1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. Artie G

Artie G Member

I noticed yesterday that the 5 way tone selector has a little slack before it clicks to the next setting. Sunday it was stiff with no slack. Does any one know what I need to do to eliminate the slack?

2. travis_38

travis_38 Supporting Member

Sounds like a loose set-screw maybe?

3. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Curious, how is the Lynx compared to the Matchless Indy?

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

My perception, in brief:

INDE
    does it's thing and does it well. High gain Matchless type tone. ( compared to other Matchless, INDE channel 2 is similar to the Clubman or ch1 HC30. Clubman is a little bit more dynamic than the Inde.)

You can get metal tones but they get very compressed almost fizz with bass cranked. Bass from 4:00 to 5:00 massively scoops and alters the tonal structure way more than 8:00 to 4:00 : big jump in tone change.

Ch 3 has a tad more gain that ch 2 if you dime both. But leaving ch 2 at lower gain setting gives more versatility if you want three channels to choose from.

LYNX
    Hot-rodded Marshall.
    Reminds of my old BE100 and Cameron Atomica (build by Friedman) but more versatile. The regular MID control doesn't do much but the MID BOOST is actually a rotary clicker which massively affects the tone from classic Marshall to more scooped. It's more of a semi-parametric control than a boost, IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    skhan007, sickboy79 and neville5000 like this.
  5. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Bad Cat Cub III here. I am an EF86 junkie. After gigging with a Matchless DC30 and SC30, I wanted to try out a Bad Cat. And I tried a few.

When the Cub III debuted with all the preamp configuring options, I couldn't wait. Man, what an great amp. And no amp comes close to what that K-Master can do. I can learn tunes with the same tone as I'll use on stage. The volume level changes, not the tone.

With 5 amps here, the Cub III is the only one I am using now. GREAT!

sickboy79 likes this.
  6. eyeamtheggman

eyeamtheggman Member

Did this ever come in? Pics!

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

This. I had this on my one of my amps. Just had to tighten up the set-screw on the chicken head knob. Done.

8. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

My experience too.

I have a Bad Cat Cub III 15R which is the first Voxy amp I've owned that doesn't have a limited volume sweet spot (and I've played dozens of others). I tried out my stash of 28 EF86s (EF86 being the reason I bought the amp) and settled on a Westinghouse that sounds glorious (together with Mullards in the other slots). I experimented with other speakers (Blue, Gold, Scumbacks) but prefer the stock speaker.

I also have a Classic Deluxe (US handwired) that I pair it with. Similar story on tube swaps, and this time I also swapped the speaker for a Jensen Jet Alnico which I like in this style of BF amp. I can't help wondering though what the amp would sound like with a pine cab?

I had to tweak the voltages for UK use: the Classic Deluxe needed a different tap on the transformer (an easy adjustment), and for the Cub I had to have a custom step down transformer made to bring the supply voltage down from 240V to 234V (the amp was designed with a 117/234V power transformer).

These are fabulous amps, and John and his guys were great to deal with.

9. hacinador

hacinador Member

There is no difference between 234 a 240V. In UK there can be from about 215 to 255V, every net in every part of town is different. It's nonsense to use a step down transformer for a reduction of 6V.

10. Lwilliams

Lwilliams Supporting Member

Being an EF86 junkie, I too have a stash of them. My favorite is the old Amperex Bugle Boy. I have scavenged a about 20 of them so far.

Tube Guy likes this.
  11. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

Since this is the official Bad Cat thread; does anyone know which Bad Cat amp Green Day used and maybe on which recordings? I email the company and never got a response. I’m curious which Bad Cat would get a good rock tone.

12. Tube Guy

So, if I can discern a difference in tone from a half volt change, why would 6V be nonsense?

13. Tube Guy

Those are great tubes, I wish I had a few. Mine are mostly run of the mill random NOS tubes, plus a few nice Mulllards and RCAs.

14. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

Surprising you didn't get an answer! It was the lynx 50 I'm pretty sure. There was one on reverb actually built for green day a few weeks ago, might still be there.

New lynx 50's also happen to be 20% off this week.

Edit: https://reverb.com/item/9794457-bad-cat-lynx-50-combo-2006

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. hacinador

hacinador Member

So sad your amp must be so different in every single place...

16. Tube Guy

No need for sadness, I run a fixed 240V supply to my amps - so no more ‘amp sounds off today’ just my playing that wanders.

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I remember reading that somewhere too. Lynx. As far as getting a good rock tone from Bad Cats - they all do! Just depends on your definition of a "rock" tone. The Hot Cat 30 is also one to consider.

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  18. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Yes. I posted it somewhere but I'll a pic here when I get home. I'm on vacation till thurs.

19. Wesman61

Wesman61 Member

Remembered I had it on imgur.

Fishyfishfish and travis_38 like this.
  20. Artie G

Artie G Member

Does any one know which tube slot is the phase inverter on a first model Judah? It has 3 tubes in a row (12ax7, 12ax7, EF86) then one 12ax7 to the far right by itself.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018