the NEW macbook pro and microsoft surface products...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kluch, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Kluch

Kluch Member

I think this video pretty well sums up my feelings about the new macbook pro lol. I have for a long time been an avid apple products user (heck I have the iphone 7 currently). But the direction apple is taking is just not looking appealing. They've made it pretty clear they don't want to do the touch screen thing, which I get, it would cannibalize ipad sales. But also the loss of all the ports (-you need a dongle) is just disappointing. My next machine may very well be the next surface pro/book. Would be interested in hearing your guys thoughts...?

Che_Guitarra and MrAstro like this.
  2. Fred Farkus

Fred Farkus Gold Supporting Member

Heh-heh! :D

Yeah, I'm afraid Apple is starting to fall into another period of mediocrity like they did when Jobs left the first time.

I just got a new iphone because of apps and I wanted it to stay super-integrated with my mbp. I still love the overall quality of their hardware. But there's no denying that Msoft is pushing the envelope with innovation, farther than Apple. And now they are pushing well into the artistic market segment that Apple has taken for granted for so long.

I mainly use my laptop for audio recording. But my DAW is Reaper and that sucker will run on anything. It's getting hard to keep justifying Apple. I will be re-evaluating when it's time to replace the laptop (which will hopefully still be several years from now).

Kluch likes this.
  3. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm getting the last version of the mac pro that can be upgraded. I'm going to fill it up with ram and put in a really fast ssd drive.

I have had fantastic success with my apple computers through the years but I don't like the direction they are heading right now. Let people customize their machine a bit if they want to. Ugh.

I'm still a fan of the Iphone and will be upgrading in the next few months... unless I decide to see what the 8 is going to be like first. My 5c is still running fine, though I'm longing for a bigger screen.

enharmonic likes this.
  4. Fred Farkus

Yeah, unfortunately their software has been going this way for a long time. More idiot-proof and less features/flexibility seems to be the aesthetic. First thing I do with a new Apple device is find all the hidden stuff (cloud, etc) they turn on to "help you" and turn it off. I just wonder if Msoft has gotten this bad as well. At some point I'll investigate, I'm sure.

ford likes this.
  5. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I need to look into this on my Mac Mini... it is starting to run slower and I don't have much open... I'm going to buy and add some more ram as it is possible on my current model.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  6. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

My old mid-2011 Macbook Pro 15" is really starting to slow down, and I was looking into upgrading, but the new Macbook Pro is just a no-go for me. Sure, it's sleek and light and a beautiful looking product, but the lack of upgradability is just too much now... and the dongles, that just seems nuts to me.

I work on a 27" iMac at work from 2012, and they just maxed out the ram and replaced the harddrive that was failing with a nice SSD, it was like getting a brand new computer. So I went and priced out what it would cost to upgrade my old Macbook Pro - around $200 would get me a blazing fast 512gb SSD and would max out my ram.

We came really close to buying a Microsoft Surface Book on Black Friday, but decided we needed to wait. I have been a pretty hardcore apple guy for about a decade now, but I have to admit I'm tempted more and more by Microsofts Surface product line.

enharmonic and soulohio like this.
  7. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

I have a 2010 and 2011 MBP and I've always really liked the Mac hardware.

I was disappointed by the loss of a matte screen option so I held off upgrading. I've kind of reconciled that the matte screen option isn't coming back so I've been considering an upgrade.

The lack of USB ports is the most consumer unfriendly thing I've seen in a long time. The whole "dongle ecosystem" really just doesn't work for me. I also wish they had kept the MagSafe power connection. I always felt that was a nice feature.

The new ones look fantastic but they streamlined away basic connectivity that I require. I'll skip this generation.

enharmonic likes this.
  8. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I've seen this a couple times. Why are people assuming there won't be a 7s?

9. rbrogan

rbrogan Supporting Member

I'm completely baffled why they got rid of the magsafe connector, that was a brilliant innovation. I've gotten so used to no worrying about yanking the power out I would probably break a new MBP in the first week. It's a beautiful piece of hardware that seems to completely ignore how 90% of it's target customers work, all for the sake of aesthetics, thinness, and weight.

enharmonic, MisterBuddy, ford and 2 others like this.
  10. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Sigh. I agree with pretty much everything everyone said above. I too have liked Apple's hardware and software. I'm currently using a 2009 MBP, and while it's running pretty well for a 7 year old machine, I'm thinking I need an upgrade. Like most everyone else, I hate the new laptops, so I'm trying to find a 2015 MBP with max RAM, and hope that it lasts 5+ years, by which time Apple will have gotten their **** together.

I totally agree that Microsoft has been doing more innovative hardware recently, I just hate that OS (I would consider going Linux, but some software I'm interested in using only runs on OSX/Windows).

(yes, third world problems)

Washburnmemphis, Kluch and soulohio like this.
  11. Fred Farkus

I had no idea they got rid of the usb ports and the magsafe connector. That magsafe connector was one of the smartest things they did. I love that on my mbp. This sounds like complete lunacy to me.

dean owens and soulohio like this.
  12. soulohio

soulohio Member

i do not want a touch screen on my laptop
    it gets cruddy
    and it takes your fingers off the kyboard. That touchscreen is what the iOS tablet is for.
    I do agree... the Surface is where it is at from a hardware standpoint... it only took them like 4 iterations
    but MS$ got it right finally
    unfortunately, it runs the craptacular MS$ OS
    only advantage there for me is gaming
    i'll take Apple OS and hardware everyday
    and twice on Sunday

dennyman and 65DuoSonic like this.
  13. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

i'm in the same boat. have an 09 MBP and am currently looking to upgrade. The new macbook pros are way overpriced imo. reviews are mixed. Apple needs to get kicked in the seeds.

I think next might be a good year for the Macbook pro due to its anniversary. i don't think i can wait that long. ahhhhhh

enharmonic likes this.
  14. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

It's such a seemingly bad idea that I wonder if it's not a lawyery thing, maybe someone obscure has a patent for that type of thing.

15. soulohio

soulohio Member

max that RAM and get a 1TB SSD on <2012 laptops
    that will work until Apple gets their hardware pricing sorted

enharmonic likes this.
  16. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I don't know anyone who's excited about running 5 year old computers.

17. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

10th anniversary I think

travisvwright likes this.
  18. pickdropper

The larger pros come with four Thunderbolt connectors. You can use these to charge, output video, connect USB devices, etc.

But it requires dongles.

19. pickdropper

Yep, that's the rumor. Supposedly, it's also why the 7 isn't a tear down redesign like they normally do after a tick-tock cycle.

Early prognostication has the home button going away as well. Take with a grain of salt as with all Apple rumors. So much of it is written some of it has to come true, right?

ford likes this.
  20. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I've been very close to considering the same thing. It's a hard decision because I don't want to lose Logic Pro and go back to recording in Windows.

enharmonic and ford like this.