the "odd pedals" thread

smitty.west

"odd" will no doubt mean different things to different people, but i think we can all agree that your typical tgp flavour-of-the-week overdrive/distortion won't fit the bill. that said, what are some of your favourite oddities?

i've been on a bit of an odd pedal binge as of late having just purchased a montreal assembly count to five, chase bliss wombtone, warped vinyl, moog mf chorus and mwfx judder (large metal box). looking to get an industrialectric echo degrader next, but am keen on learning more on what's out there. schumann pedals sure are interesting- wish i could get my hands on the two face fuzz and/or lion x. also intrigued by the sonic crayon fx stuff!

as always, pics are encouraged :D

Dude, can you talk a bit about the judder? I know what the small box one does with the stutter effect, but the big box one has all those switches and knobs and I haven't really seen a good demo of it. It looks like it's really versatile. I've got a red Panda Particle but it seems like the judder could kick it off my board if I was able to get my hands on one.

smitty.west

Dude, can you talk a bit about the judder? I know what the small box one does with the stutter effect, but the big box one has all those switches and knobs and I haven't really seen a good demo of it. It looks like it's really versatile. I've got a red Panda Particle but it seems like the judder could kick it off my board if I was able to get my hands on one.
I just purchased it yesterday-- he released a new batch-- so won't have it in my hands for at least another week, but will post back as soon as I've got it! Count to 5 same deal; got the new version which ships end of this month. Incredibly stoked for both.
Just put in the order for the Industrialectric Echo Degrader, too!

smitty.west

Maneco Looper Pedals. I have 3 of them.
I used to own the Filter Eko II (or something like that) and while I adored the idea of them on paper, I couldn't really vibe with it in person. Not to mention sending dough via Western Union to Uruguay and then not hearing from the builder for months at a time wasn't the best feeling... Which ones do you own? Been years since I've seen them mentioned on here (though I just recommended one to another forumite on a similar quest like me the other day). Care to post a pic?

I just purchased it yesterday-- he released a new batch-- so won't have it in my hands for at least another week, but will post back as soon as I've got it! Count to 5 same deal; got the new version which ships end of this month. Incredibly stoked for both.
Just put in the order for the Industrialectric Echo Degrader, too!
You're living the dream, my friend.

Squatch57

So, what does it do and what do the labels say?
Well I can't read Russian, but the blurb says it's got flanger, chorus, octave and solo/rhythm switching
Quite reminiscent of the old Roland GR-300 with those knobs

Last edited:

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
I'm with the OP here... After purchasing hundreds (I guess) of mainstream pedals, I know like the weird and odd.

- Chase Bliss Gravitas
- TC Ditto x2 (reverse feature is simply amazing)
- Digitech Obscura
- Moog MF104m
- CB Talisman
- El Cap (sound on sound)
- CB Antichthon (incoming)
- Bearfoot Evergreen Comp
- PTD Velocitine (incoming)
- EQD Echorec
- Deco

Would like...

- All Chase Bliss
- All EQD

And anything else recommended in this thread !

1radicalron

Here are a few Odd Balls.
Blues Pearl "Blue Balls" Overdrive

Auralux King Trem - Stereo Phased Tremolo

SIB Varidrive Tube Overdrive

Last edited:

jimbugg

Silver Supporting Member
a lot of EQD stuff is pretty out there (ex: Rainbow Machine, Arpanoid), as is some of the Old Blood Noise stuff, but most those are pretty easy to reign in.

for the truly next-level stuff, I'd also check out Mantic Effects and Recovery FX.

1radicalron

I used to own the Filter Eko II (or something like that) and while I adored the idea of them on paper, I couldn't really vibe with it in person. Not to mention sending dough via Western Union to Uruguay and then not hearing from the builder for months at a time wasn't the best feeling... Which ones do you own? Been years since I've seen them mentioned on here (though I just recommended one to another forumite on a similar quest like me the other day). Care to post a pic?
I have the Mini Looper, Filter Echo and the Looper Elite. I found mine on these very pages, mostly for a song. I have had them for years. They all work great! = Will post Pic's soon.

Turi

Doesn't get a whole lot more odd than the Timebender:

I really dig EQD and EHX stuff for whacky things, they always tend to provide the basics + quirky in the same box - that's great to me (that's also exactly what the Timebender is), because you can use the same pedal for say slapback delay and then also for going places not a whole lot of others have.
Brilliant.
The Digitech Supernatural is an awesome oddball reverb pedal, great for people who dig reverb but want something a little quirky in their too.

I basically only gravitate towards the oddball stuff. Great thread. That russian thing looks awesome.

rbrmfld

Two that come to mind
The Goatkeeper from Lightfoot Labs-- A multisequence tremolo. very different and cool

and the Pitch Grinder by Dwarfcraft Devices-- A sequenced Pitch shifter.

Both of these are very interesting and I'd love to sit down and tinker for hours with them.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I had one, it was a mediocre wah, an unremarkable volume pedal and built of cheap tin. The hurricane/surf/siren sounds got old fast (especially since you could now use a looper to create them). Weird but not good...

I kinda want that russian pedal!

Other weird stuff: the 4ms stuff often goes the extra mile-fuzzes like the Atoner (which adds a kind of ring modulation to the fuzz) will fairly reliably destroy your tone. As will the Schuman PLL-beats and atonal stuff and "harmony" all over the place. The SIB stuff and some of the other things mentioned above are rare and cool, but are they weird? I kinda don't think so. The Korg X-911 and PME-40x are both truly weird "guitar synth pedals", along with the Pigtronix Mothership derived from them. The Infinitephaser from Australia is expensive, weird and cool... There are so many it's just hard to pick and choose.

Trending Topics