The New Prairie Home Companion

Mighty Melvin

I'm spending a partytime Saturday night cleaning the venetian blinds in the bedroom, and Prairie Home Companion is on the radio.

I haven't paid much attention to PHC for a while. But now that that Keillor has retired, the new guy is bringing in some new music. It's the same acoustic poop as it always was but some of it is very new and adventurous and brilliant.

I would have to say that it might be time to listen to the show for a while. There might be some new stuff going on that's worth listening to.

GerryJ

Hopefully he doesn't insist on singing, like the other guy did? Or if he does, can he actually sing (the other guy couldn't ).

TCMx3

Hopefully he doesn't insist on singing, like the other guy did? Or if he does, can he actually sing (the other guy couldn't ).

As a lifelong PHC fan, I have to say Keillor's singing was always one of my personal favorite parts of the show.

Like Dylan, he does not sing "well", but his audience interaction captured a lot of the magic that guys like Seeger always seemed to have. Prairie Home... is not a music variety show, it's a live radio show. Keillor as a storyteller was phenomenal and had more talent than all of the jockeys on Clear Channel combined. It was the same setup as Cartalk; I don't think people ever tuned into that one for real car advice.

Anyway, Chris Thile is an excellent choice to helm the show. He is THE bluegrass musician of this generation and has a deep seated understanding the type of music that PHC is culturally built from.

I have been listening to PHC for years. It is a throw back to the old days of Saturday night radio.....very talented players, great story telling, and some of the funniest actors!! Maybe it is my midwestern roots, but the show is very entertaining.

Now you city types can get back to your Rob loves Chyna or the Kardashians...that must be better entertainment!!

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I was happy to see my old buddy Jeff White on PHC recently. One of the finest flat-pickers out there.

loudboy

I'm spending a partytime Saturday night cleaning the venetian blinds in the bedroom, and Prairie Home Companion is on the radio.

I haven't paid much attention to PHC for a while. But now that that Keillor has retired, the new guy is bringing in some new music. It's the same acoustic poop as it always was but some of it is very new and adventurous and brilliant.

I would have to say that it might be time to listen to the show for a while. There might be some new stuff going on that's worth listening to.

Using Chris Thile and musical poop in the same post is just wrong...

iaresee

Silver Supporting Member
Chris Thile is doing a bang-up job on PHC so far. I was already a huge fan though. He can definitely sing:

And play:

(Stay for the solo in that last one)

And just because you can never have enough Punch Brothers in your life:

Reddog

I already miss Garrison. To me, he and the rest of PHC were a Saturday evening institution. I was never wild about his singing but I accepted it as part of the character of the show. I already had mad respect for Chris Thile because of his music, but it's going to take some time for me to get accustomed to his taking over the helm. Just not the same. I suspect the show will morph into another potentially delightful, but totally different experience.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
I like it just fine with Chris. Freshened it up and gave it some much needed youthfulness.

TCMx3

I have been listening to PHC for years. It is a throw back to the old days of Saturday night radio.....very talented players, great story telling, and some of the funniest actors!! Maybe it is my midwestern roots, but the show is very entertaining.

Now you city types can get back to your Rob loves Chyna or the Kardashians...that must be better entertainment!!

I suspect PHC's audience is overwhelmingly urban and suburban.

Having driven all over the Southeast, my experience is that all you can get on the radio in rural areas are bro country and religious rock. Maybe it's different out in the MW, but at least where I'm from it's decent sized universities broadcasting PHC and they are, for obvious reasons, mostly in cities.

interesting.....I live in Southern Mississippi now and NPR still runs the show.

BTW, you are exactly right about bro country and religious rock!! Thank goodness for the internet and satellite radio!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom