The New Hotness of high-gain amps for modern metal??

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
5150's, REVV, Bogner and Diezel seem to be top choices for modern metal as they're tight, aggressive and sit well in a mix. Driftwood, Mezzabarba, RedSeven and several others are lesser known but appear to be growing in popularity.

FWIW, I have a Driftwood Purple Nightmare - it's a crazy good amplifier.

Moony

I think many people are gravitating back to the old classics these days, JCM800 plus sd-1 (or something similar), 5150 plus 808, Soldano SLO etc..

And I honestly don't think Rectifiers are "dated"... it's also a timeless classic you either love or hate. Nothing wrong with that.

jdel77

Without dating myself too much, I grew up with Nu Metal in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Back then, Mesa Rectifiers were the gold standard for metal. But now they sound overdone and dated.

What is the new high-gain hotness for modern metal?

Early Rectos are being actively hunted down and are prized for their sound.
Have a look at how much prices for them have gone up recently.

Moony

giphy.gif

teemuk

...in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Back then, Mesa Rectifiers were the gold standard for metal. But now they sound overdone and dated.
Hah. For BM scene the over-compressed and over-produced "Mesa" - tone was outdated already in the 1990's. :stir

LaXu

I'd say it's 5150 variants and
5150's, REVV, Bogner and Diezel seem to be top choices for modern metal as they're tight, aggressive and sit well in a mix.
I agree with these choices. Throw in Friedman BE for good measure.

Overall the preferred tones have moved from the big wooly Recto sounds of the early 2000s to super tight tones of boosted 5150 style amps.

Buck Woodson

Without dating myself too much, I grew up with Nu Metal in the late 90s and early 2000s.

What is the new high-gain hotness for modern metal?

I really don't get why people say this about Rectifiers. It kept me from trying them for a while to my own detriment. You could just as easily say the same thing about Fender, Vox, Marshall, or hell, the electric guitar itself. What about piano? Surely that's about as dated and overdone as it gets. Why haven't they all been burned for firewood?

I think all the seriously uninspired, crappy music that's come out since grunge (arguably the last great guitar genre) is what's dated and overdone.

Last edited:

LesPaul70

I'm hardly an expert on modern metal - heck, I can't even listen to most of it (because of the pitchless screamed and growled vocals) - but anyway, here's a couple of thoughts on Mesa Dual Rectifiers and metal.

I don't consider most Dual Rectifiers good metal amps. Not as such anyway, not without some help. Sure, they have more than enough massive heavy gain on tap - but the structure of that gain is loose and bassy. It lacks the tightness and biting attack one would want for metal riffing.
To turn a Recto into a metal monster, you need to use an extra box to tighten it up. A TS-9 is the classic solution. Gain at zero. An EQ pedal in front of your Recto works as well. The key is in cutting the low frequencies - otherwise, your Rectifier will turn them into mush and destroy all tightness.

Now you would have noticed I said "most Dual Rectifiers". The very early ones (Revisions C, D and E) are exempt, they don't need an OD. They are killer metal amps straight out of the box, just pure hotrodded Marshall goodness. The Revision C is the most extreme, the brightest and tightest of them all.
Sadly, there were only a couple hundred ever made. Some of them have been destroyed already. And to be frank, they were not even nearly as versatile as the later Recto iterations. Just killer tight gain thrash metal machines out of the box.

shermanator

I'd bet 100 bucks 99% can't tell a Rev C from a G from a multi watt. Internet conjecture is cool though. I thought this thread was about newer metal amps not a peripheral commentary defending rectos.

The prices went up due to the covid thing and sellers asking more just as they have across the board. I couldn't give a Rev g away for $800 in December '19. It's not like anything has changed since then except for the habits of sellers and the fomo thing.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom