The "official" color combination(s) thread!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by markom89, Jan 7, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

This is the thread where we can all come and talk about our favourite color combinations for our favourite guitars. Seek advice from others on the topic, etc...

I'm gonna' start the thread by asking which of the following 5 combinations you guys think would work best for a strat.

1) Fiesta Red strat w/birdseye maple neck (or regular maple) and brazilian rosewood fingerboard w/clay dots. Mint green guard, cream pickup covers & knobs, etc... either gold or chrome hardware. Maybe aged pickguard?

2) Gold sparkle strat w/very high figure birdseye maple neck & brazilian board, white/perloid inlays, mintgreen guard, cream covers on pups, knobs, etc... and chrome or gold harware. Also maybe aged pickguard?

3) Blonde (aged blonde) strat w/maple neck, brazilian board, matching blonde headstock, white inlays, tortoise pickguard w/ white/cream knobs & pup covers, chrome hardware.

4) 2 tone sunburst strat w/all maple neck (skunk stripe), "classic" black dot inlays, vintage tint on neck, white pickguard, light cream colored knobs and pickup covers, gold or chrome hardware.

5) Blonde strat w/ all maple neck (skunk stripe), "classic" black dot inlays, vintage tint neck, white pickguard, cream knobs and pickup covers, gold or chrome hardware.

Your input is appreciate :)

Also, what do you all feel is the best combination of colors for a tele???

Cheers.

Marko M.

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

3. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

I'll bite... first, before you order Fiesta Red, make sure you've seen it. It sounds like you're building a partsocaster, and that means you'd be dealing with unfaded Fiesta Red. The best description I heard of the color is "tomato soup".

I never thought I'd like a gold-sparkle Strat until I saw Joe Bonnemassa's in a video... pretty cool.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

This is probably what I want for the coming strat project.

Strat body with shaper edge with cream binding.

Gold metal flake top, solid or mary kaye cream side and back.

Big reversed CBS headstock, 5A flame maple neck with 5A flame maple board, paua shell dots.

Chrome hardward, Detemple brown celluloid pickguard, parchment pickup covers and knobs, white tele tophat 5 way switch tip, flame maple trem arm tip.

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

All I have to say is that pale maple necks are hideous, while tinted maple necks are the most beautiful thing created.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I agree...
    I can't stand pale maple necks.
    Tint/vintage tint is were it's at.

7. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

What about somewhere in the middle? That's what I like.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

yeah... that's cool! I think my wildwood strat is "somewhere in the middle". Check the headstock, and tell me if it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

oh, and RvChevron... I think that project strat sounds like it'd come out really cool... I'm just having a hard time imaging it!

I'm going for a very classic, 60's look, and am aiming towards fiesta red, but nobody seems to like that color except for me. wtf? :D I know, I know, I shouldn't care what others think, but this would be my "show off" guitar, lol!

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

I wanted this '82 V-neck Fiesta Red so bad you have no idea. If I didn't work 10 miles from home I would have sold my car to buy it. It wasn't even that expensive really, $3,000. But, that may as well be $30,000 to me. Anyway, drool away:

[​IMG]

11. PFCG

PFCG Member

No too much of a fan of the tint, only if its very light. I very much like the pale/while color of unfinished maple with some light oil.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I like the Dark bodied Gibson LPs with the cream pickgards.

Heritage Cherry SGs with black is nice.

Any Cherry kind of burst LP is great .... I like cherryburst the best.

Any kind of burst Strat is nice. Black pickgards and PU covers on a strat is a different combo !

13. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

For my Tyler Buring Water SE with the black/white/black pickguard, I really really like using mint green pickup covers for the neck and mid single coils, and a chrome covered bridge humbucker.

It looks kinda evil in a good way with the mint green. Goes really well with the BW finish.

14. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

I like your idea, but I'm not a huge fan of Fiesta Red either, although the Hank Marvin connection is cool. (The Shadows guitarist played a Fiesta strat that's one of the most famous of custom color Fenders)
    I tend to like light to medium colors best on Strats because of the way they enhance the contours of the guitar--hence Ice Blue over Lake Placid Blue, for example, or Shoreline Gold over Firemist.

Some of the colors I like a lot on a Strat:

Daphne Blue
    Ice Blue Metallic
    Shoreline Gold
    Inca Silver
    Burgundy Mist
    Dakota Red

Here's an aged Daphne Blue strat by Mark Jenny who did the same color on my Strat as well as aged Ice Blue Metallic on a tele. Mark does marvelous relic paint work if you need someone to finish a body or neck.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a few vintage custom color strats at Dave's Guitars.
    http://www.davesguitar.com/product/productcol.html

best
    Allen

15. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I've always liked candy apple red on a Strat with a rosewood board.
    [​IMG]

16. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Black Tele, double bound in white with a white/black/white pickguard. It's simple but elegant.

[​IMG]

17. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

THAT IS nice!

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've also been thinking about a nice candy apple red w/rosewood board, tinted neck, mint green guard, and basically the same stuff as the other guitars I mentioned... also, sherwood green don't look too bad, either.
    There are soooo many different strats that I'd like to build, but too little $$$!!! :(

oh... and that's a very nice tele you've got there :D
    My next tele build I'd like to build something like that...

19. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

Vintage white, rosewood fb, mint pickguard. Like this, but without the CBS headstock.

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

20. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I've always wanted an Emerald Green Metallic or green shmear, Rosewood board Strat with a Red Tortoise shell pickguard and some white pickup covers.

Everytime I see a candy green or emerald green guitar I become like a Rabbit in headlights.