The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

K Master is excellent .

Lynx is one of the few amps I miss.
    Only sold it to try other amps (1 in 1 out). I anticipate a reunion in the future .

AK1016 likes this.
  2. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Curios for those of you with the Cub or black cat. Do you prefer to use the tone selector knob or the bass and treble stack? I’m gravitating towards the tone stack as it seems to be a smoother type breakup set and forget. Also what pedals are you running? I have the amp set up volume at 1:00 amp barely breaking up and boost with a Centura right now. I use fender with low output pups so it’s not a ton of gain. I was thinking a fairly flat drive like an OCD or maybe timmy or lightspeed?

3. Slideman

Slideman Member

I personally prefer the tone stack due to the flexibility. Other than the Centura, this amp definitely loves cleaner type boosts -- the boost side of a Fulltone FD-3 and a Keeley Katana sound incredible boosting this amp.

Tele81 likes this.
  4. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Member

So the Bad Cat bug has bitten me well. Got a Hot Cat 1x12 not to long ago and today I ran across a local deal on a Sampson era Cub II 2x10 combo. Picking her up tomorrow at 5pm. Now all I need is a Black Cat combo and I will have the set. Also saw a Mini Cat on reverb for a decent price. How many Bad Cats is too many?!?!

Tele81, AK1016 and s360guitarist like this.
  5. LPtone30

LPtone30 Member

I've been wondering about this as well. I can't seem to decide which I prefer. They're both very different.

I'm using a prince of tone, d&m drive and Koko boost. All work well with the cub.

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Which Cub ii? Rotary switch or the Spectrum/Focused switch? (I have the latter.)

7. AK1016

AK1016 Member

I prefer using the bass and treble side rather than the tone selector, personally!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 6:59 PM
  8. el34power

el34power Member

Hey all. I just put my hands on a BC50 head. I could use some help for you. I was only able to crank it at band practice last friday. As i had suspected. It didn't seem loud enough to keep up even with just the drumer. We play classic rock, at moderate volumes, nothing crazy. It sounds good but not loud enough. Not even close. Having owned a 72 superbass, 2204, and 2203. I think i can tell what a 50, or 100 watter should push. I was using a Peavey Delta bues 2x10, and it just kills it volume wise.The previous owner replaced all the tubes with JJ's. He didn't re-bias. I am realy hoping that's all it needs. Any help would be amazing. Thanks

9. Austin_Taunt

Austin_Taunt Member

Has the spectrum/focused switch. Any settings you recommend?

s360guitarist likes this.
  10. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Can anyone speak to the BadCat labeled speaker? Is it just a v30? The speaker sounds great regardless but I can’t help but wonder what a Celestion Alnico Cream might sound?

s360guitarist likes this.
  11. s360guitarist

Well, perhaps incorrectly, I call it the Spitfire/Lightning switch. The focused switch makes the circuit more mid-forward, i.e. focuses the mids to my ears. Very Voxy to me. The Spectrum switch broadens the tonal spectrum by scaling back on the mids. It is more general of a tone to me. The cut control, IMO, is where it is with this amp, and each flip of the switch will cause you to adjust that cut control.

12. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

Sounds like the tubes are a big issue there. If they aren’t running efficiently they aren’t going to push the power needed. Bad cat uses very large custom transformers that are typically way more powerful than their wattage rating.

13. Slevin

Slevin Supporting Member

I’ve got two creambacks in my cab and it’s phenominal with the cub iii. Didnt really think much about the bc v30 when I had it, as in it didn’t leave an impression one way or the other. Just a good speaker. But I think the g12m-65s are a great paring for it.

Obligatory amp and cab pic

[​IMG]

14. s360guitarist

There is more to the speaker these days than a name change. It is a proprietary design with Celestion. Maybe @jbt7764 or @celestion101
    can chime in.