The Official Fender Mustang GTX Amp Thread (2020)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JCW308, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dazco

dazco Member

Generally effects that you want PRE amp model are stomps....overdrive stomps etc. EQ's can be used either pre or post depending what u r trying to accomplish. Post EQ will allow you ro EQ the distortion thats been created in the amp model. Putting it first basicall EQ's your guitar. The two are very different in thier effect but it would take a book to explain that so just experiment. Time based effects are generally put AFTER the amp model, especially if it's a overdrive sound because putting it PRE distortion stages will make the strength of the effect vary wildly if you lower the input signal. For example, lets say u have a delay before the amp or pedal distortion and with your guitar on 10 you have just the right amount of dealy. Lowering the guitars volume knob will change that setting and you will hgave too much. Or if you have a stomp before the amp and a delay before the stomp, stepping on the stomp will cause the amount of delay to multiply and you will have way too much. So delays should go after the amp model. Most other time based effects should too but can be used pre without similar wacky issues like u get with delay. Wah pedals usually are put pre but u can use then after too. Just sounds sorta overdone like that. In a nustshell i'd say just keep all stomps before the amp model and all delay and reverb after, and aside from that the rest are more subjective so experiment. U may like chorus before the amp mode instead of after for example. They just sound a little different and one way you may like better with distorted tones and the other you may perfer with clean. The main thing to keep in mind is that when putting any effect PRE amp model you are applying that effect to the guitar signal which is clean. Putting it POST amp model you are applying that effect to the amp signal distortion or clean. And second, with a clean amp tone none of this is nearly as important if at all. With amp distortion it's a huge difference because processing amp distortion with an effect is very different than processing the clean guitar input signal with that same effect.

DrChrisE and testedone like this.
  2. dazco

dazco Member

Tuner issues.....anyone? Stilwell, maybe you can look into this. I was trying to intonate my strat and ran into some issues. I was finding that when intonated the G string was further towards the neck than the B string. I checked over and over and i was not halucinating. So i pulled out my polytune clip headstock tuner which is a great and accurate tuner and intonated it with that and then the saddles were where they usually are with the G further back than the B. Other strings were not quite right too but that was the biggest discrepancy.

The issue may be in part due to the fact with vintage output singles i can't even use the tuner unless i use the neck pickup. If i could use the bridge maybe the issue would not be present. But this tuner seems to allow only a very small signal to it and those with hotter single coils or humbuckers likely have no issues. I know others will say they don't have this issue but to those with vintage output starts and teles, are you having issues with not enough signal strength when using the tuner? Stilwell, and input?

3. joec63

joec63 Member

The notation with the dot . is a dotted note and the T is Triplet , google both.

This may help also

https://www.guitarplayer.com/lessons/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-delay-pedal
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bpmtempotime.htm

Elantric likes this.
  4. MajorBytes

MajorBytes Silver Supporting Member

So the UPS guy dropped one of these off at my house yesterday, finally.. Still toying with the setups and such, but did play through it with a few of my guitars. Three of my custom wired strats, a burl PRS and a 54 Les Paul with P90's.. I have a lot more guitars to try out in it.. Some of the presets were actually usable out of the box, although the speaker is still stiff and not broken in just yet.. I have had a couple of the Mustang Heads, a III and a V, also a Mustang Floor, I have since sold all of those many years ago..

I have right at ten tube amps, some wired, some pcb, all good amps with good speakers and played a lot through the years. My main concern with the modeling stuff is the touch sensitivity and how well it plays without a pick, because I finger pick a lot more than I use a pick. Also if it will handle overdrive pedals in front of the amp.. I got the first preset dialed in this morning, just the stock one, but I tweaked the bias, eq levels and such and it surprised me at how well the touch dynamics work finger picking. None of that crap overtone sound either, which I have had issues with from a lot of the modeling stuff..

I hooked up one of my pedal boards into the front of the amp and did not have to mess with any of the current settings on it to get a decent sound out of the amp. I use this pedal board exclusively with tube amps and I have had issues plugging it into SS amps before. I would have to reset all kind of settings to get a decent tone in the SS and then I would have to reset them all again for the tube amps, which is a pain..

The main reason I got the GTX 100 is for practice and recording into Propellerhead Reason. I currently have a Tascam Model 12 hooked up, so I ran the headphone out of the GTX 100 into a couple of channels, it sounded pretty good in the headphones. Better than the Bias FX plugin I have been using.. I have an old Fender Super Champ Rivera amp that I have been using, but you really have to crank it to get the good stuff. I am hoping the GTX 100 will allow me to get some of the Stoner Fuzz tones I am wanting to record without blasting out the house.. I think the GTX 100 is going to work pretty good with this, it seems to handle my EH Ram's Head and my MojoTone Iron Bell pretty damn good. Major plus being able to control the amp settings with bluetooth while I have it setup to record in the Propeller Head Reason, sort of like a plugin on steroids, nice..

riffy and Elantric like this.
  5. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

