The Official Cunetto Relic Thread

telesquire

Photobucket can suck it...bummer I don't have the time to repost everything in the order they were acquired but...here's the end result
Clockwise from the top:
Surf/Seafoam Green
Fiesta Red
50's 2T sunburst
60's 3T sunburst (my #1, sounds the best)
Lake Placid Blue
Burgundy Mist
Shoreline Gold
Sonic Blue (my #2) w/ nickel hardware (rare - most custom colour guitars had gold hardware)
Mary Kaye

My 'nocaster (my first Cunetto purchase, brand new in '97) is missing from this shot
GBKtCxi.jpg

Still plenty needed to complete the set too.....Fiesta red 50's Strat Platinum Dealer.......Sunburst Nocaster PD-3.....60's Oly White.......50's blonde not gold hardware for Arbiter UK, black Nocaster....then there's all the custom colour 60's Teles and on and on...oh and the Esquire! ;)

GentleTopHat

You still need the XXX/200 Aztec Gold Strat with the leather gig bag and road case...

Hey JM do you know if the gigbag comes reliced too or is it "new"? Im looking into buying that 50th aztec one but it seems like the gigbag is reliced, not sure if its origin or real wear, the guy says the guitar is new, unplayed

Thanks

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
My original post was blown up by PhotoSuckIt, so I would like to re-submit my Cunetto...sorry if this has been posted before. I purchased this guitar brand new from Sam Ash music in New Haven, Ct...the whole concept of a "relic" was just starting. I thought it was an old guitar at first until they told me it was some "new" thing Fender was doing. It's just a great guitar with an intensely flamed neck..December of 96 on the neck and a Feb 97 certificate.

gtrmdyi.jpg

GentleTopHat

Mine is newer looking than the one you posted...

But is it coming with a relicing when "new"? Did the CS reliced the case and softshell of the 50th diamond dealer cunetto or were they in "NOS" condition. The one im looking at looks reliced with few scuff but the owner says its like new so im not sure if its actualy like new or if its actualy well worn. I think he lost the certificate too so it kind of alot of little things that might come in play with the price.

JMintzer

Burned Out Mod
Okay, I just checked mine again. It's certainly not a smooth, new leather, but it's not scuffed or worn, either. It's got a nap to it, almost a suede, like slightly used leather jacket.

No marks or stains or scratches, but not like a new Levy's leather bag, either...

telesquire

Pretty certain they didn't RELIC cases in the Cunetto era.
A glut of Cunetto's just appeared on Reverb. Lazy seller listing them as 95's where there's no COA. Three look like the first of the 'in house' produced guitars from 1999. Just cos they have the imprinted logo doesn't mean they are strictly Cunetto. Need check the numbers in the neck pocket.

GentleTopHat

Okay, I just checked mine again. It's certainly not a smooth, new leather, but it's not scuffed or worn, either. It's got a nap to it, almost a suede, like slightly used leather jacket.

No marks or stains or scratches, but not like a new Levy's leather bag, either...
Thanks for the answer really appreciated

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
Picked up another one of these a while back and finally got around to taking a pic so thought to share with the thread. This ones from early '96 I believe and it's just a fantastic guitar...a Mary Kaye model with ash body and Maple board. The finish has yellowed a lot over the past 20 years...it's more butterscotch now than white blonde. The neck is a perfect soft V....it's been played quite a bit so it has a great worn-in feel. I put a single ply tortoise guard on it and other than that it's all original and sounds really good...I love the pickups they were using during this era..not really sure what they are but they have a great low output, articulate vintage tone that suits this particular guitar very well. Great guitars if you can find them priced right!

3zkBIDR.jpg

07qFwtP.jpg

jg2VCU3.jpg

Pa6XsyG.jpg

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I love the Cunetto MAry Kay strats. IMHO its the best post 1964 strat ever sold by Fender.
Too bad they are so pricey. Since I have alwyas wanted a good MAry Kay relic, but didnt want to pay the Cunetto $$$, I am embarking on building my own partscaster clone of a Cunetto relic.

67blackcherry

There’s a Tele Custom on Reverb, never seen one of those before.
It’s a 3 tone sunburst from ‘96, looks pretty sweet.

telesquire

Nice purple Cunetto. What month of 99 is it? Quite a few of these specials were actually done in house at the Custom Shop by Eldred and his team, and you'll find none of the tracking numbers associated with Vince and his team in the neck pocket. So whilst they are classed as Cunetto by the neck imprint logo on the headstock they aren't strictly so. I've had a few one-offs, even some that had lacquer checking like the later relics that were transitional. IS there a paint code under the pickguard too?

Top Bottom