• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Official Fender Mustang GTX Amp Thread (2020)

V@dim

I noticed my amps new version is not only listed and the curret version, but also the base version. So i think that pretty much solidifies what i said about newer amps coming with this base version and something in it makes it a base version. Probably as i suggested the server address but maybe something else i just can't think of. In any case thats what it was, definitionally not an update for fixes/new models. Server address is the only thing i can think of that makes sense because otherwise why they have made us use a hardware update instead of wifi?
The disk of the amp always contains the image of the basic version of the firmware, which is loaded at the factory for the first time. It provides a full recovery function. When we update the firmware via usb, we replace this image with a new one and it is no longer possible to return to the old factory firmware version. If the firmware is updated via wifi, the image of the basic firmware version remains unchanged, since the new firmware is installed directly.

dazco

The disk of the amp always contains the image of the basic version of the firmware, which is loaded at the factory for the first time. It provides a full recovery function. When we update the firmware via usb, we replace this image with a new one and it is no longer possible to return to the old factory firmware version. If the firmware is updated via wifi, the image of the basic firmware version remains unchanged, since the new firmware is installed directly.
Thats what i was suggesting. And like i said, the firmware obviously contains the server address they keep the firmware updates on so we owners of amps that were not produced with this "new base version" may have needed to do this in order to be able to reach the new server address for future updates.

KentEkl

Ahhh, that explains the difference beteeen the base and run version.
It seems that you have some inside information about the firmware build process, can you confirm that Fender is not using a static ip address in the firmware to the supporting backend servers, I stopped using that tech. about 20 years ago and relied on dns resolution. Also if Fender does firmware updates without corresponding release information, do you have some information to share about that, concerning the .87 version.

V@dim

Ahhh, that explains the difference beteeen the base and run version.
It seems that you have some inside information about the firmware build process, can you confirm that Fender is not using a static ip address in the firmware to the supporting backend servers, I stopped using that tech. about 20 years ago and relied on dns resolution. Also if Fender does firmware updates without corresponding release information, do you have some information to share about that, concerning the .87 version.
Unfortunately I've no any inside information. These are just my thoughts based on some existing experience in this field of knowledge.

Dimitri F.

I ended up figuring it out - turning down the noise parameter in the tape plex delay solved the popping issue.
It is paradoxical if we think carefully that someone eventually get to sell the amplifier due to "the fault" of that more or less random disturbance that seems to be even wanted by the developers:
they did not call it "tape hiss" but "tape noise" and I guess from my knowledge of digital audio editing that that term includes not only the common hiss but other various characteristic disturbances due to heads, preamp circuit etc. : if for example I use the Denoiser tool instead of the Dehisser (which can only act on the hiss of the tracks) I know that I can act on various types of noise or sampled disturbances of the track (humming etc. but also simply unwanted extraneous sounds) , and hissing is also included. Among other things, I noticed that on the Roland Space Echo model it goes without saying that the output level seems to be quite lower in certain settings than the dry signal, i.e. the default setting with Bass and Treble at 50%, and if increase the treble and maybe decrease the bass a little, other parameters being equal, the output will increase. And the tape noise parameter in this model apparently produces a faint hiss even when set to maximum.

edit: i saw a video demo on youtube about the real Roland Space Echo,
as i guessed there is a perfect balance between wet and dry signal (microphone or guitar). So the behavior on the relative amplifier model is certainly a behavior to fix, because the problem is that everything becomes lower both the dry signal and the echoed signal in output: as you deactivate the effect you hear that the original signal is much higher than the sum of the two in output of the delay.

Last edited:

Dimitri F.

I don’t really know I took a backup of the settings incl. my own presets , updated the firmware and restored my settings and they where numbered as before the update.
ah ok sorry, i misunderstood. Instead the restore went well keeping the presets sorting as you did. I mean to say that instead I (like others so far) did some (backups and) restores so far and i found my presets scattered among 200, while they had to be all within the first dozen.

The complication is when you have to find the presets by scrolling through the 200 and at a glance you do not have a visual reference (for example if was possible the first word in capital letters) to locate them quickly and bring them back to the first numbers.
I could name some presets even in Italian (a part that reminds me of the song title, so to speak) but first of all it is longer as a language also to be abbreviated and therefore it does not work well when you have few characters available, the limited length of the preset name, the same to use a symbol before (or at the end of)the preset name, for example an asterisk, which then in fact truncates the visualization of the preset name on the display often, and in any case certain terms are universal and familiar in any language: overdrive, chorus, rotary (vibratone for Fender) , solo/lead, harm(onizer) etc.

So i hope it is really solved for everyone, and not yours is a random positive event.

Last edited:

V@dim

A request to those who have not yet installed the new firmware 3.0.87. Please measure the loading time of the amp from the power on until the sound appears.

dazco

A request to those who have not yet installed the new firmware 3.0.87. Please measure the loading time of the amp from the power on until the sound appears.
I can't having already updated, but i am VERY familiar with how long it took before i installed 3.0.87 and i can assure you if anything slightly faster. Probably the same but certainly no longer if thats what u r worried about.

