the new mac laptop?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by joolzriff, Dec 3, 2005.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i went into a mac shop today and he told me they have disscontinued the power books and a new one will be coming out.
    anyone hear of this new mac laptop?

2. onemind

onemind Member

Seems a bit early, but the buzz has been that the Keynote address by Steve Jobs on January tenth will introduce intel based powerbooks, usually a line that's being changed will be discontinued, but not this far in advance

(s)

3. Seditious

Seditious Member

I was told by my buddy this new Mac will be able to boot Windows or the Mac OS (is it Panther now?). He's calling it the MacIntel.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

...which is the optimal time to pick up at a great price what had been top of the line only a few months back.

Me, I could care less if the new Mac can boot Windows. I'll never use Windows again.

5. elambo

elambo Member

So he steered you away from buying? I'm guessing that he's not their top sales producer.

I've been hearing this rumor for awhile, but even the rumor mills that typically pump out the early truths aren't sure of this one. Not that it's not going to happen, but it sounds like the salesperson is simply repeating the rumors of everyone else.

It would be an odd marketing play for Apple to make a computer that boots Windows.

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i dunno, i have my doubts. apple just revamped their line not too long ago. no increase in clock speed but i higher rez display. seems unlikely they would go to all the trouble of doing that if they had something in the pipeline that was right around the corner. the apple website also shows all the AlBooks shipping 1-2 days.
    so.....
    looks like a bunch of BS to me.

7. e-z

e-z Member

I'm not sure if it will boot Windows but that's not the reason they are calling MacIntel. That name comes from Apple switching from IBM Power PC CPUs to Intel CPUs.

If you want to get your Mac geek on, check out www.macrumors.com

8. Phillip_H

Phillip_H Supporting Member

I think that the new Intel processors will be in iBooks and iMacs before they go into the powerbook. I wouldn't touch the Intel stuff until it has been around for several months. I also wouldn't give much thought to the Windows-booting Mac. Maybe if someone hacked an intel-based Mac, but I can't imagine Apple selling a Mac that would boot into windows.

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i actually recall someone at the launch saying that it WOULD boot windows. i don't think it was jobs, tho'.
    i DO NOT think that apple will ever be sullied by having a non-apple machine running OSX, tho'.

10. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Apple traditionally rolls out changes in their desktop/tower machines before they make their way to the laptops. Doesn't mean they always will, but it makes a rumour like this easier to ignore.

--chiba

11. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Umm...it's 10 days before Christmas and there are no Apple laptops in stock or production? Highly doubtful. You need to shop at a better store (no offense intended).

12. msymank

msymank Member

funnny I am running mac 10.4.3 on my intel pc right now.
    I downloaded it and it is beautiful.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Can you please share the details of how you got it to run, and where I can find any additional info?

It would be much appreciated!

B

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i would imagine that he's either a developer that has a copy of OSX for the new apple intel machines and has hacked it to run on a PC. if so he's in breach os his NDA.
    or....
    some developer has leaked OSX for intel (hacked or no) onto a P2P network.
    just hazarding a guess.
    if i'm correct, i'm wondering how long it'ss be before the mods here either lock the thread or remove his posts or otherwise deal w/ it in a efficacious manner.
    see the FAQ page and code of conduct pertaining to unauthorized copyrighted material.

15. msymank

msymank Member

yep it was a developers copy that was leaked onto a torrent site.
    search for osx86 on wikipedia and you'll find an entire community there.

Its neat and all to be running a dual boot system. But lets face it. I have no way to upgrade, therefore, I am running a system facing potential trouble. Besides, I thought one of the best parts of apple was their customer service, I don't have any access to it.

As far as doing something illegal, that might be true. I also think the community of people working with this have found more bugs than the developers could have in months. Be that as it may, this quick introduction to the OS had me buying a real mac in no time. It runs protools so well.

ANyway, the info is out there, and the downloads are plentiful. Just point your browser in the right direction. But you still be getting a developers edition, won't be able to use a network card without hacking like crazy, wont have this or that.

16. Orren

Orren Member

Apple has stated that when it moves to Intel CPUs, it will start with the consumer series (iMac, iBook, Mini) in 2006, then finish with the professional series (PowerMac, XServe, PowerBook) in mid-2007.

This means that if there were to be new Intel-based PowerBooks, they wouldn't be coming out soon. Maybe in a year from now.

However, there might be new Mac Minis, iMacs, or iBooks coming.

Orren

17. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

The buzz is that it will be iBooks with the Yonah processor in January. Possibly a new Mac Mini with the same dual core.

I do look forward to a new powerbook with more (power).

My 1.5ghz 12" is awesome. But ideally I'd like to have more pixel density. The rumored 13" widescreen on the iBook sounds about right. And more processor, so I can do more with PTLE live.

I am getting into the habit of using my powerbook live instead of a mixer + rack. Set it at 64 samples, and it works well. A nice dual core Yonah would yield a lot higher track/plugin count.

Also, Apple said they wouldn't do anything to inhibit Windows from running on their machines. You can already install XP on the developer x86 PowerMacs.