The "new" Van Halen/DLR songs off Greatest Hits Vol I

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 67blackcherry, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

Everytime I hear those two tunes "Me Wise Magic" and "Supermodel" I often wonder HOW many other great tunes would've come to fruition if those two knuckleheads could've worked out their differences back then and if Edward hadn't been drinking so much.

I really hope and pray they get their act together and start writing again and....lose Wolfie, for pete's sake. Michael Anthony WAS/IS their backing vocalist. Build a bridge and get over it.

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

It was Me Wise Magic and "you cant get this stuff no more"....

What great songs....

3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I agree. I though "Me Wise Magic" was especially killer. I wish they would just work it out with Michael and tour with the original lineup. I never got to see them in their heyday. :cry:

4. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

Yeah, MWM was great. No one but Roth could come up with a song title like that! I only heard the other one a couple times on the radio. It was a bit mellower, no?

I saw them one tour too late, on the Diver Down tour in '82. But it was my first concert, so that was cool.

5. cber1517

cber1517 Member

"Me Wise Magic" is IMHO one of their best songs. The riffs, the intricate rhythm work from Eddie, Mike and Alex is incredible on that song. Some of Ed's best songwriting there - complex yet catchy. Nothing since then has come close.
    :dude:dude:dude

6. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Might of been part of the EVH hate fest after the failed reunion but I recall Eddie said, in one of the guitar world interviews around the time, Dave allegedly could not sing like that anymore and it was studio magic. Whatever...just put out some new music already.

7. sahhas

sahhas Member

agree. love those 2 songs. wish they would get together and release some new material.
    in the VH book from a few yrs ago, one of the "new songs" from greatest hits I, was a song that sammy had rejected from the balance sessions..
    but yes,i wish they would get together and record. they're not getting any younger...
    s---
    www.myspace.com/scotthansen

8. Baloney

Baloney Senior Member

Van Halens best was VH1. MWM was ok.

Eds said in a recent GW interview that he had no reason to put out new music. He claimed there were no labels to put it out and he also said it wouldbe a waste because people would just steal it by downloading it illegally. I doubt we will ever see another VH cd. Well not as long as people are paying $150+ for concert tix and 3k for a MIM amp etc.

9. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Didn't one of those songs have that annoying Cher style Auto-Tune effect on it during the line, "I am you and you are me."

10. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Dave's voice definitely could have been better on MWM. He kind of cops out about it in his book, he says something like "it was hard doing it cold because the band didn't want to rehearse, and I could have put together a rehearsal band of top guys and been practicing every day but then the papers would have spread rumors about my new band so I didn't want to do that", or something to that effect.

his voice is definitely much improved lately compared to how it sounded in the late 90s and early 00s.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Then I listen to 5150, OU812, FU/K , and Unblanced and realize how much Great music he did give us. Edward was fine back in 85 when DLR got a shoe up his ass . Drinking got a bit out of hand when he marrigae fell apart. This wasn't some 3 yr Rock Star wedding. They were married 2 Decades. **** happens. Eddie doesn't owe anybody anything. Hope he is Happy. I know Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar are.

12. MuseCafeChris

Freudian slip?

After which he released Eat 'Em and Smile, which put far more shoes up more asses than 5150 did. IMO of course.

13. V-Type

V-Type Member

Its nice too see Im not alone in liking those 2 Roth/VH songs a lot.
    A lot of folks dont even know they exist.
    If they had come out with an album of material like that at the time it would have been huge imo and could have bested Metallica's Load and Reloaded come back albums.
    But EVH and his control freak issues are really too blame.
    I still laugh when reading that Ed wanted Patty Smyth of Scandal too replace Roth and forgo giving Sammy a shot.
    Now that would have been weird imo.

14. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

Those two songs are killer, It's a shame we didn't get more. As to Roth's voice, it still holds up. I saw him on tour with Hagar and he belted over an hour of tunes, back to back with zero BS between songs, it was like he needed to show Hagar he had rthe better catalog, so he played ALL of it.

Saw him again in 2007(?) with VH, sounded good as well. He's never been anything like a great singer but he delivered live.

15. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

This thread describes a band that appears to be in it for all the wrong reasons. Eddie doesn't want to put out new music because it would be a waste if he couldn't collect royalties?? Dave would have put together a rehearsal band??

Arent' these guys loaded (with money, I mean). Isn't there an inkling of something deep inside of them that simply likes to write, record, and play great music? If not, they should just hang it up. I have very fond memories of being a 12 years old when VH I came out and thank them for that. Perhaps they should just leave well enough alone.

16. Snowdog74

Snowdog74 Member

MWM was pretty good I thought , but I think regarding EVH's remarks about putting out new material : the bottom line is most of these bands that have been going at for 25 or 30 years are just plain out of good ideas, and not just VH but most any band.

If they did happen to come up with a good album it would no doubt sell.

17. cram

cram Member

1 - I could care less about whether VH ever released new material. Ed was my main inspiration for playing rock music. I just don't care about old bands trotting out there year after year. I would listen to anything ed put out or I'd even listen to material vh put out with dlr, but I'm not hoping for it. They were my favorite band growing up and I love *that*. I wouldn't love them so much for trying to do the same thing again. Life moves on as it does and I'm always interested in seeing people play new stuff.

One of my favorite Angus Young quotes was on a call in show where a caller said something to the effect of - you guys have put out 12 albums of the same song and there's nothing new.
    Angus quickly replied, I beg to differ: I think we've put out 13 albums of the same old ****.

Classic, true & honest.

18. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Totally agree.. 5150 was good, but Eat Em' was great and an even better live.

What's up Chris? Merry Christmas.

Jeff

19. MuseCafeChris

Not much. Back in the mix!

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

I agree... how people can even try to compare or worse yet try and state the Sammy VH was as good or better than the original with DLR is a travesty in my mind. Eat Em and Smile had the same swagger and energy that a lot of old VH had, albeit more refined with Vai at the helm. YMMV

:tapedshut

Ever hear the Spanish version of Eat Em and Smile? Sonrisa Salvaje
    Sounds awesome!!! Wish I knew Spanish :)