Elantric

I can't having already updated, but i am VERY familiar with how long it took before i installed 3.0.87 and i can assure you if anything slightly faster. Probably the same but certainly no longer if thats what u r worried about.
Mustang GT 200

Base Firmware 1.0.39
LATEST WiFi Firmware 3.0.43
[/B

If anyone has both the 4 button footswitch and the 7 button footswitch, might compare if new firmware addresses footswitch functionality / reliability.

GT200 on FW 3.0.43 boot up time (no footswitch) = 16.75 seconds

GT200 on FW 3.0.43 boot up time (with GTX-7 footswitch) = 16.75 seconds
1st 7 seconds , Mustang Amp displays "Fender"
@ 8 to16 seconds bootup , Amp displays "Mustang GT" ,
GTX-7 displays "u-4" during boot up , at 17 seconds , GTX-7 displays the current patch number

GT200 on FW 3.0.43 boot up time (with MS-4 4 button footswitch) = 16.75 seconds
1st 7 seconds , Mustang amp displays " Fender",
@ 8 to 16 seconds bootup, Fender Mustang Amp displays " Mustang GT" ,

MS-4 displays "u-3" for first 16 seconds, then at 17 seconds the MS-4 displays the current patch number

Now attempting to downloading and applying latest updates

After installing latest update, Amp still says its on Firmware 3.0.43

So I did a Recovery function

Which resurrected GE200 Amp to old FW 1.0.39

Next I Did a WiFi Restore/Update function

After 4 minutes, Amp reports its still on FW 3.0.43

Apparently for original Mustang GT models, 3.0.43 remains the most current version

‐--------
Mustang GTX 100

Base Firmware 3.0.52
LATEST WiFi Firmware 3.0.73

GTX100 on FW 3.0.73 boot up time (no footswitch) = 16.75 seconds

GTX100 on FW 3.0.73 boot up time (with GTX-7 footswitch) = 16.75 seconds
1st 7 seconds , Mustang Amp displays "Fender"
@ 8 to16 seconds bootup , Amp displays "Mustang GTX" ,
GTX-7 displays "u-4" during boot up , at 17 seconds , GTX-7 displays the current patch number

GTX100 on FW 3.0.73 boot up time (with MS-4 4 button footswitch) = 16.75 seconds
1st 7 seconds , Mustang amp displays " Fender",
@ 8 to 16 seconds bootup, Fender Mustang Amp displays " Mustang GTX" ,

MS-4 displays "u-3" for first 16 seconds, then at 17 seconds the MS-4 displays the current patch number

FW 3.0.87 has never been available for my GTX 100 over wifi

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: YTP

Dimitri F.

sorry, I did not understand the matter ... wouldn't it be better to wait and do that update via USB / PC (I have already tried via WiFi and did not find any new version)
only when it becomes necessary to do it to access a real firmware update? (with improvements, fixes and maybe some new models / functions). If it brings improvements I am willing to update the firmware in that way too, otherwise I would wait for a later release, which we are all waiting for.

dazco

sorry, I did not understand the matter ... wouldn't it be better to wait and do that update via USB / PC (I have already tried via WiFi and did not find any new version)
only when it becomes necessary to do it to access a real firmware update? (with improvements, fixes and maybe some new models / functions). If it brings improvements I am willing to update the firmware in that way too, otherwise I would wait for a later release, which we are all waiting for.
The point is, if you don't do this USB update u will not be able to ever update the amp via wifi ever again. You will be stuck with whatever version u have now. This USB update has one purpose only....to allow your amp to be able to install future updates. I read your post a few times but was unsure whether u understand that or not so i figured if not i'd just spell it out clearly if not.

If by chance what u r saying is whether you should not do it unless theres a future update you want, thats your call but i would say to that, ho will you know if you want it? They will all have fixes and new models so why would u not want those? If there IS something u r worried about in a future update then it doesn't matter if u do this USB one. If thats your worry i just say go ahead anyways because this USB update will become the amp's base version and is the same as whats in your amp now, assuming thats the lastest not including this USB one. And since it would become your base firmware, if you don't like a future update u can go back to the base FW any time you want.

Elantric

The point is, if you don't do this USB update u will not be able to ever update the amp via wifi ever again. You will be stuck with whatever version u have now. This USB update has one purpose only....to allow your amp to be able to install future updates. I read your post a few times but was unsure whether u understand that or not so i figured if not i'd just spell it out clearly if not.

