The OD showdown

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moe45673, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey, I have a tonebone hot-british distortion, which I love.

The problem with it is that it's not very flexible. I can't get low gain sounds out of it, nor grittier sounds. This is a problem because I joined a singer/songwriter type of band that barely uses any distortion at all, and if they do, it's low-gain.

I've been reading through the threads here, and I've narrowed it down to these 4 ODs:

The TIM/timmy
    voodoo labs sparkle drive
    lovepedal eternity
    fulltone OCD
    *edit*keeley RAT *end edit*

real estate on my pedalboard is at a prime, so size is important. However, if a big pedal, like the sparkle drive sounds better than the others, I'd go for it. True bypass is desired.

Finally, where in the setup would I put my OD? I'm happy with where my tonebone is in my rig, would it just be a matter of putting it either before or after the tonebone? or would I want to put it somewhere else, like after my eq or boost pedals, before my wah, whatever.

Some help deciding would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I recently got to play (as in yesterday) a Timmy and OCD. I own a Sparkle Drive and happen to make a couple of lower gain boost and overdrive pedals (all-tube and probably bigger than what you want). I can also recommend a Barber LTD to the list you have provided.

Each of these pedals has a different flavor and excels at different things. I would say the most transparent (other than mine of course ;) are the LTD and Timmy. These are very transparent and don't seem to monkey with your tone. I just ordered a Timmy for myself.

The Sparkle Drive is possibly one of the best Tube Screamer type pedals on the market. It lets you layer in a full-range clean boost to help iron out the mid bump in the TS. But, it still has a very present coloration of its own and is certainly in the TS vein.

The OCD was cool. I would like to play with it a little more before I start spouting comments, but it didn't leave a huge impression on me. It reminds me of some other pedal I just can't put my finger on...

No experience with the Eternity, so I can't comment on that one.

3. smilefan

smilefan Member

Owned and sold a TIM -

Great, versatile pedal, found it a bit polite in character for my taste.

Sparkledrive -

Good, cheap TS-style pedal. I actually thought the
    HBE Powerscreamer has this beat in the TS dept.

OCD -

Good Marshally style pedal, like the other poster, didn't
    make any great impression on me.

Eternity -

I own and love one (although its sitting on Macaroni's pedal
    board right now). One of the best OD's at any price.
    I find that it has an immediately ear-catching character.
    The onboard treble booster is a great addition to its
    versatility. It seems to combine a slight lower mid
    hump with a sweet musical presence from the treble
    booster circuit that gives it a perfect balance between
    ("chewy" is how Macaroni terms it) note body and cut.
    Best of breed pedal.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

if you want to hear some songs by the band I'm in, go to www.sayahmusic.com

I'd recommend listening to beggars ballad and it could be two, for ideas on the "harder" types of songs we do. The outro of beggars ballad would be slightly overdriven power chords, and a great example of the type of tone I am looking for. My tonebone is too much for that kinda thing. btw, I have a clean boost pedal (super chile picoso) which I am quite happy with, so any boosting capabilities is not necessarily.

Hmmm, the eternity is seeming better and better (but then again, the expensive ones always do, don't they?). I've definitely eliminated the OCD and the Sparkle Drive, as I'm basically looking for a clean tone, but with extra harmonics and oomph (you know, a low gain OD)

Smilefan, you said the TIM was too polite for your tastes. I hear that, but this style of music may call for a more "polite" taste, so would you recommend it?

also, add a keeley RAT to that list. What are your opinions on this baby? I've heard a stock RAT (guitarist in my old band used one) and was quite pleased with the tone. Only heard it on high-gain, and like my tonebone more, but it sounded quite good for a pedal, nonetheless, and it has the ability to be used with less gain. Are the keeley mods true bypass?

5. smilefan

smilefan Member

I cant comment on the Keeley RAT. Never heard one.
    The RAT tone never worked for me. The mids were too dry.
    That silicon transistor character.

The TIM is a no-brainer for a versatile low-mid gain OD.
    Whether you personally dig it or not is up to your ears alone.
    Everbody I know who's heard one thinks the TIM is great.

I personally prefer the new Barber-made Clark Gainster to the TIM. Not as flexible or versatile, but more preserving of your
    string attack and high-end detail. Plus I like its Tweed-inspired
    voices more. The character catches my ear. The TIM's
    character is less specifically voiced. It would serve you well
    in your application, and they are popular enough that you would
    likely not lose much in event of a sale (if that's important to you).

6. trucks

trucks Member

After listening to Beggar's Ballad, I think a Timmy would do very nice. Plus the Timmy can be used as an incredible clean boost.

The OCD would take this song in a very different direction. I use mine for mid to higher gain. It really sounds like a cranked amp.

No experience with the others.

Another great low gain pedal is the zendrive.

Nice song, BTW.

7. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

+1 on the Tim and ++1 on the Eternity!

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

thanks for your help, y'all. I'm gonna go for a timmy! I'm kinda broke, still need to save up for a pedalboard, but after that, low gain OD all the way!

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

alright, question here:

can the lovepedal eternity go from almost no OD to over-the-top? does/can it sound similar to a TIM in low OD mode?

10. muddy

muddy Member

you really should put the pro analog dual drive on that short list. for one, it has 2 discrete od's that share the controls, but are voiced quite differently. one is a clean drive, and the other is a full on overdrive. with a good valve amp, this and either a compressor or boost/light od that has a tone control is all you'd need in the gain dept. it's a VERY uncompressed od that basically gives you YOUR amp's tone on steroids, so i recommend something to goose it & give you some saturation, as an alternative to an uncompressed drive. i've been using either a janglebox or a bjf pink purple fuzz with the gain backed all the way to 9-9:30 and the "nature" on, 10:00 or so. it's gorgeous, and there's NOTHING at all similar to it, tonally or responsively!

ml

11. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

The Dual Drive and Eternity are both probably head and shoulders above most other drives. I have both on my board and use the DD for medium gain and the Eternity for a little higher. I could get by with only one, but it's too tough to decide between the two. Lately, for low gain, I've been using the new Dirty Blonde. Currently, it has knocked both the TIM and Red Snapper off the board.

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I've tried a lot of pedals lately, some are incredible, but nothing has unseated my faulty Proco Rat as my desert island pedal, and I'm really hoping to find something that does.
    Kelley

13. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I just got my OCD recently and, initially, at home, it was very good but didn't make an overwhelming impression on me...i then took it out live and I gotta say, it is a fabulous pedal! I guess the best way to describe it is that it just isn't there...it turned a Fender Blues Deluxe with a Emi Private Jack into a real fire-breather...it is a very quite pedal and the touch sensitivity, dynamics, harmonics...all that "stuff" was there in just the perfect proportions...

14. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

The dual drive: I appreciate the suggestion (really!) but it's even more expensive than the eternity, so that's out

I'm gonna go for the eternity, I have serious gas for that. I may even trade in my hot british for one (though probably not :p )

Forgot to say, in my original post, that 9VDC is a must, as I have no more room on my powerbar and therefore am powering the pedal with my godlyke

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

why not a nice Keeley BD-2? its my low OD pedal of choice. course, you can flip on the big butt low end "fat" switch, or crank the gain for something waaaay gnarlier.

www.robertkeeley.com

and be sure to check out my OD pedal comparison.

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I was thinkin of the BD-2, but a lot of people said they were put off by the decay rate, so I scratched that. I'm goin for an eternity! I'm gonna be poor!

17. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    ... but rich at the same time. Great pedal!:dude

18. el34power

el34power Member

+1 on the Keeley BD-2. Also the Barber LTD is a clear winner and cheap too. Both on my board. great team.

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I own an OCD and TIM, and depending on the day, I like one better than the other..... I don't care for the 2nd boost level on the TIM all that much, so maybe a Timmy would be better? The OCD sounds great at all gain levels, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the TIM to have two stomp buttons.

20. rhmcfarland

rhmcfarland Member

Eternity..... yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!

I love mine. I use the "fat chip," and run it with the volume @ 2 o'clock, and treble and clip @ about 10 o'clock. Its very responsive to the guitar volume, and I usually have that set at about halfway up on the Tele, then roll it up full for leads. Very amp-like, and altogether cool.