

5. MrSage

MrSage Member

Looks sweet, whatever it is!

Should be great mod-fodder...

6. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Did any of the NAMMers get a look at the cut sheet on the LBM? Is it the same circuit as the USA reissue?

7. ABKB

ABKB Member

The only thing that has kept me from getting a Big Muff has always been the size. This thing has my ears perked, especially if it is a decent sounding Muff.

8. AL30

AL30 Member

I didn't even know they reissued that one. Doesn't look anything like the original.

A quick search for the original schem yeilded these comment from Tobias Karlsson.

"The Little Big Muff... is basically the same circuit as Big Muff... but with fixed values for Fuzz and Tone. The Fuzz setting in the Little Big Muff is like a maxed out Big Muff and the Tone is like the end positions of the Big Muff Tone knob."

The original had one knob and that crazy, little on-off slider switch that EH was so fond of.

Looks like the new one is a Big Muff in a smaller package.

AL

9. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Those descriptions pretty much jive with my recollections of what the LBM I used to own sounded like. It had WAY more gain than I needed with no way to knock it back, and the fixed tone setting wasn't where I would have wanted it. I preferred the sound of the full-size Muff.

Maybe this new LBM solves some of those problems.

10. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Then how about one of these? :D

[​IMG]

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Who makes that and what does it cost? I'd love to get an exact clone of my Ram's Head Muff (which is what I'm assuming that is)...

12. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

It's made by D*A*M (Differential Audio Manifestationz), sold in the USA for $249 through http://www.musictoyz.com . The UK website is http://www.stompboxes.co.uk . It's sold as a 1976 replica... I'm liking mine so far, but I haven't had it for very long!

13. eknapier

eknapier Member

wow, anyone tried one of these Ram's HEad's yet? I'm still breaking in my Foxey Fuzz, but this thing looks pretty hot....

14. mustangman

mustangman Member

yeah i was looking into the ram head also, looks great. im just having trouble deciding between that and an Analogman Sun face.

15. ABKB

ABKB Member

Thanks for reminding me Alex, the D*A*M is on my list of wants. But at $249, I am going to wait and see how much EH wants for the new LBM and how good it sounds.

16. mustangman

mustangman Member

the price is going to be some where between $60-$75 because the list price is $90.

17. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I must admit I've always been a bit of a sucker for BM's. A while back, I got a Skreddy Mayo. I really like that one, lots of gain and a lovely smooth character with a bit more mids than the current EH-version.

I also have D*A*M Ram Head on order. Should be with me sometime in April! Wow, David is getting really busy!

I also might get the new LBM. Looks so good and that small footprint is a great idea, especially if the circuit is identical to its bigger brother.

18. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Found a price and availiability list for the new EH stuff. Can someone remind me how you post photos? Let me know and I'll post it.

19. mustangman

mustangman Member

was it this??

[​IMG]

20. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

There's a yellow and green landscape or something on the reply screen. Click that and insert the URL.