The official Eric Johnson Strat Appreciation Thread

DakotaRed

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a blue one for several years. No, it's not a partscaster. I know someone that knows someone that... well, you get the idea.

The lacquer on the fretboard has been carefully sanded down, thank goodness.

I've been playing mostly Teles lately but this ain't going nowhere!

EDIT: does anyone remember the 3-tone sunburst version that Wildwood offered? I think they did a run of 100?

aleiberman

I just picked up one from the Chicago Music Exchange. I love it so far. It def played stiff, so i just put 9's on it and moved on. I def lost a little tone, but nothing i can't live without. The action is really low, doesn't fret out, and sounds like a great strat.

Any tips on finding the sweet spot for the pickups.

Thanks

Roe

I sent mine off to relic a little and remove the lacquer off the neck. They also put SS 6105's on her as well. Fralin blues special in the neck position. I played it a lot till I got my Dano... Now I'm thinking Lentz.. Might be selling the EJ.. Great strat.
image1.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image1.jpg
did it help much to remove the finish?

corbeano

Silver Supporting Member
did it help much to remove the finish?

Yes,,, it made a big difference... I have 11's on it now... I also put 6015 SS, which would of helped too, but the combo of removing the finish and adding a taller SS fret is the way this thing should be playing.. Double bends on 11's are not a prob

I love the guitar.... but IM going to sell for I would prefer a bigger neck. I will put up for sell today on Reverb.

Reactions: Roe

corbeano

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a blue one for several years. No, it's not a partscaster. I know someone that knows someone that... well, you get the idea.

The lacquer on the fretboard has been carefully sanded down, thank goodness.

I've been playing mostly Teles lately but this ain't going nowhere!

EDIT: does anyone remember the 3-tone sunburst version that Wildwood offered? I think they did a run of 100?
That is a pretty guitar..

Roe

thanks, I'm considering removing the finish on mine. Sofar I've only used steel wool to remove a little stickiness

corbeano

Silver Supporting Member
thanks, I'm considering removing the finish on mine. Sofar I've only used steel wool to remove a little stickiness
Its all about getting that stuff off the fretboard... so very nice.

Reactions: Roe

Cal Webway

Great Strat. But the quartersawn neck does play stiff. I've owned several over the years, and they were all this way. The nitro neck never bothered me. I actually really like it.

I hear alot about the 'stiff feel' of the neck, etc. on EJ's.
I think this is a huge asset. I do nutty multi string bends and want stability, big time.
(Decked trem probably contributes to this feel too).

Anyhoot, I certainly understand the preference for a 'looser' feel tho. Thanks!

DakotaRed

Silver Supporting Member
Cool pic! Here's my Lucerne Aqua Firemist (LOVE this color! :drool:bow) I picked up used about a month ago. Modded with a tort guard and aged plastics. Need to set up the trem so it stays in tune but that's easily remedied. This thing is a beast!

I've always wanted one in that color! I've played a couple but haven't found the right one yet.

My all-time favorite person EVER was my maternal grandmother. In all my memories of her, she had a '67-'68 Cadillac in the garage that looked a lot like this, minus the convertible option:

1968_cadillac_deville-pic-7042439286259659059-640x480.jpeg

Different light seems to really effect the way this color photographs, but the Lucerne Aqua/white combo of the EJ Strats has always reminded me of her.

One of these days…

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
I've always wanted one in that color! I've played a couple but haven't found the right one yet.

My all-time favorite person EVER was my maternal grandmother. In all my memories of her, she had a '67-'68 Cadillac in the garage that looked a lot like this, minus the convertible option:

1968_cadillac_deville-pic-7042439286259659059-640x480.jpeg

Different light seems to really effect the way this color photographs, but the Lucerne Aqua/white combo of the EJ Strats has always reminded me of her.

One of these days…

Love the car!! This Strat certainly harks back to that same vibe, especially with the original parchment pickguard and white plastics. And yes, the guitar usually will look more like Lake Placid Blue in most photos.

pokey

I have a white blonde with the solid maple neck from 2012. I really like it. Don't really feel the"stiffness" others feel. Like a previous poster said stiff is good. I have had guitars that I could do dive bombs with by pushing the neck foward...not a fan. I have not changed out the pickups, still on the fence about that- sounds good as is. Have some Fralin VH's that I could throw in there but I think that would be a sideways upgrade, but eventually they will probably get installed. I love the weight, it's perfect imo(mine is 7.47lbs.) and the neck is big and comfy. It is about as big as I think I care to go on a strat neck. Have a couple teles with Fat profiles(1" all the way up) and they only feel right to me cause they're a hair bit narrower. The EJ's are wired up like I like as well with the master volume and tone on neck and bridge, middle wide open.

Last edited:

The bear

Played a used one yesterday, I really liked the neck and sound of it. I want to play the thinline version now.

I got this one for a great deal 2 years ago; replaced the pickguard and Eric himself signed the headstock.
BC7yhfA.jpg

cC9saXR.jpg

Liked the neck so much I bought a rosewood one and put this number together with it:
e8k6ntR.jpg

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
My 2006 is the only Strat that I've really bonded with (I'm a Les Paul guy). I went through a half-dozen USA Standard Strats until I discovered the EJ.

I like the thicker neck and the flatter fretboard. I've never once thought about the neck being sticky, but on the other hand, I'm use to playing Gibson's with a nitro finish, so it feels normal to me.

The only change that I've made to mine is that I made a new pickguard with the volume knob positioned farther from the bridge pickup because I'm always bumping the damn thing when its in the normal Strat position.

k3itEnL.jpg

4dqNkzr.jpg

The bear

My 2006 is the only Strat that I've really bonded with (I'm a Les Paul guy). I went through a half-dozen USA Standard Strats until I discovered the EJ.

I like the thicker neck and the flatter fretboard. I've never once thought about the neck being sticky, but on the other hand, I'm use to playing Gibson's with a nitro finish, so it feels normal to me.

The only change that I've made to mine is that I made a new pickguard with the volume knob positioned farther from the bridge pickup because I'm always bumping the damn thing when its in the normal Strat position.

k3itEnL.jpg

4dqNkzr.jpg
That's a beautiful strat. I loved the neck on the one I tried.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
HA! I just put mine down. I don't think I have tried better than mine. Mine is supposed to be from an early good run. I was stiff, but I put on 9's. Mine is not V, its a nice round back. Best guitar at the price point for sure.I'd have to jump to custom shop to see improvements. EJ is Fenders best kept secret. Might be going soon.
Remember when I wrote this and said might be going soon? It is and will not be leaving. THe amazing thing about it is its quintessential strat sound. It sounds dam good.

M

Member 214873

New bump, EJ strat fan for sure, I’ve owned one since ‘07, just bought a mint ‘06, I think the early ones are special. I owned many 50-60s vintage strats and the EJ’s can hang and they stay in tune. Mine breathes through a new Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature, it will keep you honest! Great value , reccomend buy any early one you can.Play on.....

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
I have the thinline, and it's really cool guitar.
I am going to swap the stock pups for Fralins, (My faves) but the stock ones are not bad at all. Very nice guitar over all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom