The official Eric Johnson Strat Appreciation Thread

nlopez

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 2006 Sunburst. I love mine! I agree with all the positives above and add that it has the most stable tremolo I have ever used!

sideburns

I sent mine off to relic a little and remove the lacquer off the neck. They also put SS 6105's on her as well. Fralin blues special in the neck position. I played it a lot till I got my Dano... Now I'm thinking Lentz.. Might be selling the EJ.. Great strat.
image1.jpg
image3.jpg
image4.jpg
image1.jpg
Do you still have this guitar?

zygoat

Silver Supporting Member
I love mine, going on 3 or so years of use. I thought it felt stiff at first but it just makes me work a little harder and thus play a bit differently which I think is a good thing for each guitar. I go back and forth between setting it up with 5 springs/"decked" and 4 springs with some float. Best stock strat pickups I've come across. It feels solid as a rock and the thin skin outer coat of finish has worn nicely with some cool chipping. I hope that in another 20 years it will look even more badass and worn out.

LeeRob

Silver Supporting Member
06 club here! Been wanted one for a while and picked this up off CL last week. Love the neck, a little sticky but overall seems like a very solid build. Came strung with 9's and think I may stick with em, I like the feel. Don't know how if sounds yet as the pots are seized so I have a new harness coming in this week, can't wait the hear this puppy.

View media item 295676

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Not sure how I missed this one, but my EJ is my favorite guitar. 2009 sunburst maple.

Yeah, same here. I love my Les Paul, but I've always been a Strat guy at heart. My sunburst EJ (Dec. '05 neck, Jan. '06 body) is my favorite guitar as well, though mine is not in as good condition as yours. It stays out to grab whenever the opportunity to play presents itself, and I often just put it in the back seat (no case or gigbag) when we travel. It has some chips, dings, checks, etc. Feels like an old comfortable pair of shoes. I need to get some pics up.

No mods, and original pickups which I like, but most of my Strat playing is on the cleaner side of the spectrum. The Les Paul is better suited for the hard stuff. I would like to change the pickguard to a pure white, like the '50s Strats but that is only for looks. Due for a fret dressing soon so I'll have my guy change it then.

Roe

I got a 2006 maple EJ. It sounds good but the neck was stiff and sticky. I've used a little steel wool and got it refreted with 57110Ss and setup with light strings (NYXL 9-11.5-15-22-30-40) and three springs. I won't sell it now. the playability is finally good and the sound is much the same as it was, perhaps a little better
Update: I removed the lacquer and added gunstock oil. This is it for me

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
I really hope I can snag a Virginia before they stop making them and the price jacks up. A ‘54 reissue with a 12” radius and jumbo frets? Yes, PLEASE!

Shreve

Katzenjammer Kid
Platinum Supporting Member
I really hope I can snag a Virginia before they stop making them and the price jacks up. A ‘54 reissue with a 12” radius and jumbo frets? Yes, PLEASE!

Not trying to “rub it in,” but mine has rarely seen its case since I got it. Feels and sounds so right to me, and I‘ve gone through a boatload of Strats over the years. :crazy

wQPv5z7.jpg

RevDrucifer

Gold Supporting Member
Not trying to “rub it in,” but mine has rarely seen its case since I got it. Feels and sounds so right to me, and I‘ve gone through a boatload of Strats over the years. :crazy

wQPv5z7.jpg

That's not rubbing it in, it's sharing the beauty!!!!! Oh I love that guitar!

blong

I've always wanted one in that color! I've played a couple but haven't found the right one yet.

My all-time favorite person EVER was my maternal grandmother. In all my memories of her, she had a '67-'68 Cadillac in the garage that looked a lot like this, minus the convertible option:

1968_cadillac_deville-pic-7042439286259659059-640x480.jpeg

Different light seems to really effect the way this color photographs, but the Lucerne Aqua/white combo of the EJ Strats has always reminded me of her.

One of these days…
Not an EJ, which I do have in 2 tone, but the color...I have had this since about 84.

dpBMaw5.jpg

I have since removed the pickguard.

Bob

robertkoa

To me, they seem to be on the level of the Fender custom shop offerings and are an amazing guitar for the money.

I have two of them and really want to trim things down and sell one, but I love both of them. I like the features as in the quarter sawn, V profile neck and 12" radius, the specific EJ approved pups, the staggered tuners with no string tree and the 2 piece Alder lacquer painted body. Mine are the earlier maple neck style with maple slab fretboards. One is a two color burst and the other a blackie. Each guitar has it's unique tone ... a little bit different EQ if you will.... but both very resonant and fun to play.

What are the favorite EJ strats that you've played or own / owned?

I don't even like most Strats and think they are overrated BUT the EJs I played a very very early one with that pronounced V shape very noticeably to C at fret 5 to 7 kind of odd but light as a feather and sounded great.

The later ones were heavier bodies and darker toned and liked them even better the Maple was more even all along the neck in shape .

The Rosewood was super cool sounding too .

Very easy to pull excellent tones right off these guitars with no mods and 12 inch radius makes it feel more at home than Fender Strats normally do .
Larger true medium jumbos would really put these over the top .

But - people seem to struggle to find a 'good ' Strat - with these it's almost hard to find a bad one or even a mediocre one .

Excellent Guitars maybe even great...never owned one but my favorite Fender Guitars by far.

Last edited:

robertkoa

My EJ, a birthday gift from my wife, and my 1956 Strat:

8VleU5m.jpg

Bob

Hard question to admit - which one has better Tones for recording ?

Bet it's close right ?

They will never get more natural beautiful subtle relicing than the real thing...

Beautiful photo .

Trending Topics

Top Bottom