The new EVM 12L. Your experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by quinnamps, Apr 4, 2008.

1. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Hey folks,

Looking to hear from some others who have experiences with this speaker.
    Tried one yesterday. Spanking new. I think I am rather impressed.
    I was fearful it would be a huge let down but it was the opposite.
    Have not played a real one in over 10 years but I am really liking these re-issues. It was sounding amazing with the Derby too which is a huge surprise.
    Anyway looking forward to playing it some more.
    Was mostly curious if anyone had any negative experiences with them.

2. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Hi Quinn, I have tried several of the new reissue, and still own two. They sound like I remember them in the 80's. For D style amps, they are the best Ive tried for the clean channel. I find the od ch. more debatable, I may check one out again this weekend. They are good in the OD as well, it's just that other speakers can provide more texture. The EV is pretty even sounding from low to high volume.

3. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Hey BudLite,

What do you prefer over them for the OD side of those amps?
    I must admit it seems the more speakers I try here the less I have a definitive one winner.
    Man I wish GP would put that altec clone out. I think those old ones were maybe the best I have personally had. Would love to try a re-issue.
    Also you mention trying several of the new reissues of EV. Are there any others besides this and the black label one? Did you try one of those as well??
    Speakers can make such a difference in an amp's sound that it is crazy.

4. BudLite

What do you prefer over them for the OD side of those amps?

Well I have not come to a conclusion there, Right at the moment I like the TR 12-65 which came w/ the 2rock sig 1x12cab(most say its a RW&B TR says no, I don't know and don't care). I have tried cele.12-65 and the EV12. Not much luck w/ the 12 65 celestion, but the EV sounded good. I guess I have to compare again.

Also you mention trying several of the new reissues of EV. Are there any others besides this and the black label one? Did you try one of those as well??
    None other that I know of, I have not tried the black one, it is the Zack Wild one 300 watts...sounds like over kill, and cost 50 more.

Speakers can make such a difference in an amp's sound that it is crazy.

I also think the speaker cab makes a big difference, maybe the trick is to find the right speaker for the right cab....and amp to, of course

5. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

LOL thank goodness but I had to ask.

Do let us know if you get around to it. I think the 1265 is one I have not tried yet, even though it is suggested a lot. Did try a 12-35, a neo, a GB, and some other celestion. Thought the neo was pretty decent. Will have to try the 65 at some point.

Ugh. Too true. Another variable.
    What style are you using?
    I am mostly judging from a smallish cab with the rear oval port and similar without any back on.
    No closed or tuned port cabs to try at the moment. Have always preferred the open and oval ported best.
    I am thinking of trying some Thiele and JBL designed enclosures but that won't happen fro a long spell.

Ohhh...Stole this from another post. Scott Lerner quoted:
    "I have a 12S and a 12L. The 12S is creamier and not as present as the 12L. The 12L is a little chimier, but may not sound as good as the 12S does with OD on."

Damn maybe the S would be the ticket!! Of course I am trying to find suitable speakers in production but still..... hmmm..

6. BudLite

I'm using a 1x12 ported back type, You may want to try alf's1x12 front ported w/ a EV12...I had that and it sounded nice w/ the EV

I remember reading Scotts quote, I don't now if the S is available new or Scott bought an older one. That would be worth checking out as well. I have heard folks say a good check for a dumble clone is to see how good it sounds w/ a EV...kind of a test, as HAD seemed to prefer EV's
    heres a pic of alf's cab
    [​IMG]

7. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Shad,
    Check this out.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=252653&highlight=buzzbomb

The Celestion Heritage G12-65 is still the best speaker I have ever plugged into. Mounted in a Port City Wave, it's just unbelievable, with any amp I've plugged into it.
    Dave