The Newest Waza Delay Thread...

smitty.west

I'm on vacation and found one locally but didn't pull the trigger yet. Worth it or should I back off? Reactions seem mixed.

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Got mine today, meant to spend an hour with it, and that turned into 3 hours. About 2 hours in, I went to my computer to see if I could buy another, and they were sold out from both of my favorite online discounters. I love it.

I don't have an original, nor have I ever played one. My only analog delay experience is, I own 2 Moog 104's (a regular, and an SD). Obviously, the DM-2W is not a Moog, nor was I expecting it be, but for $ 150 bucks, it's another flavor of analog delay to have in the arsenal.

I watched all of the Shnobel videos, especially the Moog SD vs DM-2W. Admittedly, the DM sounds like ass, in that video - sandy repeats (btw, that was my old disc jockey name back in the 90's), etc. I set my DM to the same settings, and I did not have those results. Maybe Shnobel has a bad unit (that's what she said), or I wasn't playing at a loud enough volume? My repeats did degrade eventually at longer repeat settings, but we are talking 7 or 8 repeats in, and how often is that going to be an issue, you've probably moved on to new notes at that point.

One slight issue I found was when I had the Delay time maxed out in the standard setting, and the repeat knob 11:00 or higher, and then I played a sustained chord, there seemed to be a high frequency aftertaste, for lack of a better term. I did not get this with the delay backed off even slightly from there, or in Custom Mode with the delay time set around the 300ms mark, so maybe this was just in my head, or my amp, it does need a check up.

I also noticed that, let's say at 300 ms, between the 2 modes you need to set the repeat level a bit higher in standard mode to achieve the same sound as custom mode. Not really an issue, but something I did notice.

Be careful with the repeat knob, it will get into self-oscillation quickly, and painfully, but so will the Moog if you go to high. In custom mode (with delay about 12 and below, the longer settings), I was getting a nice effect by getting the repeat knob just over the osc. line, playing a 2 or 3 note chord, letting the repeats increase in volume a little, and then backing off the knob to just under osc. The repeats found a happy volume, and lasted a long long time, such that I could solo over them. The Moog will do this in a way, but I feel it's more hi-fi, so that everything is getting repeated, and the Boss felt like it wasn't letting all of the information through, which made it more playable. Upon reading that I'm not sure if it makes sense, but it sounded good is what I'm trying to say.

I will also say, the knobs are a little close together for my fat fingers. I could see getting a second one of these, and having one of the boutique companies do a re-house into a KOT sized box, and make it switchable so you could have 2 settings available with a footswitch, if that's possible?

So not having tried the original, or any of the other normally mentioned analog delays (Retro Sonic, AD-900, DMM, Analogman etc), I can say this pedal exceeded my expectations, and for what it costs it's worth a try, I think the value is there. If you don't get a discounted new one, it will probably be even cheaper used.

My 5 cents.

Has anyone here who actually has the DM-2W heard any of the alleged overly distorted repeats (mentioned earlier in this thread) with their pedal?

I have one and am not hearing that. I do think the Standard mode sounds the best thus far.

12D29371-2DA2-4CB1-8867-6E3A18627AE1.jpg

DanHorse

So, how does the buffer sound in comparison to the original? Part of the old ones charm was the little magic it works on mids.

vanguard

So, how does the buffer sound in comparison to the original? Part of the old ones charm was the little magic it works on mids.

I eventually sold my original MN3005 because the bypassed tone lost treble that was crucial for my jangle tones. Hope the new one's better

Coldacre

One slight issue I found was when I had the Delay time maxed out in the standard setting, and the repeat knob 11:00 or higher, and then I played a sustained chord, there seemed to be a high frequency aftertaste, for lack of a better term.

it's called 'aliasing noise'. it was a "feature" of the original as well.

phoniako

Received mine on the weekend, just had some time to play with it.
I definitely need more time to form a better opinion, but from what I heard so far I like it. I owned a DM-3 before for a few years and really liked it (I know people say DM-2 and DM-3 are not the same, but I would imagine they are after all the same type of flavor, so I am taking it as my point of reference. In my opinion the main characteristics on my DM-3 where it's warmth, the echoes had a nice degradation, according to my memory they would distort fast as they faded out, but this was actually pleasent, one thing I really liked is you could play over it and the delays would not get in the ways, they would create a nice background layer.

