The Official Fender Mustang GTX Amp Thread (2020)

Dimitri F.

Hope fender learns from this in the next amp like this.
if they continue with a "crippled" series, a new one will be of little benefit.
I will be clearer although it has been said already: I want a chain of up to 12 effects (including secondary things like the volume pedal and noise gate of course) not one less, in any condition with any amp model. And of course all the problems reported so far will have to be fixed and the various features improved. Then all your other ideas are just as great but in an all-in-one solution a limited chain is nonsense.

FrankHarv

Dimitri, it just all comes down to money. "They won't do that" with a new rollout that costs around $500 to $600.

They "could" do that though, around $800 on up, maybe $1000 and up range, as, the processor to do 12 effects is expensive. You're looking at a Helix, plus cabinet, power amp, speaker. But, that would be my wish, that they do invest in DSP, at whatever price it has to be, and with full MIDI. And with a head version.

PS, "an all-in-one solution a limited chain is nonsense", well maybe for you. MOST players wouldn't need more than say 8. MOST. That's a fact. I got it you want more. Again, comes down to money. And so far, Fender has gone for the "mainstream" market, not the most extreme end of the market so to speak. One other point, "number of effects" available is one end of the wish list, "how great the amp models are" and the DSP which that takes up, is another factor in the mix of things. They can't sacrifice amp model quality, to satisfy "12 effects, no less..." And, again, maybe slanted by "your needs", you downplay the benefit of a much improved pedal (re: bank down in particular), and with having MIDI. I'd pay to have that right now, even with no further DSP upgrade aspects.

Last edited:

mycroftxxx

Silver Supporting Member
I want a chain of up to 12 effects (including secondary things like the volume pedal and noise gate of course) not one less, in any condition with any amp model.
how’s it feel to want? ;)

seriously, maybe you’re expecting a tad much for a $500 all- in-one modeler from Fender, at least in 2021. And maybe I’m Mr. Minimal, but two effects pre-amp and two post-amp are fine for me. And you can always take advantage of the effects loop with outboard gear.

also seriously, it seems clear that Fender doesn’t yet want to compete in the high end (Fractal, Helix, etc.) modeling game, and maybe never will. And I don’t think anybody really offers what you’re asking for in a $500 all-in-one.

Dimitri F.

Dimitri, it just all comes down to money. "They won't do that" with a new rollout that costs around $500 to $600.

They "could" do that though, around $800 on up, maybe $1000 and up range, as, the processor to do 12 effects is expensive. You're looking at a Helix, plus cabinet, power amp, speaker. But, that would be my wish, that they do invest in DSP, at whatever price it has to be, and with full MIDI. And with a head version.

PS, "an all-in-one solution a limited chain is nonsense", well maybe for you. MOST players wouldn't need more than say 8. MOST. That's a fact. I got it you want more. Again, comes down to money. And so far, Fender has gone for the "mainstream" market, not the most extreme end of the market so to speak. One other point, "number of effects" available is one end of the wish list, "how great the amp models are" and the DSP which that takes up, is another factor in the mix of things. They can't sacrifice amp model quality, to satisfy "12 effects, no less..." And, again, maybe slanted by "your needs", you downplay the benefit of a much improved pedal (re: bank down in particular), and with having MIDI. I'd pay to have that right now, even with no further DSP upgrade aspects.
Probably I too would not need more than 7/8 main effects, I abounded, as they say, in the more there is also the less, i like to experiment at the need, however mine wanted to be a sort of "provocation": I mean they started with only 4 effects in the first series, they switched to up to 6 effects (and under certain conditions) after several years ... therefore to arrive at a chain of standard length like on a Headrush (I was not thinking of Line6 Helix or others with more complex and long chains ) of this step will take as many years. In addition, the Fender integrative multi-effects pedal board that we thought might be a great idea, it could just as well be a solution to make up for a chain that is not long enough. If it is made and produced. At that point, however, the extra money spent on quality multi-effects could be spent on the all-in-one "enhanced" series amplifier solution for those who find it more practical for transportation etc. For those who need less a standard version of the same series would be the usual solution. Doesn't Boss / Roland do something like this with various series / price range of their amps / multi-effects?

Last edited:

dnkrmb

I've had my GTX 50 for 6 months now. Excellent amp, love the plugins. I did have an issue with Arris router from AT&T cutting out the volume. Sometimes my phone fails to detect the amp, but if you force unpair through the amp, or cleanly disconnect through the Fender Tone amp before shutting the amp down it works fine.

USB audio interface is unusable - has gain and clipping issues.

But whose idea was it to route the AUX through the XLR output?! I'm trying to record my guitar track, not everything going in the amp! Any official Fender contact here? I would suggest to not do this by default or have an option to disable it. Any possibility this could be fixed with a firmware update in the future? My workaround is I have to wear headphones while recording and play the backing track through my audio interface

timbuck2

if they continue with a "crippled" series, a new one will be of little benefit.
I will be clearer although it has been said already: I want a chain of up to 12 effects (including secondary things like the volume pedal and noise gate of course) not one less, in any condition with any amp model. And of course all the problems reported so far will have to be fixed and the various features improved. Then all your other ideas are just as great but in an all-in-one solution a limited chain is nonsense.
I agree with this and they will likely release another crippled unit again..rinse..repeat..etc...

Elantric

But whose idea was it to route the AUX through the XLR output?! I'm trying to record my guitar track, not everything going in the amp! Any official Fender contact here? I would suggest to not do this by default or have an option to disable it. Any possibility this could be fixed with a firmware update in the future? My workaround is I have to wear headphones while recording and play the backing track through my audio interface
Some prefer it as is, as I route my separate MIDI Guitar output or Looper output into the Aux Input and use Mustang GTX Aux input as a mini mixer on my Stereo Mustang GT200

timbuck2

Some prefer it as is, as I route my separate MIDI Guitar output or Looper output into the Aux Input and use Mustang GTX Aux input as a mini mixer on my Stereo Mustang GT200
Elantric..have you tried the nux-mg30? and how do the amp tones and effects comapre to the gtx100.I know one is an amp and all but i mean core effects/amp tones?

Rick Harrison

Elantric..have you tried the nux-mg30? and how do the amp tones and effects comapre to the gtx100.I know one is an amp and all but i mean core effects/amp tones?
I've had an MG-30 for about 10 days now. I run it into the effect return on my GTX50 or GT200. Just got it dialled-in at last rehearsal using the Budda or Plexi 100 amp models. Brilliant! Great quality for the money... I don't miss my HX Effects at all :)

timbuck2

I've had an MG-30 for about 10 days now. I run it into the effect return on my GTX50 or GT200. Just got it dialled-in at last rehearsal using the Budda or Plexi 100 amp models. Brilliant! Great quality for the money... I don't miss my HX Effects at all :)
checks alot of boxes for me in a simple box with decent basic tones and effects and ir's

DrChrisE

Bummer. Im digging my GTX100 all around but if it cant replace the clunky 7 button fender switch Im gonna have to learn to love it. Thanks for the response
The much smaller MGT-4 footswitch, made for the GT amps, works with GTXs too. It can be carried to gigs in the back of the GT amps with the amp-attached velcro tape that secured it during shipping. You might find it more to your liking.

Last edited:

FrankHarv

re: "clunky 7 button fender switch", likely he meant clunky "in operation" rather than size, with the "hold a while to bank down" single button. The 4 button one doesn't improve the function factor, with only 3 selection buttons...

Last edited:

Trending Topics