The Official BAD CAT Thread

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
I finally was able to plug in my newly acquired Cub IV 30R and I absolutely love it. It was the exact sound in my head. I do have a somewhat simple question about the foot switch and which pre-amp tube is selected. How do I know which pre-amp tube is selected when the foot switch is engaged or disengaged?

I reference the little light on the amp itself - I don't recall which is which when on but you get the idea.

But in fairness I spend 95%+ of my time in the EF86 mode.

Last edited:

pipboy90

Silver Supporting Member
Oh no, I´ve had a Hot Cat Players Series Lynx X for about 4 months, wonderful amp (!) No, haven´t you heard, there´s a brand new ¨reworked from the ground up with brand new features¨ Players Series II amps, soon to be announced (I hope!) Perhaps John or someone else in the know will be nice enough to toss us a bone about what to expect!
If you find the Lynx X has too much gain on the dirty channel (like I did) throw a 12ay7 into V1. I tried it yesterday and it seemed to provide some string clarity and the gain knob on the dirt channel gets saturated at around 12 o'clock instead of the normal 10 o'clock position.

I'm excited to see what the Player's Series II looks like. I was told we would get more details in September.

skhan007

Is there a definitive answer to this question:

What years are “the Sampson era?”

From what I understand he left the company in 2001, so 2000 to 2001 would be his time in the company. Does the Sampson era extend to hose yeats that he was not with Bad Cat?

I’m told the very first prototypes were made for dealers in 2000 (very few in numbers).

Serialized production amps (numbers 21xx) started in 2001. Matchless branded parts were used well beyond these years (some 2005 examples have matchless branded parts).

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
Is there a definitive answer to this question:

What years are “the Sampson era?”

From what I understand he left the company in 2001, so 2000 to 2001 would be his time in the company. Does the Sampson era extend to hose yeats that he was not with Bad Cat?

I’m told the very first prototypes were made for dealers in 2000 (very few in numbers).

Serialized production amps (numbers 21xx) started in 2001. Matchless branded parts were used well beyond these years (some 2005 examples have matchless branded parts).
Bump! Very curious as well

Jschoi

Silver Supporting Member
I just stumbled across this article:

“Sampson went on to design amplifiers for Bad Cat, and in 2004 he began working on a new line of “Star” amplifiers.”

skhan007

That was a good read. I still think the question about the Sampson Era remains, however. I don't think the article addressed it. It did talk about his path in amp building with different brands. So the Sampson Era is either:

1. 2000-2001 when he was with Bad Cat

or

2. 2000-2004 when his original designs were still in use and Matchless-labeled parts were used

Really, at the end of the day, this is just a term for people to use when selling their early Bad Cat amps. I suppose it will justify whatever price premium they decide to add on to the sale price of the amp. These are awesome amps overall, regardless of what "era" we choose to call them. That's why I own more than one Bad Cat!!

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Really, at the end of the day, this is just a term for people to use when selling their early Bad Cat amps. I suppose it will justify whatever price premium they decide to add on to the sale price of the amp. These are awesome amps overall, regardless of what "era" we choose to call them. That's why I own more than one Bad Cat!!
+1

mixasix

Oh no, I´ve had a Hot Cat Players Series Lynx X for about 4 months, wonderful amp (!) No, haven´t you heard, there´s a brand new ¨reworked from the ground up with brand new features¨ Players Series II amps, soon to be announced (I hope!) Perhaps John or someone else in the know will be nice enough to toss us a bone about what to expect!

I have only heard amazing things about the Players series. Any info on why they felt it needed an upgrade or we just know info is TBA? Watching a youtube video I saw they had the new models at 2022 NAMM so I'd assume someone out there knows something.

vchizzle

Yeah, Hot Cat is like modded Marshall gain. Think cranked Plexi, but even more gain if you want it.

Now- it DOES have a "clean" channel. IDK about the older models pre-Kmaster, but todays' Hot Cat clean channel is not Fender BF crystal clean... it's more like a pushed a clean. You can get it pretty clean, but it's no Deluxe Reverb.
I’ve had 4 hot cats, all pre K-master, the clean channel has stayed pretty clean on all of them with humbuckers. Pretty loud too. It’s actually a beautiful clean channel on the old ones. I’ve not played one with the K-master.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had 4 hot cats, all pre K-master, the clean channel has stayed pretty clean on all of them with humbuckers. Pretty loud too. It’s actually a beautiful clean channel on the old ones. I’ve not played one with the K-master.
Well, the Hot Cat Players with the K-Master... if you raise the volume (gain) above 9:00, it's not totally clean anymore. I put a 12AY7 in V1 to get a little more clean out of that channel... I don't really use "totally clean" anyway, but it needed a little more headroom.

"Pushed clean"- yes; my clean channel basically sounds like my PRRI (with 12"), but has a tad more mids and sounds bigger overall due to the bigger cab. Like a "Fat" Princeton BF.

jerVic

Does anyone have a tube chart for a Player Series Cub 15R? Much appreciated if someone could pass one along to me.

BelgPJ

Does anyone have a tube chart for a Player Series Cub 15R? Much appreciated if someone could pass one along to me.
I was looking for one with assigned tube duties for the Cub IVR Handwired, but could only get the Cub III layout

If the Player Series follows a similar format (without tube driven reverb), V3 probably controls the tone stack in either EF86 (V1) or 12ax7 (V2) mode, and V4 (central position between tranny and choke) is usually the PI

But don't quote me ..

jerVic

I was looking for one with assigned tube duties for the Cub IVR Handwired, but could only get the Cub III layout

If the Player Series follows a similar format (without tube driven reverb), V3 probably controls the tone stack in either EF86 (V1) or 12ax7 (V2) mode, and V4 (central position between tranny and choke) is usually the PI

But don't quote me ..

Thanks! It was mainly the position of the EF86 tube that I needed to know. I ended up talking to John at Bad Cat, and he set me straight.

I'm hoping if there's a Series II of the Players series, that they fix the effects loop with a proper tube buffered effects loop. That'd be fantastic.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
I'm hoping if there's a Series II of the Players series, that they fix the effects loop with a proper tube buffered effects loop. That'd be fantastic.
Agreed... that would be awesome, and would also piss me off, being a Series 1 owner. How anyone can make a useless effects loop in today's market, I have no idea... Amps at this level, if they have a loop, it should not be an afterthought.

My Supersonic 22 (which was cheaper, BTW) has a GREAT effects loop....

Last edited:

Tonemonster

Sorry next question....

If i plug in a extension Cab with 8ohm and use the internal Speaker (8ohm) together, 4 or 16 ohm? At which Position stays the switch? Are the Speakerjacks series or parallel?

dmc777

Does Bad Cat just not answers emails? I’ve tried contacting them several times regarding their amps but have never gotten a reply.

Finally broke down and purchased a Cub 40r and would like to know the tube layout and couple other questions

brian_ward

Does Bad Cat just not answers emails? I’ve tried contacting them several times regarding their amps but have never gotten a reply.

Finally broke down and purchased a Cub 40r and would like to know the tube layout and couple other questions
ive had excellent luck calling. email has been so-so (at best)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom