The Nicest Chinese Pre Tubes Made Today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Feb 17, 2009.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

what are they and where can i buy some from here in the near future?
    soon i'm going to need to retube my SLO and i would like JJ12AX7s in V1 and the rest Chinese...but i would like the nicest i can buy or the best quality i can find.....can i get these pres all matched?

reason i ask is ive been doing some tube testing in my SLO w/ all different labeled chinese tubes and some seem to be harsher than others.

thankyou

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I think he said "made today". There's only one type. Shuguangs which are sold under various labels.

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

well...i dint know there was NOS chinese....whats the deal w/ them then? turn me on?

4. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Is that the same as Ruby hi gain 12ax7's? Ruby use to sell the square getter, the new ones are not.

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

In my marshalls i really like the shuguangs. Very toneful and haven't had one go microphonic yet. BTW i really like their el34's too.

6. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

[​IMG] Click to Enlarge

Penta 12AX7

This is the Penta Labs select Chinese version of the 9th gen Shuguang 12AX7. I found these in high end recording gear and decided to carry them. They are very warm and articulate, with low noise and microphonics. The Penta / Shuguang 12AX7A is made in China by the Shuguang factory exclusively for Penta Laboratories.

Just loaded a bunch of these into my XTC and they sound great. www.dougstubes.com You can get them in matched triodes...

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The HG+ on the Shuguangs doesn't stand for high gain, it's for high grade. They're less microphonic. All Shuguang tubes have a gain factor like that. Downright brittle in my AC30 and 1987, lemme tell you.

8. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

they look great..might go for that

9. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

8th gen "B" are the best Chinese 12ax7 I've heard.

Found mine on ebay.

10. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I got some of these from Dougstubes to put into my Cameron CCV-100
    Could not be happier. Quiet and thick sounding tube...In Fact....I need some more

11. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

I believe the penta's are just 9th generation shuagang that undergo more rigorous testing. Anyone know what the difference is tonally between the 8th and 9th generation chinese?

12. photios

photios Member

That's the stuff: Penta from Doug's...sound great...my fav current production pre's.

13. steve f

steve f Member

The tubes I've seen marked with a 'B' are all 9th gen Shuguang.

Here's a 9th gen tube

[​IMG]

And here's what I've always thought of as an 8th gen tube. I know these were around before the other tube listed above was available.

[​IMG]

There's a difference in the spacers, but the plates look the same to me.

There were earlier 9th gen tubes which may or not be marked as 12AX7A, and 9th gen B tubes, which are supposed to be later tubes. The problem is that the B tubes can also not have any marking at all, so the whole A/B thing is not something you can easily determine. They look identical internally from what I've seen.

The 8th gen tubes that I've seen have been a little larger in size as far as the glass (not internally).

Going to Doug's Tubes, he has both 8th and 9th gen tubes for sale, and says they sound the same. However, when the 9th gen tubes first came out all the talk then was that they were higher gain than the 8th gen. On my tube tester the 9th tubes test about 5%-10% higher on average than the 8th gen, so I think there is some difference, but I haven't done an A/B type comparison in an amp.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  14. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have no idea what these cost, but I bet you can find strong running RCA's etc...off a reputable seller on Ebay for the same price.

15. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

I was a big fan of the chinese pre's in my Bogner Shiva.

In everything else. Meh... I dunno. I think they sound kinda boring. Kinda spongy and springly and cheap sounding.

I'm just liking the tone of NOS preamp tubes a LOT lately. Something richer and more interesting about them.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The ones referred to as NOS were made in the 80's and possibly the early '90s. They have a flat square getter if I recall.

17. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Thanks for that. The Tubes I have, and really like have no markings on them.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Markings mean nothing. The same tube can be sold under countless different brand names or to OEMs with no markings at all.

You have to know what to look for INSIDE the glass.

19. straticus

straticus Member

I'm getting ready to re-tube my amp. I think I'll try those Penta's.

20. freaksho

freaksho Member

well whatever you decide (i vote for just the regular old current prod Shuguang and be done with it), be sure to get them from someone you know/trust and not some random ebay listing. i've been burned by that before. go with Doug or Mike and you can't go wrong.