the new texting and driving psa with girls getting hit by tractor trailer

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by saxophonist56, Apr 13, 2016.

1. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Member

wow. it's brutal! i might not even text and drive anymore!

firebird1999us and 27sauce like this.
  2. ibis

ibis Member

Got a link for foreigners?

3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

It really brings the message home. What a waste.

4. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

Haven't seen the PSA in question, but five local teenage girls were killed 2-3 years ago in the same manner. Two carloads of girls, about to graduate HS, off for a weekend at a cottage. The driver of the lead vehicle is texting the girls in the other car, veers off the road, overcorrects and goes head on with a tractor trailer. All five girls were killed instantly, plus their friends had to witness it.

5. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Can someone post it?

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

sounds hilarious...link?

TwoTubMan, Heinz57Pep and 27sauce like this.
  7. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

IMO they should show the grossest, most puke-inducing accident photos in every high school drivers ed class. Severed limbs, brains splattered across three lanes, a lonely spleen separated from the body cavity it used to lovingly call home... and instead of lurking behind bushes clocking speeds or sitting two-up in a parking lot shooting the sh1t, the cops should be actively seeking out the texters. (And the red-light-runners, which are an epidemic around here.)

Get a ticket for texting? Lose your license for six months plus fines plus mandatory education classes (with the above-mentioned photos / videos / etc.). Second ticket? Five years plus HEFTY fines plus more classes. Third ticket? Permanent revocation.

8. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

9. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

Amen!

About a month ago I saw a guy blatantly texting/driving. He was going slow, weaving in the lane, then speeding up. Classic text-driving. I see a cop another lane over and think "Aha! This guy is going to get a ticket!" But the cop didn't seem to notice or care. As I pulled along side the cop car, I look over and guess what? The cop was texting while driving.

:facepalm

10. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Even more ironic is if you'd take a picture of the texting cop, he wouldn't be disciplined and you'd likely be ticketed for using your phone while driving. LOL!

bloomz, DakotaRed, Turi and 4 others like this.
  11. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

I see cops texting all the time... also big rig drivers, school bus drivers, delivery truck drivers, teenagers driving SUVs and BMWs (both of which should be illegal IMO, but that's a different topic). And all the same people running the red lights, too, often right in front of the cops. I just don't get it... at what point did red lights become optional, and at what point did the cops just stop caring?

Man with Gas likes this.
  12. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    It's becoming a huge problem. As I've mentioned in other threads on the topic, I spend a lot of my day driving between locations for my job, and in a truck that sits up high, so I see it, and its rampant. The texters far and above outnumber anyone driving drunk, they're all over the place. It's almost like being surrounded by drunk drivers in a way. I have people drift into my lane, cross the center line, run stop lights, not yield, and most of them never even so much as look up if I honk the horn at them. Their heads are so far up their own ###es with that phone in their hands, it's incredible. I don't think any amount of PSA ads or education is going to do much. People have that "Won't happen to me, I'm better than that" attitude that is just as rampant as the problem itself.

If I get a ticket for something like a DUI/DWI or texting while driving, even on my own time in my own car, I would most likely loose my job or be demoted.

13. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Yep, I see cops either texting or messing around with their in-car laptops all the time. A coworker of mine confronted a cop he knew about it. The response was, "We're trained, we're just better drivers and it's part of our job have to multi-task while we drive." Bunch of BS. No one is better at taking their eyes and attention off the road than anyone else, once you do that it's a completely level field, you're all the same, and you're rolling the same set of dice. As far as the when did they stop caring part? The ones around here have always been very selective about what they care about.

14. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

I don't think it's almost like it, IMO it's exactly like it... or even worse.

Total and utter BS. Why do so many cops think they're better than everyone else and/or the rules don't apply to them?

Typically the stuff that brings in the most revenue for the least amount of effort. It's such a complete conflict of interest...

15. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I'd like to see a new law where you immediately get life in prison for texting and driving... maybe that would make people stop and think before they kill someone else :red

Put them to work too, building new prisons because we'll need a lot of them.

Man with Gas and Judge Smails like this.
  16. muzishun

muzishun Member

QFT

Turi likes this.
  17. AdrenalinJunkie

AdrenalinJunkie Silver Supporting Member

Last night about 7:30pm i'm driving home. I get the green arrow to make a left hand turn, but it looks like the car coming toward the light isn't going to stop, but I still had time to go before he got there, so I did. The car behind me saw the car coming and waitedas not one, but two cars run the light and pass between us. we're not talking about running a yellow, it had been red over 10 seconds. People aren't paying attention on the roads.

Turi likes this.
  18. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

They certainly did when I was a kid. Decapitations, etc.

Research shows it doesn't work. Teenagers have what is called Personal Fable going on. They believe nothing bad will happen to them, that's for the other guys.

Jamalot and Turi like this.
  19. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Confusing thread...psa = Public Service Announcement?

Also...where's the ad op?