The new Snider California is outta the park!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KarlH, Sep 17, 2004.

1. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Ive checked out the new Snider California amp, and the minute I played one, I HAD to have one. I own a Snider Chicago and a Park 45, but the new California is uncomparable. He added a preamp tube to the design of the new California and Chicago, which means that the reverb now has a tube all to its own (it still has the automatic ducking or pre delay feature when the gain is up). Also, instead to becoming darker when you turn your vol knob down on the guitar, the amp cleans up into this gorgeous, chimey fat, "Don't Let me be Misuderstood" Robben Ford clean tone that is super responsive. The Cali is now twice as dynamic and touch sensitive as before, and everything I already loved about the sniders in general has been enhanced 10 times over. I think he should relabel the gain knob and the master volume knob as "pre" and "post" gain, because the interplay between those two knobs opens up many doors of incredible tone.

It takes alot for me do plunk down the $$ for a new, high end amp, (i have usually spent my money on vintage marshall, vox, or fender amps), but this amp really made an impression on me like no other. I've even had to pass up a great deal on a Pro Analog Scary Face becuase I spent almost all of my disposable income (and then some) on this amp. But it will be worth it.

When my amp is completed, I'll be sure to post a report, and possibly some clips, If I can find a site to host them for you all.

Karl

2. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Well I'm going to chime in here on the California model.. I picked up a used Cali a couple months ago and haven't stopped using it... The most fun strat amp i've ever heard, let alone played .. the "ducking"trem & verb are tops! very dialed...
    pedals are not necessary but are a welcome addition if you preffer.takes ODs and Fuzzers quite well along with my mega vibe.
    this amp is EQ'd for a strat it seems.I don't know how it would go with other type guitars. Don't care.
    I never thought I would like any 1X12 combo as they all seemed small and focused sounding bit this little1X12 is very broad sounding and punchy.. The low & high power switch along with the Master volume make this amp quite tailorable to volume issues.. Cali is loaded with enough gain to get pretty mean but roll off on the guit vol and you get very full and lush "alive"cleans... You can coax more headroom out of it by varying pick attack. It's a sensetive amp with a learning curve to it .
    I did change out the 25M clone for a Heritage 30H to get a bit more air moving and I'm real happy with the results . Bring on your SVT !
    I love this thing!!.... After the first hour or so I played. I nicknamed it "Game Over"

I've e mailed Jeff Snider a couple of times and he's quite helpful and concerned about his amps even though I bought mine(two Sniders now!) used....
    I don't know how to post pics but it's pretty damned cool looking as well...... Happy dude here!........

3. 58gasman

58gasman Member

I tried a California last year at the Marin County guitar show. I was very impressed. Very big sounding, Nice touch sensitivity, great clean sounds and an outstanding master volume control which is switchable out of the circuit.

I'm suprised these amps don't get more attention on this board.

Craig

4. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

These amps are some of the few out there giving me gas pains right now.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Whew. 3k for a 20 watter tho.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I've played it a few times now, really special amp.

Josh

7. KLB

KLB Member

What are the differences?

8. Chuck Snider

There's pretty good info here www.snideramps.com on the differences between the amp models....

9. jujudubluz

jujudubluz Member

i own a chicago and just recorded a demo with mainly that amp alone... it's really a killer amp, you really can gig it without pedals using only the volume knob on your guitar... this amp really has it's own thing the way it behaves like a really loud pushed hard amp...

last but not least, jeff is a truly nice pal to deal with, he guided me to choose between his 2 models and always answer my silly questions.

juju.

10. Sport Thompson

Sport Thompson Member

Outta the park is right! I've been in the market for a new amp. So I'm looking at Badcat....Top Hat...Dr Z......boutiqie whatever.....yadda yadda......... Then at the airport, returning from my honeymoon in Belize I see a display with a SNIDER amp! "Oh yeah, Jeff's makin' amps now", I say to myself. So I start doin a little research..............."OH MY FREAKIN GAWD!" The tone of these things actually makes me salivate! Juicy! Percussive,unforgiving, bouncy, sparkley........RESPONSIVE! So I had to buy one! A "California"! With a strat, this is a near religious experience. This is an amp you simply don't want to stop playing. I have been playing guitar for 30 years or so, and have been a guitar tech for many major recording artists, and this could very well be the single most wonderful amp I've ever played through. EVER! Man oh man, he really hit the nail on the head.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey Chuck, my last name is Snider as well. :)

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So how does the Cali compare to the New Jersey? Out of all the clips that I heard on the Hi-Test site, the NJ was the one that sounded the most open and sensitive.

M.E.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

These amps sound pretty cool. I've read the site, would love to hear from any players that have played more than one and could compare the tonal differences.

14. matte

matte Senior Member

i don't subscribe to the $ to watt ratio.

15. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Jeff seems to like his Tokai guitars - strat, LP and 335.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You really can't subscribe to it, as I found out as well. It's all about the tone, as far as I'm concerned.

17. Chuck Snider

Hey Chris... My grampa Snider came from Oregon Missouri...

Sport Thompsons description of the Cali is very well the same experience as mine.
    Every time I plug in I just dig it.. Alls I play are strats and this amp just feels like it was built to be manipulated by a strats controlls.
    I don't think it would be for everyone though. What is?
    I was a devout Head +Closed back-Cab guy and I would never have believed a 1X12 combo could sound this broad and real if you told me.. I had to hear for myself.. there's nothing "plain" about it. It's alive!!!!!!

Disclaimer.. Your milage may vary.......

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

The website seems to say the Chicago is for humbuckers/les pauls and the California is for strats.

19. vivalamigra

vivalamigra Member

A guy I play with once in a while has a Traynor that Snider modded for him years ago. That amp really does go from clean to gain with the twist of guitar volume knob like no other amp I've heard. And a really cool flavor of gain to boot. I would assume that the Chicago and the California are awesome amps. 3K is not in my budget right now, so I'm going to try and not come in contact with one of those things. I'd hate to have that seed planted in my head!

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

Chicago owners, how accurate are those sound clips? The amp sounds a bit bright for my taste. Does the amp do thick and creamy tones?