1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...7197843e46b/1510591099401/Judah_TubeChart.pdf

From Bad Cat's site. Should be the one right in front of the 6v6s. Or, if the amp has reverb - could be the driver tube. If that's the case, the PI is the one to the left of the EF86 in the drawing. Try swapping both and see what your ears hear.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. Artie G

Artie G Member

Thanks SickBoy79 for responding. I have the version before this tube chart no reverb and without the 12ax7 in front of the 6v6s. So it only has the first line of preamp tubes. You think its (closest to input) V1 12ax7 V2 12ax7 v3 EF86 and the tube closed to the choke V4 12at7?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    sickboy79 likes this.
  3. Slevin

Slevin Member

[​IMG]

Still rocking my cub iii after two years. Down to my only amp now.

sickboy79, nickthenail, JVJ and 3 others like this.
  4. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

Got a Bad Cat Cub 40 player series, and I'm a ridiculously happy camper, with one exception - it seems a tad noisy. I have an AB switch, so I set up my DRRI to compare. The cub is everything I wanted tone-wise, but if I do my best to match tone and volume between the two, there's definitely some extra hum and buzz going on in the cat. I've isolated it to the amp itself by muting the input with a tuner and tried a few different cables, and the DRRI and Cub are in the same surge protector. Anyone have troubleshooting suggestions?

Not at all trying to air grievances, this thing is on another level compared to the DRRI. I've just already blown up John's inbox enough that I'd feel rude asking him for anything else :D

Edit: lmao please disregard. The problem was twofold: the extra treble in this amp helped me hear pedalboard problems I never knew I had, and a tube went microphonic in shipping. Now to figure out which one!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    Fishyfishfish likes this.
  5. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Bad Cat Cabinet info...wondering the difference in the LG 1x12 and the standard 1x12 cabs, besides 30 bucks.Thanks in advance!

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Just spoke to John on the phone regarding my Cub III 15R combo order, as I’m in month three of my wait.

Amp is on the way soon, but according to him, they’ve been reworked/laid out to be even quieter... What will ship will be a Cub IV.

I should’ve pressed for more detail about new features, etc., but I’m sure he was busy as am I, so I ended the call.

Interested to see what’s going to show up....

EDIT: Per John, I shot an email over to Erik in production there, re: one of my Tolex choices and also asked him if he knew any more about the Cub IV. We shall see...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    strike3 and TheThirdChild like this.
  7. Slevin

Slevin Member

Large are for the old school head shells. The standard is for all new bad cat amps made in the smaller head cabs which have been standard since John took over

8. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Thank for the info!

9. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Thinking about getting an Unleash, so I can have an effects loop for my Hot Cat (no loop, no reverb). Should be cool!

10. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I have the same amp, except it's a 1x12 combo. I use it with a closed back 2x10 loaded with greenbacks. It's an unbelievable amp.

I would try the clean channel. If you're in a large room try cranking it up. If that doesn't work just use a pedal.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

V4 is probably the PI. Not sure if that 12at7 is stock. Try it with a 12AX7 too. May give you more drive if you are after that.

12. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Ok, so Erik from Badcat emailed me back with the scoop on the new Cub IV. Here’s what he said:

“And yes the new Cub IV’s have an updated layout that allows the amp to run more efficiently and quietly. The main difference is that the tone selector is now always active. This allows you to dial in your low end to better accommodate single coil or humbuckers.”

13. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

Anyone have tube recommendations for the cathode follower stage in a cub? I swear my Tung Sol reissue sounds better there than the stock Chinese tube, but it gets super hot and people say not to use them in that spot.

I have an old GE 12at7 I love for PI duty in my tweaker, but can't find much literature on using a 12at7 in the cathode follower stage.

The amp sounds near identical regardless of what I put in V1, which is odd to me. I guess it's a strong circuit.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've got a large Bad Cat 1x12. It's a HUGE sounding cab. Highly recommended.

Slotunes likes this.
  15. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

First post in this thread and BC cab related. I found a great deal on a recent, used BC 1x12 cab. I was expecting the first class construction but was completely surprised by how much I liked the speaker. I play 99% clean jazz and surf so I figured I would have to flip the stock Celestion speaker almost immediately but it is a wonderful speaker and a keeper. Based on my experience with the 1x12, I just bought an 03 2x12 cab which appears to have the earliest "massaged V-30" speakers. Fingers crossed that I'm as pleasantly surprised with the ones in the 2x12.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  16. Artie G

Artie G Member

Anyone know which 12ax7 slot is dedicated to Ch1 in a Judah? Ch1 (12ax7 side) sounded distorted when I pushed it with my drives and has never done that before. Ch2 EF86 side sounded fine when pushed with drives. I'm thinking its a tube going bad? From left to right input side has 12ax7, 12ax7, EF86, in a row and a 12at7 alone.

17. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Try swapping the one of the far left.

18. oansun

oansun Member

@jbt7764 Hey, on your Tone Talk episode you mentioned a Hot Cat USA Player's Series for January. What's the scoop on specs and prices?

19. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

We are in fact working on the Players series Hot Cat. Small changes being made. The amp is going to have the Hot Cat Clean Channel , Vol, Bass, Treb, K Master and Reverb. However,
    The Dirty channel is going to be the dirty channel of the Lynx. It is going to be a flame-thrower.
    Price has yet to be determined but it will be on par with the other Player Series Amps.
    John

20. Mr.Strat

Mr.Strat Member

That was a cool Tone Talk interview, I enjoyed watching it :dude

You mentioned that when you took stock of all of the BadCat models (pre-2011) you distilled them them down to roughly 4 circuits. I have loved the Panther sound since I ordered it from you guys back in 2011. Which of your modern circuits offered today loosely/roughly tracks the Panther circuit? Would love to look into it and order one.