The new Fuchs 'Wreck-inspired amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CitizenCain, Sep 27, 2005.

1. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

The local boutique store got a Lucky 7 and Blackjack 21 in. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, so I did a lot of reading up. Since they're 'Wreck-inspired, they should make great lead amps. How do they work for chord work, and can they clean up nice with the guitar volume?

Also, do the little ones compare soundwise to the Train 45? I've got my eye on that Blackjack 21, perfect price and wattage for me. But it's a 6v6 amp and the other two are EL34 amps. I've already got the low watt amp thing covered with a Savage Macht 6.

Looking for the 411 on the new Fuchs :D

Thx!

2. Boomer

Boomer Member

I've got a Train and had a Lucky 7. They aren't very similar as the L7 is a single ended amp. There's a new clip of the L7 on the Fuchs site which represents it pretty well. It can get crunchier than the clip shows and it will also accept a 6V6.

The Train is a different beast altogether. It snorts and growls and still is capable of chimey cleans just rolling off the guitar's volume knob.

The Blackjack 21 should be closer to the Train than it is to the Lucky 7 but I haven't played one.

HTH

3. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Yup, I heard that clip, it sounds awesome! But, I have the Savage for my low watt solution, and I don't want to give that up.

I'll have to swing by the store and play the Blackjack 21. But the thought of that Train 45 keeps running through my head too. GAS is a bad thing, sometimes :p

4. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Played a blackjack and was floored. Hit it with a Esquire RI, but it had the tone man. Sweet grind. Cleaned up nicely with the volume. Pretty touch sensitive too. damn cool amp.

5. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Man, that sounds great, big mike! I'll be using a Strat, an Esquire and various Gibson-style guitars with P90s and mini-hummers. Now I have to go try the Blackjack :D

6. Boomer

Boomer Member

If I every get brave enough to learn how to bias an amp I'd like to try some nice 6V6's in the Train.

7. big mike

I was only using a Mexi Esquire, and I wanted to take the whole rig home. Sick SICK amp. Andy did a crackin job on that one!!!

8. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

That's the second time I've seen you brag on that amp in the past week. I'm telling your Z28. ;)

9. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

LOL...I knew you'd head back over there. Say hello to that ODS 30 and the Suhr for me...I need some money...

10. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Haha! I think I'm headed over there on Sat. I'm going to bring my DiMasi 2x10 to hear what it would sound like through it. If it melts me, and it sounds like it would, I'm trading the Sundown on it. I'm sick...:cool:

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Do you know, is it possible to run EL34s in the Blackjack?

12. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm 99.99% sure you can't but you might confirm with Andy.

13. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Havent heard the smaller ones but heard Andy through the train with my les paul and it smokes!!!

14. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

How does it compare to the Constellation?

15. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I had a chance to play the Train 45 a couple of weeks back and I was impressed. I played it through a Bogner 4- 10 cab and definitely felt the amp was a cut above. Two features that I really liked was the switch on the back which can make the amp respond more agressively or less and the 3 way bright switch on the front panel where you can switch between bright, dark, and flat.

I have never played a real Wreck ( or seen one up close) but I was told by the salesman at the store, (Rocker Guitars, SF, CA),
    that the owner compared one with his "real" wreck and felt that it did those sounds quite favorably.

Take that part with a grain of salt, but I do believe that Mr. Fuchs has come up with a fine product at a very fair price.

Of course, YMMV.

16. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Drool...

You guys are killing me :p

Thx Boomer, just a passing thought. I'll reserve further tube thoughts until I play the Blackjack.:dude

17. big mike

Bring your Checkbook. The ol'lady had mine in the truck and wouldn't turn it loose.

(Rent....big deal....somethings are more important....)

18. Boomer

Boomer Member

You could leave yourself the option of EL34's by getting a Train and having Andy tube it with 6V6's. Then you'll have a really nice BJ 21 and you can pop in some EL34's if you get the urge! :D

19. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I'm dangerous when I'm sporting a checkbook! I'd better keep some semblance of control. Luckily, the store doesn't have a Train ;)

Now I'm really pumped. I want to bring my speaker cab in there to get a true test. It's a custom-made 2x10, a Marshall style cab but with a semi-open back. Ragin' Cajun and Legend 105 speakers. You think they will work OK with the Blackjack?

It's an awesome sounding cab, everything I run through it sounds bigger and more open, tons of low end too.

20. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm dangerous when I'm sporting a checkbook! I'd better keep some semblance of control. Luckily, the store doesn't have a Train

I'm sure Andy would be happy to ship one to the store! ;)

Now I'm really pumped. I want to bring my speaker cab in there to get a true test. It's a custom-made 2x10, a Marshall style cab but with a semi-open back. Ragin' Cajun and Legend 105 speakers. You think they will work OK with the Blackjack?

I've never used 10's with any amp but a Bassman and that was a long time ago so I can't really help there.