• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

"The noise is just part of the Single Coil sound" Respond

Jonny D

Just had yet another conversation in which someone mentioned this gem of wisdom. I offered my response. Curious about yours.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Doesn't bother me much. Kind of a non issue unless the place has horrible wiring and the the guitar is unshielded and he rig is just mess of ground loops.

Play on through

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
It's the sound of electric guitar. Listen to old Hendrix records. The volume on the guitar is rolled up, the air becomes electric, then all hell breaks loose. I love it. Single coil hum rules.

I'm not kidding either.

RocksOff

I finally went back to single coils after a few years of flirtation with humbuckers. I missed the noise the entire time, but I didn't realize that was the issue for a while.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think anyone likes noise per se, but I'd rather have a little noise than what I hear from a typical mudbucker.

shane8

short ans = yep

long ans = the noise is part of the vibe man & no noise cancelling pickup nails either the sound or the vibe so you choose your poison :p

overdriven sc sound ratty + nasty in a way no humbucker can

Rock n roll really isn't the place for those overly worried about noise...
:dude

Jonny D

Just do me a favor and do a good shielding job. I have no idea why Fender doesn't simply put $8 worth of effort into shielding top shelf guitars when they know very well it is a central issue with the Strat and Tele.

GulfportBound

Single coils . . .

easyace-albums-les-paul-1956-reissue-picture63552-20140115-les-paul-r6-13.jpg

. . . and extremely little to no hum. (And if there is any little hum, I just lay my hand over the strings between songs.)

But a beautiful sound when I play her.

Steve Ouimette

Silver Supporting Member
I'm all for the noise if you're talking about rock and roll. It's part of the attitude and noiseless single coils sound polite to me. For other types of music where you want single coil tone I see no reason why not to have noiseless. Sometimes I will purposely turn the guitar into the noise of the pickup..but it's just a preference. Noise is like glue for the sound.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
ehh, i think this is stockholm syndrome, telling ourselves that the noise itself is somehow a good thing.

it's the tone of real single coils that's the good thing, noise is just the price we pay for it.

Average Joe

Once I had my teles and strats properly shielded I didn't think the noise was bad at all. For Higher gain I'm a big fan of the rw/rp combined settings

I think it's rubbish that "the noise is part of the sound" but I think of it as similar to the old vinyl albums - hearing the music on CD or just an unused LP when I'd been conditioned to like it with all known noise and scratches could be downright unnerving the first times

Top Bottom