The new kitchen appliances thread

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Sneaky, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I'm going to do some kitchen upgrades in our new house so I'm coming to the TGP experts for any words of wisdom. I've had Viking gas ranges and Bosch dishwashers in my last two places and have been reasonably happy with them. Haven't shopped for anything for over ten years now though. For gas ranges, It looks like Viking is now called Brigade. What's up with that? There is a brand called Blue Star that seems to get good reviews. Wolf is out of my price range. Any other good pro-sumer brands out there?

I've always been happy with Bosch dishwashers but they have so many models and prices now I don't know what to think. The main thing I want besides doing a good job cleaning dishes is quiet (44 dB or less).

2. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

Just remodeled!

We just got a new Bosch Dishwasher and I'm amazed at how quiet it is. They are so quiet now that they have a red led that shines on the floor below it so you know it's running. It also does a fine job cleaning. Very happy with it.

We also got a nice GE gas/gas slide in convection oven. So far very pleased with it. It has the long oval burner in the middle and a cast iron grille that sits over it. We've grilled up asparagus, wax peppers, portabellas, and some skirt steak and they have come out fantastic. Very good control on the heat on the regular burners too. Wifey made some banana bread the other day. So far that's all we've done! We're not gourmet chefs by any stretch.

The fridge we got is a Samsung and again, very pleased with the purchase. We love it so much that we have named it, "Freezo The Magnificent". I didn't think a good fridge would make that much of a difference. But I am telling you, lettuce that used to last but a few days in the old fridge now lasts well over a week. Milk that used to spoil if you looked at it the wrong way now stays good well past the expiration date.

Here's a pic of the oven and part of Freezo:

Sneaky likes this.
  3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

5. Boobala

Boobala Member

Not exactly an appliance, but I have a co-worker who had to buy a new water heater today. They had one model in the store that had WiFi. No,really... WiFi.

6. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

For some reason, there's a myth that some brands are good while others aren't.

Advanced research will clearly show you that it's on a model-by-model basis. EVERY manufacturer makes diamonds and turds.

Read the consumer reviews. Doing this has not yet failed me with any purchase, appliances included.

7. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

It's the internet of everything... I'm on the waiting list for my brain implant. Sick of looking for my remotes.

8. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Consumer reviews are sometimes like:

Worst dishwasher ever. We have kids and the top rack gets full of sippy cups before the bottom is fully loaded with plates. One star. Would not buy again.

9. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

Wife and I would like to buy some new kitchen appliances but it's so tough for me to let go of our vintage stuff.

The creamy sound of our fridge whirring away mixed with the haunting mids of our dishwasher and the punchy lows of the laundry machine is just to die for. I mean it's tone for days man. Some of these newer appliances try to emulate the warmth of these older units but I can hear the difference. The new stuff is just so tinny and thin. Stainless also doesn't have the same sustain that the old avocado finish does.

Stick with your old stuff man. Nothing good has been made since the late 60s or early 70s.

10. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

With respect, that's a bit of a narrow view.

Websites like Amazon feature a Helpful rating to alleviate this issue. Moreover, they are by default organized with the most helpful ones being at the top so the unhelpful ones get buried deep.

Please keep in mind that I've done extensive research on my appliances a few years ago and the kind of content you're alluding to was rarely encountered.

Feel free to do as you wish. I relayed my experience in going through the best way possible (IMHO) to shop for expensive equipment I was going to be stuck with for many years to come and that I have yet to run into an issue by following this methodology.

Frankly, it's not for everyone. My friends, for instance, are far too lazy to invest hours in researching in an in-depth manner pretty much anything. They go with a brand name and cross their fingers. Their average is unsurprisingly not as good as mine. But you might get lucky.

Sneaky likes this.
  11. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I get it. I've spent more time researching dishwashers in the last few days than I care to admit. Believe me, TGP is not the first place I came. :D

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

If your doing washers/dryers as well, go with Whirlpool. Definitely a superior product. We had terrible luck with other brands there, especially Samsung.

13. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Whirring fridges make my tinnitus go away.

What about harvest gold?

14. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

No thanks. I don't wash my jeans. :D