The "New Generation" series of Gibson Acoustics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Irving Pye, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

If you have seen the new "G-45", I have a question. Did Gibson take the j-15 and rename it the G-45 with a few tweeks?

2. prototype

prototype Member

Interesting. sure sounds like it. will have to wait and see the neck specs etc

3. The Kid

The Kid Member

They should have just kept the J-15 as the J-15 if that's what they did. So they got rid of the 15,29, and 35 and came out with a different series? Just makes things unnecessarily confusing.

4. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

This just in...

"The J 15 is still in the line for 2019 that has a 12 inch radiius vs 16 inch radius on the G 45 studio.

Remember the neck on the J 15 is Maple .
    The G 45 studio will have something different( not sure what it is yet)for neck material."

5. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Don Ruffato says they are all solid wood.

Seems a dream deal, solid wood, made in USA.

6. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

I'd say changing the wood for the back and sides is a bit more than a "tweek." I'm not sure based on the verbiage I saw on the Guitar.com article about this, but the back and sides may not be solid. The top is listed as "solid Sitka spruce" but the back and sides are just listed as "walnut back and sides." I find that if it isn't explicit that woods are solid, we're probably looking at laminate.

All that said, I think this may be a smart move for Gibson. Martin has long offered a much wider range of options in just about every possible pricepoint. Can't afford a $700 guitar? That's ok, they have one for $550! Gibson has sort of languished here, where the best Gibson you can get for $1000 is a used one, if you're lucky. I'm in the market for a J-45 now, so if it turns out the sides are solid and these sound good, I may go for one myself!

7. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

This is a smart move at $999 and $1299 (studio vs standard) as they have been missing out on sales at that price point for a very long time. Plenty of people would buy a Gibson acoustic at the right price (for them). I assume that is MAP pricing and these guitars might very well sell even slightly under that price for those that know how to dicker.

The lack of "solid" in front of "walnut back and sides" does suggest it's a laminate too.

Irving Pye likes this.
  8. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

watch the Cosmo Music video report on the G-45 guitars

"all solid woods" is one of the first things Don Ruffato says about the guitars, of course there are limits to the awesomeness, Richlite and satin finishes and such, but really, solid wood guitars built in Bozeman Montana

AllanAnd likes this.
  9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

Probably a good idea to wait until you can play one. In my experience entry-level Gibson acoustics aren't great and there are many offshore brands that are simply far better instruments for the sort of money Gibson are asking.

10. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I agree, wait and see is best, but of the US brands, this is a unique approach, non laminate made in USA for low $$$, no need to make opinions yet.

11. plextasy

plextasy Member

Has anyone played one yet? I played a Songwriter and fell in love several years ago but for how seldom I play acoustic I’d jump on the G-45 if it was even close.

12. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Not a J-15. The depth of the body is thinner and the fretboard is flatter.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

we got one in and it sounds great, slightly reduced body depth and all.

it's loud when you lay into it, with a bit more brightness than a typical mahogany slope-shoulder.

Rod likes this.
  14. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I played the G-45 Studio yesterday. The specs say the fretboard and back/sides are walnut on this model. Sounded pretty good, but the vibe was a little off. I couldn't see myself buying one.