The Official BAD CAT Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by your name here, May 27, 2018.

1. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Agreed! Thanks for doing it, John!

2. oansun

oansun Member

Oh hot damn sounds amazing

3. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Currently rocking a Black Cat 40, but have also had a custom Cub III, a Sampson era Black Cat 30, and a current Black Cat 30r (which @travis_38 now owns).

I have a Matchless HC30 which has been my main amp (and my desert island amp) for the past 5 years. The Black Cat 40 fits the bill as the accompaniment to to the HC30. The EL34 power section gives it more headroom, but more importantly (to me) provides a bit more low-end grunt than the HC30. I use the EF86 channel, and click-tone knob almost exclusively.

Lately I've been using it with my Kemper (using a profile of my HC30) and it sounds amazing.
    [​IMG]

oansun, burns, He_Ma and 1 other person like this.
  4. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

She’s very naughty :D:D:D

your name here likes this.
  5. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

Played with “the black rig” every day until I moved it , but never once touched “the white rig” (fender/Vox) that was on the opposite side of the room ...

Guess I know which tones she prefers :D:D

your name here likes this.
  6. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I figured I'd ask this here; how's the Player's Series take pedals in the loop? I was looking at the Cub IV, but with the Hot Cat imminent, that's more up my alley.

7. Wooders

Wooders Member

My Cub iii has a pretty annoying ringing/rattle when you begin to turn it up - I think it's more inherent on low g or b. Any ideas? I've changed the EF86 a couple of times to experiment more so with sound (currently a winged C in it) not sure if there are any solutions other than buying several more in the hope that one doesn't do it (which might not even pay off!). Are there any that work better than others - I bought the winged C with the advice that they are well suited! Cheers!

8. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Assuming it is the EF86 (I’m guessing it doesn’t happen with the 12AX7), have you tried silicon tube rings, those should fix it for you.

9. Wooders

Wooders Member

Come to think of it I think it did it on both (but will have to check) - I do have silicone rings on them all (I think!). Might be a stupid question but can the EF86 still rattle even with the 12AX7 engaged or is it a sign of something else?

10. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

It's possible. Ussually the dampner rings help a lot but, you might just have a really noisy/microphonic one. I'd try another one.

11. TheThirdChild

TheThirdChild Member

Do you have any extension cabs you can plug in instead of the main speaker? Mine is microphonic both on 12ax7 and ef86, but it goes away when using a separate cab. It would help isolate the issue as either mechanical/vibration or electrical.

12. StevieShiner

StevieShiner Member

Hey Gang,

I'm trying to figure out the Input Trim knob on my new Unleash v2. Aside from the LED going from off to blinking to on while sweeping the knob, I'm not hearing much difference. I was expecting volume jumps or increases in saturation. What is the best practice use for the Input Trim knob and what is it's purpose?

Thanks,
    Steve

13. Paratrooper

Paratrooper Member

In my understanding the input trim should make sure that sufficient signal is available. I adjust it so that just very softly played strings do not make the LED light.

StevieShiner likes this.
  14. StevieShiner

StevieShiner Member

Thank you Paratrooper!

15. jchan

jchan Member

I have a badcat 1x12 cab. Anyone have an idea on how I can get a light kit for the logo and how it would be powered? I believe the combo and separate head/cab configs are powered from the head. How would I power the light kit if not using a bad cat head?

16. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've never seen a Bad Cat cab with the light up logo. Just the heads and combos. In fact, I don't think there is the cut-out underneath the Bad Cat logo on their cabs. I'll have to check my 1x12 to be sure but, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have one.

17. jchan

jchan Member

The bad cat 1x12 extension cab I recently purchased has the cutout for the light kit built in, however, no electronics.

18. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

We can send you the parts to do it. It can run off of a switching jack on the speaker input that engages a 9v battery and lights up the light bar.