The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Thinking about a matching cab for my Hot Cat 15. There are some used black tolex ones and some smooth cream tolex ones (roughly $350 used pricing). BUT...I think a black cab with the smooth cream front like my amp would be killer. Might have to order one new to get that specific color combo, however. That’s closer to $600 :(. What do you guys think? No rush, so maybe wait for the color combo I like to come up for sale?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Mark Douglass likes this.
  2. LPtone30

LPtone30 Member

If that's what you really want, I would wait for it and not settle for a used one that you won't be as happy with. That's just me...

skhan007 likes this.
  3. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

If you plan to keep your BC head for a long time, it may be wise to go for the cab you want. A $250 savings won’t mean much over time if you’re not satisfied with the appearance of your amp.

I plan to keep my BC Cub III head for a long time, so after getting a matching BC 1X12 cab, I bought a second one (unloaded) directly from John. It not only sounds great, but looks great too.

RAG7890, skhan007 and s360guitarist like this.
  4. ozraves

ozraves Member

I think it is has been posted before but I note there are different Bad Cat speaker cabs available.

There is LG and STD.

There is 11 ply and 13 ply birch.

Can someone explain the diff?

5. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

11 ply equates to our 5/8 plywood and the 13 to our 3/4 in. ply. We switched some years ago. We did so because of weight not cost. The 5/8 is very strong and much lighter.

Some of our new stuff such as the Cub 50/50 Stereo we are building out of a lightweight poplar ply. Strong and VERY light.
    https://reverb.com/p/bad-cat-cub-50-slash-50-stereo-50-watt-slash-side-guitar-amp-head

The LG (Large) head shell, combo or extension cabinet are to accommodate the old 18" chassis Bad Cat amps. Like the old Black Cats, Trem Cats, Hot Cat 30R's, Panthers . My first words when I walked in the door when I saw those was " Holy crap is that an end table"?

The STD (no jokes please) or Standard size is what we now build everything in. It is a 17" chassis. Like the old Cubs, Hot Cat 30 (no R) size. The modern head shells will fit the older amps no problem and likewise for the LG.

In fact we only make the LG stuff so that people that have the older amps can get replacement cabs or transfer to a different configuration.

I hope this helps.

If anyone has a question I always try to take the call

John 714-878-6515

6. Ape2000

Ape2000 Supporting Member

Anyone here play both the Player Series Hot Cat and the Lynx? There's a used Lynx I've been in talks with someone about that I am very close to getting; but I am curious about the Hot Cat, too.

7. AK1016

AK1016 Member

You're good either way, both are amazing! The biggest difference tonally will be the clean channel. The Lynx clean channel stays cleaner longer than the Hot Cat's. The Hot Cat's clean channel ranges from clean to vintage crunch. Channel 2 of the Hot Cat PS is voiced to incorporate elements of the Lynx so it's going to have more gain and aggressive mid-range than the hand-wired Hot Cat's 2nd channel but the Lynx may have slightly more gain on tap.

Ape2000 likes this.
  8. Ape2000

Right on, thanks for the response! Headroom is important to me. Similar eq/tonally with the updated voicing? Less concerned about amount of gain.

Brendan from Circa Survive plays an older Hot Cat and guitarists from Porcupine Tree, Thursday, and Converge have used the Lynx, so I know that camp is good company!

9. AK1016

AK1016 Member

Happy to help! The Lynx has a few more options on the EQ section with the edge and mid-boost controls, but what we did was voice the Hot Cat channel 2 with the ideal settings(in our opinion) of the Lynx pre-set in the tone stack. Like I said earlier, you're good either way! If you're looking at an earlier Lynx and use an effects loop regularly, make sure you ask the seller if the amp you're looking at has one, early Lynx models don't have an effects loop.

sickboy79 and Ape2000 like this.
  10. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

@jbt7764

John, I would love to have a loop installed on my ‘05 Hot Cat 15,
    But I realize having a proper tube -driven loop is logistically challenging and cost-prohibitive. Do you think the metro effects loop could be an option? It looks like it takes up very little real estate and might be just the ticket, as I simply want to run a reverb pedal in the loop.

https://store.metropoulos.net/products/zero-loss-fx-loop-kit

Ape2000 likes this.
  11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

The matching cab would look killer! Just keep your eyes out there for one.

s360guitarist likes this.
  12. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Member

The Hot Cat I bought off eBay of course arrived broken. Fast forward a month and I have it back from the shop. Ummm...this amp is incredible!!! Boy does it have a lot of gain to it. I’m using it in a country band so have the gain set at 9 o’clock. So much response and dynamics to it. I’m probably going to live there most of the time.

Already interested in a Black Cat bc that will probably fulfill my needs a bit better. I’ve wanted a Bad Cat for 10yrs and have to say, it’s been worth the wait.

s360guitarist, skhan007 and Ape2000 like this.
  13. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

We just built a couple of new Hot Cats for Brendan. He took delivery on them about six months ago. Also a couple of new Lynx's for Steven that he keeps in the US.
    If you have any questions just give us a call. We enjoy listening and helping someone get into the correct amp for them , even if its another brand.
    John

Ape2000 likes this.
  14. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Yes , I think that could work. Funny George just sent me a Facebook request. I am a big admirer of his work for some time. I look forward to getting to know him.

skhan007 likes this.
  15. Ape2000

Thanks, John. I'll take you up on that soon! Any day/time best to reach out?

16. cheap

cheap Member

Just stopping in to vouch for how excellent John/Bad Cat have been since I purchased a used Lynx 50 combo a few months back.

I had some *REALLY* bad luck with UPS thrashing around the amp more than once and had to send it in to get fixed. John's responsiveness and willingness to take a phone call goes so far for a company like this. He's obviously just as excited as us normal folk are about these amps and makes it so easy to be a confident customer.

About the amp... The 3D thing the Lynx has going for it is really freaky at any volume level. Super responsive with or without pedals. At this point I have it listed on Reverb to cover an impulsive week at Summer NAMM buying one of my dad's guitars last month, but am trying hard every day to come up with cash elsewhere so I can keep it haha. Gotta keep the wife happy though so yeah..

Ape2000 likes this.
  17. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Member

I had the same issue with the US Postal service. John returned my phone call in 10min. Gave me a heads up about the Cub 50/50 that was coming out(really cool amp) and seemed to just be a really overall good guy. I’m already planning to buy the Black Cat combo when I recover myself from buying the Hot Cat and a custom shop guitar. June was a really expensive month for me lol.

18. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Any time 714-878-6515. best between 8am-7pm pacific. But if you call in other time , if Im not busy Ill pick it up
    JT

Ape2000 likes this.
  19. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Just stopped in to say I’m back in the Bad Cat Club! I moved my Friedman Buxom Betty for the Cub iii 15r. The Buxom Betty was killer but wayyyy too loud and reverb was a bit too subtle. The K Master is the best master volume I’ve ever used period. Anyone out there own a Classic or Classic player with the K Master that can speak to it? The Jay Leonard J Demo on YouTube pulls on heartstrings pretty hard.

AK1016 and Austin_Taunt like this.
  20. AK1016

AK1016 Member

K-Master works the same on the Classic Pro or Classic Deluxe as it does on your Cub. :aok