The OFFICIAL Empress Superdelay Thread...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thisfire, May 19, 2008.

1. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

After a few days of anxiously waiting for my Empress Superdelay to arrive, I was delighted to find that the mailman had left me a treat this afternoon. Of course, it took me about 36.2 seconds to rip the box open, reveal a gem and plug it in: Empress Superdelay #002 (if you've seen any of the clips - search "Empress Superdelay" on YouTube - you know why). The first thing I noticed was that it's pretty small, at about 5.75" x 3.75" x 2". Perfect size for my board!

First impressions: The "tape" setting is probably the warmest digital delay I've ever heard. I put it head to head with my Aqua Puss and actually preferred the Superdelay for some applications (more definite repeats, but not QUITE as much analog warmth...I guess that's to be expected when you're comparing analog to digital).

Although Empress advertises it as a more eccentric delay (not for the faint of heart, you might say), I was pleasantly surprised to find that the basic setting are very intuitive and functional. The normal setting works pretty much like your basic Boss DD-5 or 6, with tap tempo of course. I was initially afraid that the repeats might sound digitized, with all of the digital complexity of the unit, but the worry was quickly put to rest. This thing sounds amazing.

I spent the next 45 minutes or so messing around with the presets. One preset - preset #4 I believe - utilizes the reverse mode, and it is an absolute BLAST to mess around with (check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPc7eZ9tb10 and forward to ~1:15...awesome, huh?) As I mentioned before, though this delay is both surprisingly intuitive and functional, it excels at getting crazy. Honestly, I've never heard such musical and unique repeats with some of the settings. The way it digitally arpeggiates with that preset is only the beginning :)

I didn't get a chance to mess around with a few of the settings (including the looper), but I'll definitely be spending more time with it in the days to come. It's pretty expensive as far as digital delays go, but it's definitely the nicest combination of analog interface and digital flexibility that I've ever seen/used...I don't think it will be bumping my Timefactor off my board, but I could definitely see some people preferring it GREATLY to the TF as far as simplicity and features go. As of now, it's already velcro'd on my main board next to my beloved Timefactor :AOK

If you tried out the Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai and were disappointed by the layout and sub-par sound quality (as I was), spend some time watching the videos on YouTube and start saving up. You won't be disappointed!

Everyone else who received theirs, chime in! More to come...

[​IMG]

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Ed,

Does this mean that you wanna' sell me your Aqua Puss for a good price? :)

3. thisfire

Bahaha! Nah, the only thing that sounds better than the Superdelay is the Aqua Puss going into the Superdelay ;)

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

:horse:mob:horse

5. Clorox

Clorox Member

Bump, I'd like to hear more about this awesome pedal :D

6. thisfire

I tried the looper out tonight and it's pretty awesome. It doesn't have the "repeat once" feature of the DL4, but you CAN use any of your delay presets while looping, unlike the DL4. On top of that, the loops sound great, there is no drop in volume, and you have a ton of control over the volume of the loop (anywhere from really quiet to well above unity).

I messed around with the "triplet" feature in Tap mode (and my King of Tone) and it's pretty awesome too. Anyone heard of U2?

7. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

That looks really cool.

My bank account is getting tired of all this spending!

8. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

So how many seconds long is the looper? Please include the different fidelity modes if it has them. Thanks.

9. besty

besty Member

What are people using to power this thing? That's the only thing that makes me hesitant...

10. Andre357

Andre357 Member

What does that small black footswitch do next to the Preset footswitch in the middle ??

11. Zillie

Zillie Member

saves presets

12. thisfire

If I remember correctly, the looper can do 7 seconds in high fidelity mode and 14 seconds in low fidelity (CD audio quality, still sounds awesome...I really couldn't hear a difference). I'll verify when I get back home.

EDIT: It's 6.8 and 13.6 seconds...close enough :)

13. trucks

trucks Member

I am very tempted by this one! How does it sound with od/distortion? Are you running in front of the amp or in a loop? Thanks!

14. thisfire

I'm running mine out front, and thus far I have noticed no breakup whatsoever. I've been using my KoT mostly (which can be fairly high-headroom) and it sounds like a dream. I'll try cranking it up a bit tonight and let you know how it goes.

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have been more and more interested in delay tones lately, but that one looks a like a bit too much for me to mess with. I like it simple when it comes to this stuff.

16. zonie

zonie Member

Just got mine in today too - serial #1! So, that was cool...

I haven't had a chance to check out everything either, but I agree the triplets are just there, it's so easy. I have had trouble tapping them on other units but with this sucker even dummies like me can do it. And the reverse is freaking me out too. In submode C it plays back the delayed note at twice the tempo speed creating that kind of dance party 2008 sound you all wanted so badly - it's actually really musical to my taste and a lot of fun. I also was a little disappointed with the SMMWH, but the Superdelay seems easier to operate actually while sounding and looking way better, not to mention offering tons more features. I sold that and a Malekko analog delay to buy this and I am really glad I did. You have to use your stimulus check for something...

Power supply is included for the guy asking about that.

I know it doesn't need to be said, but Steve at Empress is really helpful, easy to contact, and very friendly. I own the Trem too, and I will buy the next pedal they put out even if its like wah or chorus or something I don't personally care for too much. I am sure their version will change my mind.

17. Clorox

Clorox Member

So how's the normal delay sound? And is there more info on the Tape mode?

18. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

This pedal looks very promising!
    I'm a delay freak so its going to be very hard to resist.
    ]I really dig the clips so far and the layout.

So,

How long is the turn around as I didn't get on the "list"?

19. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Then you need a DMM my friend.

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member