The New VOX Hand-Wired AC4HW1 and AC4C1-BL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gretsch&Vox, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

Would love to hear someone share the cleans from the handwired. I heard some squawky rock tones from the namm show, but no one thinks that we might want some clean tube tones.

3. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

+9
    Yeah. The demos always seems to follow that pattern. :(

4. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

The hand-wired version is right up my alley. I've been looking for something low watt and higher quality at this price range. I'd love a Morgan 10PM with power scaling but I don't spend that much on gear anymore. Can't wait to try one.

5. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

6. teleking36

teleking36 Member

SUPER interested in this. Can't wait to see what the price is. I'm scaling back on a few things and this would make a great complement to my Princeton Reverb. I can picture my stereo rig now...:idea

7. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

8. twohailmarys

twohailmarys Member

In the demo of the blue one they said it is going to be $299.

9. ken374

ken374 Member

Blue is like a c1 i believe

10. Sikor

Sikor Member

AC4HW1 is pure WIN! :drool :love:

11. thesooze

thesooze Member

Wish it was normal channel, not top boost :(

12. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

They just look sooooo darn cool.

13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Other than the price, I agree. I wish the blue AC4C1 was offered in black as well. I am wondering too if the circuit on the blue AC4C1 is closer to the AC4HW1 or the AC4TV.

14. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

In class A single ended operation with 250 volts on the plate a typical power dispersion is 5.7 watts. Play around with the cathode and plate resistors and you can get less than that.

15. irate_pirate

irate_pirate Member

IMO the blue version looks better than anything Vox has put out in the last 5 years (and I generally love their designs - apart from the night trains). Just classy as hell. I will own one of the little suckers as soon as it's available to me.

I think the circuit is more or less identical to the HW1. The ac4tv on the other hand did not have a low power ac30 top boost circuit. This is one of the reasons I sold mine. Too little versatility. The attenuation wasn't as useful to me as a master volume would have been. The "tone" knob's function on the ac4tv was VERY subtle. I greatly favor the ac4c1-bls controls which act as any ac15 or ac30 top boost controls do.

The only thing wrong with the ac4hw and ac4c1-bl is the absence of a cut knob. But I'm still gonna buy the blue one.

16. Sikor

Sikor Member

Hm, 850EUR for handwired (on turrent board) 1x12 combo with a good speaker is too much? :huh:
    How much cost comparable combo from a butique world?

For example Tiny Terror HWE cost 650EUR, but it's only a head and has less features.

I think the price for AC4HW1 is really ok. Not cheap, but not expensive eather.

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

For me, yes I think the AC4HW1 is high. I am comparing it to the Blackface Champ I used to have which was worth about $400USD. Comparing it to a Marshall Class 5 it is double the price. Comparing it to an Egnator tweaker 15 it is considerably more as well. The Vox AC4HW1 is not boutique and I am sure compared to boutique amps its a good deal, but I am not comparing it those amps. I have never been a boutique amp guy. For me this amp is really going up against the marshall class 5, since I have considering buying one of those for a while now.

I love the features of the AC4HW1, but at its price, I will have to wait for one used or go with the blue AC4C1, even though for me I don't like the looks of it that much.

I do wish both these new AC4s had a switchable master volume and a cut knob. :)

18. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Yeah it's handwired, but handwired at the expensive of cheap labor in China so.. I don't see why it should be $800.

19. mAx___

mAx___ Member

The hand-wired amps of this line have been manufactured in Vietnam so far. Still, cheap labour for sure but the construction quality is on a different level than Chinese stuff. I'd be OK if this amp was $599 instead.

(I'd wish affordable "Made in England" goods made a comeback some day in this modern world of ours. With so many people with no jobs all over Europe the only reason companies are outsourcing is politics, which as usual favour "some" and **** the rest of us over...)

20. lauwing

lauwing Member

I think the AC15HW1 is just a little more expensive