1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Since the last thread is from ‘09, maybe it’s time for something fresh. :D

Btw, Bad Cat’s having a 15% off and free shipping Memorial Day promo.... So I did my duty and ordered a Cub III 15R. :banana

Here’s an admittedly crappy mockup I made. Did anybody else order anything? Post some pics! I need something to help me through the next 2-4 months of waiting. Lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    JVJ likes this.
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Huge Bad Cat fan. I have a 2003 era Hot Cat 30R head and matching 1x12 cab and a Panther 35R head. Hands down two of my favorite amps.

your name here likes this.
  3. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

I recently picked up a gently used BC-50. It was a model they made for a few years under the moniker "Boutique within reach" or something like that. Handwired 50W EL-34 rock machine. Very Loud (I use it with a BadCat Unleash to tame it a bit and for the effects loop). Sounds killer through my Stagecraft diagonal 2x12 with Scumback J75LD/H75LD combo. Cuts through the mix like a hot knife through butter without being overly harsh.

4. your name here

I had a Hot Cat 30R very briefly - for about two days - in the early 2000’s. Awesome amp. One of the only things ever to be stolen from me. I’ve always wondered about the Panther...

That sounds awesome. I think an Unleash V2 is on my list next. Is yours a V2? If so, how do you find the tone with headphones? At least passable? Given the headphone capability, the V2 really is the answer to a bunch of my wanting to play and record late at night problems.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, the Hot Cat is just an awesome amp. The Clean channel is truly amazing. Just awesome cleans and can be pushed into the best classic rock OD most have ever heard, IMO. And then there is the gain channel. Just killer. Panther is a completely different Cat than the Hot Cat. But, just as amazing.

6. narad

narad Supporting Member

Here's my custom sparkle tolex Cub IIIR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purists tend to dislike reverb in modified topboost circuits, but I think it adds a lot to the amp here.

7. your name here

That’s what I’m talking about!!! I LOVE sparkles! :love:

I’ve got a great reverb capable of really good spring sounds on my board - the Ventris - but figured why not throw it into the amp, as well. I’m sure I’ll like it.

8. narad

narad Supporting Member

^^ Actually thanks for pointing that sale out. I'm not in the position now to do anything but a custom tolex Lynx with fresh tubes for $2300 shipped...not bad, not bad! I guess Humbucker Music sells them at that price anyway, and used they're like $1700, but probably +$300 to get a guy to retolex. BTW, has anyone seen a Bad Cat in carbon fiber tolex? I see they offer it, not sure anyone's hit them about about it though.

9. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Hot Cat 15 owner here! Love this amp and I play it all the time.

Question- which Bad Cat do you guys recommend for a Fendery Stones/Faces Tele edge of breakup rock/blues tone? I think it’s the Fat Cat 50, but let me know what else comes to mind.

[​IMG]

mdog114 and your name here like this.
  10. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Classic Cat?

12. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

After playing mostly Fender tweeds for several decades, I bought a Bad Cat Cub III last year. Holy cow! I’m still amazed each time I play it.

It toggles between two preamp choices (EF86/12AX7): toggles between a T and B tone stack and 5 way rotary switch; and boost/no boost options. Every combination sounds great, and with the K master, I can get “grind” at conversation volume levels.

If you have the chance to try one, don’t pass it up!

13. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    John

Lwilliams, H. Mac and your name here like this.
  14. Slevin

Slevin Member

I’d go with the Fat Cat. I love bad cat and just can’t understand why they only have three models in production. It did look like they were working on a new circuit on instagram though

your name here and skhan007 like this.
  15. Slevin

Slevin Member

Yep. I’ve had a cub iii for 2 years now love it. I usually play the ef86 preamp but I’ve been loving the 12ax7 with boost lately.

@jbt7764 I’ve been messaging you about a 4x12 without speakers and I’m getting very close to popping for it.

I’ve owned 3 bad cats and here’s my two current:

[​IMG]

teefus, H. Mac and your name here like this.
  16. voxylady

voxylady Member

Huge bad cat fan. Still salty from selling my Judah 20, but now rockin a cub III and its my favorite amp of all time. Had it for a couple years and haven't felt the need to replace it. Only thing I might do is get an unleash if I start playing out again. Much love to John and the Bad Cat team!

17. your name here

I’ve been seriously considering getting an Unleash V2 next, but I’m wondering how it sounds when using headphones. I didn’t really find answers when I researched.

Anybody?

18. narad

narad Supporting Member

Another pro of sparkle tolex -- today as I was disassembling some furniture a metal leg came off hinge early and swung around, slicing into the side of the Cub of all things. Deep. It's like 2 weeks old! I have to admit, it's hard to see ...it'd be super obvious if it was standard tolex. But jeez, couldn't have been 2mm further out? :-/

19. your name here

Does anyone know how much the Cub III 15R combo weighs? I’m trying to decide whether I want an ATA case for this one, or if I just wanna get a Tuki cover for now.

20. your name here

That sucks! I’m sorry!

I’ve been there with a $3k+ custom guitar in the recent past. Bent over to turn a knob on my amp - the strap came off of the butt end of the guitar. Guitar swung down and tagged the corner of my amp’s roadcase, leaving a 1in gash that I couldn’t unsee. I’d had the guitar for maybe a day. :cry::bkw

Rubber washer “straplocks” always, on everything, from that moment forward.