Well, the new DM-2w has all those attributes. I don't think they are identically voiced echoes, but it does a unique voice that I like.

I've tried a few delay pedals throughout the years and finally I settled with the Moog MF-104M, it would be unfair in my opinion to compare it against it, however the DM-2w sounds good even side by side to the Moog.

In the range of cost and features I would compare it to the MXR CC, I owned one before and the echoes were much darker, they lacked definition to my ear, I would give the DM-2w my vote of preference.

FInally, it is very easy to make it self-oscillate, specially on the Custom mode, which by the way has very nice voiced echo as well.

smitty.west

After much contemplation, I snagged a DM-2W today at the Sam Ash in Vegas. Spent two hours playing it through a twin with a Tele and was pretty blown away by it. Fantastic slapback, but custom mode is what sold it to me. That ever-so-slight modulation yields an almost tape-like character that's what ultimately sold me on the pedal. Regardless of price, this is a fantastic delay- that's coming from someone who's been buying and trying delays of all sorts for over a decade now.

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
Ok I got "another" one today and it does not work.........on my board.
Alone by it self, yes.......WTF??
Can't figure it out, is anyone else running it into a stereo wet?
Is there a setting on the wet I need to adjust??
Not trying to derail, sorry...just very confused!!
Thanks,ABS

msnes335

Silver Supporting Member
Are you trying to run stereo out of the DM-2w into the Wet? The DM-2w isn't really stereo out, it's wet/dry out, so you are essentially running 2 different signals into the Neunaber. I don't have a Wet pedal, but is it possible it's not capable of handling 2 different signals at once?

Mike Duncan

Staff member
I'm enjoying mine more each day! Currently, to cover the delays and echo tones I want, I'm running an El Cap, an Echorec, and the DM-2w. They're all set differently and they ALL stand out! I'm hitting the road in a couple weeks and will bring a condensed board with me...I'm taking the DM-2w on the board. I'm happy.

Coldacre

The "feature" can be adjusted with the trim pots.

you mean it can be made worse? :bonk

you can't dial it out completely though. I had mine calibrated by Mike @ Young pedals. the only way I could minimize it was to play single coils with low output, or run it in an effects loop that is -10db. it did not like humbuckers.

smitty.west

I'm really looking forward to going home tomorrow and incorporating my new DM-2W into my setup. Will be running with an El Capistan; I think those two together will cover heaps of sonic territory. I'll be honest, I had a DM-2 years back and I couldn't for the life of me bond with it. Killer slapback, sure, but not worth the asking prices. Too short of a delay time for most of my applications. For what it was, I favoured the Ibanez AD-80 "for that type of thing". I like the Waza much more than the old ones personally because of the added delay time and modulation (even if minor) in custom mode. This pedal is a real home run for me, especially at the price. Will try to get some clips in by the weekend.

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
Ok I got "another" one today and it does not work.........on my board.
Alone by it self, yes.......WTF??
Can't figure it out, is anyone else running it into a stereo wet?
Is there a setting on the wet I need to adjust??
Not trying to derail, sorry...just very confused!!
Thanks,ABS

Does anyone have a opinion/guess or just plain know what my problem is??
Thanks

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
are you using a One Spot? Try using an isolated power source - heck even a battery to start - to make certain it's not a power problem.

Pedal Dan

The Island of Misfit Pedals
you mean it can be made worse? :bonk

you can't dial it out completely though. I had mine calibrated by Mike @ Young pedals. the only way I could minimize it was to play single coils with low output, or run it in an effects loop that is -10db. it did not like humbuckers.

Maybe you have a crappy amp.

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
are you using a One Spot? Try using an isolated power source - heck even a battery to start - to make certain it's not a power problem.

I was using isolated power on the board, and a battery!!!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom