The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. 108

108 Member

I adore the Hotcake. It definitely melds best with my AC30. It’s the most overdrive I’ve ever owned, and I have two on my board. It sounds fantastic with the clean channel of the Hot Cat as well, however it oddly does not play nicely with the Cub III, which is tonally closer to the AC30 than the Hot Cat.

brian_ward likes this.
  2. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Hey gang! Thinking about grabbing a new 212 for my bad cat. I’ve narrowed it down to either a bad cat 212 or an open back avatar vintage 212 loaded with an alnico gold and a creamback h75. If anyone has any input, I would GREATLY appreciate it. I’m a notorious over-thinker so if anyone could set me at ease it would be sick. The bad cat cab seems like an obvious choice for now but I kind of want to future proof myself if I ever decide to move away from the bad cat and am worried the bad cat cab would be less of a good fit for different amps in the future. Like I said-overthinker...

3. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

Interesting. I’ve been goofing with pedals for my black cat and I keep coming back to my regular old ts mini. Cheapest pedal I own and it sounds the best. Who would have thought!

s360guitarist likes this.
  4. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

I just thought I would share this. I am absolutely in love with the sound coming from my Strymon Riverside Drive. That thing is fantastic. You can dial it in so that you cannot hear it when engaged , and then just roll in the drive as you roll back the level to match unity volume level. That thing just sounds like the amp driven. I am using it with my personal Cub 40 Player Series. I have tried it with a Hot Cat and Black Cat. This pedal kills !!!! Serious hats off to the folks at Strymon for this one.
    Granted what I am looking for is a pedal to just make it sound like Im driving my amp so I can run it relatively clean in a band situation. I have tried quite a few other things to lessor success. This thing is a sleeper.
    John

EL34, oansun, Tonekat and 1 other person like this.
  5. james...

james... Supporting Member

Something I need to ask John at some point is why the Vintage 30 was chosen for the proprietary Bad Cat speakers they use. It seems an odd choice. It makes the amp sound kind of aggressive in a way that I'm not sure a Vox style amp necessarily should.

In its defense, it is a very versatile sounding speaker. I don't have a Hot Cat, but the bad cat speakers pair very well with that sound.

6. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

I've swapped in a WGS Blackhawk alnico and a Cannabis Rex on my Cub 40R and they were both fine but neither complimented the amp particularly well. I was expecting the alnico to be special but it really couldn't do that glassy thing very well.

7. james...

james... Supporting Member

I don't think the Cub 40 is designed for that anyway. It's on the harsher side of Vox style because of the EL34's. The Chieftain is the same way. It's got growl but not glass IMO.

8. 108

108 Member

Anybody tried a Scumnico speaker with their Cub? It seems to be less harsh than other alnico speakers, so maybe it’s a better compliment for the amp.

I had a Scumback J75 in my 1x12 but moved it to a 2x12 with an M75, so now I’m looking at options for that empty 1x12.

9. brian_ward

brian_ward Member

I have a Weber Blue dog in my 212 (along side a 55hz h magnet Weber Legacy). Not much chime to be had. Waiting on a bad cat cab

10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Passed recently on a used Bad Cat speaker cause it was ID'd at being made just before BC started making the proprietary speaker...so it was really just a v30 with the doping altered...gonna have to save for the real thing.

11. 108

108 Member

I have a 4x12 on order and can’t wait to see what the Bad Cat speaker itself is all about. From John’s description, it should be a mix of my three favorite speakers. I had one of the old Vintage 30s that had lighter doping in my 1x12 originally.

12. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Member

I have finally joined the Bad Cat family!! Picked up a Hot Cat reverb combo with kmaster and it arrives Wednesday. I’ve been wanting a BC for ten years now and my google email for last 7-8yrs even has BadCat in it. It’s been a long time coming and can’t wait to play it.

narad, MrJMeadows, bullet6759 and 3 others like this.
  13. AK1016

AK1016 Member

Be sure to let us know how you like it when it arrives!

14. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the NAD! Welcome!

15. motron

motron Member

I am also a new member of the Bad Cat family, having just obtained a new Black Cat 15R. I love the amp. I don't feel a need to change the stock tubes, but just out of curiosity, what are other's favorite tubes? Even if I don't want to replace any now, it probably wouldn't hurt to have some spares on hand.

AK1016 and s360guitarist like this.
  16. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me about the Bad Cat Alley Cat? Its a 7.5w 1x12 EL84 combo. I've been offered it in a trade

17. narad

narad Member

Anyone see the summer sale email? $1999 for a Lynx is tempting, but the used ones are also nice at $1300-1400. Does anyone know how the newer ones compare to the older ones?

18. AK1016

AK1016 Member

If I recall correctly, the older models have two inputs and don't have an effects loop. Current models have one input for both channels, an effects loop, and are in a smaller size chassis. Tone-wise, they should sound the same! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    MrJMeadows likes this.
  19. narad

narad Member

Thanks. No parts/circuit changes to the main schematic apart from the loop and the like?

Regarding what you said before, I wrote John last week regarding it but haven't heard anything back. I am curious if you'd do a Lynx with custom tolex. I had this in mind:

https://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/tolex-tweed-color-sparkle/Mojotone-Deep-Space-Tolex-55-W

20. AK1016

AK1016 Member

No problem! John says there aren't. I'd call the shop, that's usually the best way to reach him to pick his brain about the Lynx and the tolex you'd like. Sound wise, you're good with a new or used one, I've heard both, they're amazing.

narad likes this.