If by chance what u r saying is whether you should not do it unless theres a future update you want, thats your call but i would say to that, ho will you know if you want it? They will all have fixes and new models so why would u not want those? If there IS something u r worried about in a future update then it doesn't matter if u do this USB one. If thats your worry i just say go ahead anyways because this USB update will become the amp's base version and is the same as whats in your amp now, assuming thats the lastest not including this USB one. And since it would become your base firmware, if you don't like a future update u can go back to the base FW any time you want.
The 1st USB Firmware update was for early 1st generation Mustang GT only

BASE VER" (boot loader) firmware from 1.0.38 to 1.0.39 , ( specific to my early revision GT 200) - all details here :

What is the Mustang GT Firmware Patch Utility?
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004685726

Seems folks avoid sharing URL Links

Where are you obtaining Mustang GTX FW 3.0.87?

Edit

Ok its here:

Last edited:

Elantric

I can't get this USB Firmware update to work

I launch the Fender USB Updater app (which requires Win10) follow instructions, connect USB Cable, hold "Tap" key, Then power Amp On, and nothing, app gets stuck on the "Find Your Amp" screen , and only a spinning "Preparing" for past 20 minutes , and Amp appears only a blank screen-seems dead , using Win10 and tried the GTX 3.0.87 for my Mustang GTX 100 , and the GT 3.0.49 versions of the update on my Mustang GT 200.

Pretty poor, but not surprised

I changed the USB cable

Got further. But never see the "Fender Amp Drive" show as a Drive on my Windows computers.

Fender is capable of more -I suspect we never heard of these updates because they remain a work in progress, and Not ready for prime time

Who has successfully updated Firmware on Mustang GTX to FW 3.0.87, or Mustang GT to FW 3.0.49 using the app linked here

Last edited:

dazco

I launch the Fender USB Updater app (which requires Win10) follow instructions, connect USB Cable, hold "Tap" key, Then power Amp On, and nothing, app gets stuck on the "Find Your Amp" screen , and only a spinning "Preparing" for past 20 minutes , and Amp appears only a blank screen-seems dead , using Win10 and tried the GTX 3.0.87 for my Mustang GTX 100 , and the GT 3.0.49 versions of the update on my Mustang GT 200.

I changed the USB cable

Got further. But never see the "Fender Amp Drive" show as a Drive on my Windows computers.

Fender is capable of more -I suspect we never heard of these updates because they remain a work in progress, and Not ready for prime time

Who has successfully updated Firmware on Mustang GTX to FW 3.0.87, or Mustang GT to FW 3.0.49 using the app linked here

Did u look for the fender drive in my computer? It shows up along with all your other drives there, it doesn't pop up automatically on your screen. If not, do that then drag the file (not the executable, the other one, i think .img file if i recall) to the fender drive.

Elantric

Did u look for the fender drive in my computer? It shows up along with all your other drives there, it doesn't pop up automatically on your screen. If not, do that then drag the file (not the executable, the other one, i think .img file if i recall) to the fender drive.
Never get any occurrence of "Fender Amp Drive" on any of my computers

Tried several USB cables

After pressing the Tap switch,, and powering amp On, I do get the typical Windows " Bell" sound , same as plugging in a USB Drive. But the "Fender Amp Drive" as a typical windows Drive storage device to deposit the *.img firmware update file never arrives

V@dim

In my case only rebooting the computer after installing the firmware updater helped to show fender drive. By the way amps booting time on 3.0.87 is approximately 13 seconds

V@dim

Never get any occurrence of "Fender Amp Drive" on any of my computers

Tried several USB cables

After pressing the Tap switch,, and powering amp On, I do get the typical Windows " Bell" sound , same as plugging in a USB Drive. But the "Fender Amp Drive" as a typical windows Drive storage device to deposit the *.img firmware update file never arrives
Do you power amp on holding Tap button?

Elantric

Do you power amp on holding Tap button?
Yep, followed all steps to letter -never get a "Fender Amp Drive" to show up , tried using two Mustang Amps, and two separate win10 computers

This is perhaps the worst USB Firmware update utility apps I've ever used.
And I successfully update firmware regularly on Line-6, Nux, Hotone, Kemper, Fractal, Headrush, Zoom, Roland, Boss, Positive Grid, Singular Sound, Cuvave, -those work like a breeze

I also tried the Fender USB Firmware update utility in Win 8.1 , that was worse.

They must have a short list of Win10 computers that actually work with this app

For those who succeeded, What make/model computer? And what type USB port? (USB 2.0, USB 3.0?

And what version Windows 10 & Build number?

Last edited:

KentEkl

Unfortunately I've no any inside information. These are just my thoughts based on some existing experience in this field of knowledge.
Solved it, I took a trace of the network calls that the amp. does when updating the firmware via wifi. And it does dns queries for:

firmware.fendergarage.com
fdp-gtx-prod.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com
google.com
time.nist.gov
fender.com

so there are no static ip calls during the update process.

Last edited:

KentEkl

I changed the USB cable

You should find the ”Fender Amp Drive” in your Windows file explorer, it attaches as a hard drive like C: so you should copy the file to that drive.
Not sure but I believe that it did not show up immed, I found it when the amp started to search for the .img file.
I was the one that posted the link to the Fender update and
I did it with a old laptop with USB 2.0 and windows 10 latest build.

Last edited:

Top Bottom