The "New Generation" series of Gibson Acoustics

Irving Pye

If you have seen the new "G-45", I have a question. Did Gibson take the j-15 and rename it the G-45 with a few tweeks?

The Kid

They should have just kept the J-15 as the J-15 if that's what they did. So they got rid of the 15,29, and 35 and came out with a different series? Just makes things unnecessarily confusing.

Irving Pye

This just in...

"The J 15 is still in the line for 2019 that has a 12 inch radiius vs 16 inch radius on the G 45 studio.

Remember the neck on the J 15 is Maple .
The G 45 studio will have something different( not sure what it is yet)for neck material."

I'd say changing the wood for the back and sides is a bit more than a "tweek." I'm not sure based on the verbiage I saw on the Guitar.com article about this, but the back and sides may not be solid. The top is listed as "solid Sitka spruce" but the back and sides are just listed as "walnut back and sides." I find that if it isn't explicit that woods are solid, we're probably looking at laminate.

All that said, I think this may be a smart move for Gibson. Martin has long offered a much wider range of options in just about every possible pricepoint. Can't afford a $700 guitar? That's ok, they have one for $550! Gibson has sort of languished here, where the best Gibson you can get for $1000 is a used one, if you're lucky. I'm in the market for a J-45 now, so if it turns out the sides are solid and these sound good, I may go for one myself!

Frozen Rat

Gold Supporting Member
This is a smart move at $999 and $1299 (studio vs standard) as they have been missing out on sales at that price point for a very long time. Plenty of people would buy a Gibson acoustic at the right price (for them). I assume that is MAP pricing and these guitars might very well sell even slightly under that price for those that know how to dicker.

The lack of "solid" in front of "walnut back and sides" does suggest it's a laminate too.

cubistguitar

watch the Cosmo Music video report on the G-45 guitars

"all solid woods" is one of the first things Don Ruffato says about the guitars, of course there are limits to the awesomeness, Richlite and satin finishes and such, but really, solid wood guitars built in Bozeman Montana

Don Ruffato says they are all solid wood.

Seems a dream deal, solid wood, made in USA.
Probably a good idea to wait until you can play one. In my experience entry-level Gibson acoustics aren't great and there are many offshore brands that are simply far better instruments for the sort of money Gibson are asking.

cubistguitar

I agree, wait and see is best, but of the US brands, this is a unique approach, non laminate made in USA for low $$$, no need to make opinions yet.

plextasy

Has anyone played one yet? I played a Songwriter and fell in love several years ago but for how seldom I play acoustic I’d jump on the G-45 if it was even close.

walterw

Gold Supporting Member
we got one in and it sounds great, slightly reduced body depth and all.

it's loud when you lay into it, with a bit more brightness than a typical mahogany slope-shoulder.

Reactions: Rod

cvansickle

Silver Supporting Member
I played the G-45 Studio yesterday. The specs say the fretboard and back/sides are walnut on this model. Sounded pretty good, but the vibe was a little off. I couldn't see myself buying one.