MajorBytes, I can relate and experience same performance with my GTX 100

Just remember if you pursue recording from GTX 100 using a USB Audio cable, its 16 bit stereo audio output only into your DAW app

But like prior Mustangs, there is no USB Playback capability -
    If working on headphones and a Laptop - Some assign their internal laptop audio as DAW output and connect a 3.5mm TRS cable from laptop headphone output into the Mustang AUX Input - then monitor everything using Stereo Headphones connected to the Mustang Stereo Headphone output

Further details worth knowing regarding USB Audio on Mustang Amplifiers
    https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/...my-computer-using-my-USB-equipped-Fender-amp-

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&p=388757

Similar app to Audacity - but this one works with ASIO Audio devices
    https://www.ocenaudio.com/whatis
    OCENAUDIO
    https://www.ocenaudio.com/features
    https://www.ocenaudio.com/whatis
    https://www.ocenaudio.com/features

[​IMG]

VST plugins support
    ocenaudio supports VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugins, giving its users access to numerous effects. Like the native effects, VST effects can use real-time preview to aide configuration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Real-time preview of effects
    Applying effects such as EQ, gain and filtering is an important part of audio editing. However, it is very tricky to get the desired result by adjusting the controls configuration alone: you must listen the processed audio. To ease the configuration of audio effects, ocenaudio has a real time preview feature: you hear the processed signal while adjusting the controls.

The effect configuration window also includes a miniature view of the selected audio signal. You can navigate on this miniature view in the same way as you do on the main interface, selecting parts that interest you and listening to the effect result in real time.

Cross-platform support
    ocenaudio is available for all major operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Native applications are generated for each platform from a common source, in order to achieve excelent performance and seamless integration with the operating system. All versions of ocenaudio have a uniform set of features and the same graphical interface, so the skills you learn in one platform can be used in the others.

To assist ocenaudio development, a powerful toolset of audio editing, analysis and manipulation called Ocen Framework was created. ocenaudio is also based on Qt framework, a well known library for cross-platform development.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Multi-selection for delicate editions
    To speed up complex audio files editing, ocenaudio includes multi-selection. With this amazing tool, you can simultaneously select different portions of an audio file and listen, edit or even apply an effect to them.

For example, if you want to normalize only the excerpts of an interview where the interviewee is talking, just select them and apply the effect.

Efficient editing of large files
    With ocenaudio, there is no limit to the length or the quantity of the audio files you can edit. Using an advanced memory management system, the application keeps your files open without wasting any of your computer's memory. Even in files several hours long, common editing operations such as copy, cut or paste happen almost instantly.

Try it, you will be amazed!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fully featured spectrogram
    Besides offering an incredible waveform view of your audio files, ocenaudio has a powerful and complete spectrogram view. In this view, you can analyze the spectral content of your audio signal with maximum clarity.

Advanced users will be surprised to find that the spectrogram settings are applied in real time. The display is updated immediately when altering features such as the number of frequency bands, window type and size and dynamic range of the display.

6. MajorBytes

I doubt if I would ever use the usb out on the GTX 100 for recording. I have two Mackie Oynxi firewire mixers, a Tascam Model 12 usb C and a Roland Super UA, all of those do 96k or better resolution at 32/64 bit.. I usually do my recordings at 48k/32/64 bit..
    I will be using the XLR's and plug a mute jack into the headphone jack most of the time, but what I really like is I can have the XLR, headphone outs and mike that amp up with my sm57 and a condensor microphone, 6 channels tracking in from that GTX 100 would be cool.. Not sure if the XLR's get muted with something plugged into the headphone jack though.. Gonna test that out in a bit..

Elantric likes this.
  7. MajorBytes

Update... Plugging into the head phone jack does not mute the XLR outs, awesome.. I also hooked the XLR's into a couple of Fender Champion 40's, stereo madness..
    I bet it's gonna sound good hooked up to these things..

CBHTele likes this.
  8. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Never use a combo amp's tuner to intonate. Use a dedicated, quality tuner.

primeholy, riffy, jlagrassa and 2 others like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

Yep.

primeholy, riffy and JCW308 like this.
  10. dazco

dazco Member

This is strange. I just checked it against my clip and the amp's tuner is just very inaccurate. It was NOT in the past with the GT because i have compared it to my polytune with both on at the same time so i could compare. If anything i was surprised that the amp's tuner seemed really accurate, possibly even more then the polytune. Now with the GTX and new firmware it's off. I get the clip showing dead on and the amp tuner shows as much a +/- 3%. I hope fender gets more feedback about this because they surely won't listen to 1 person. Hopefully stilwell will look into it. It's useless like this. No wonder my guitar seems out of tune lately. I thought it was the guitar just going out quickly after tuning.

testedone likes this.
  11. MajorBytes

Ok I think I might be sold now with pedals in the front of the GTX 100, I tried my stereo pedal rig, granted I have not turned it up to gig level yet and crap can get hissy then, but I can get some pretty good tone at a tolerable level in my studio, with no hiss..

My pedals all work good straight into the front of the amp, I did not change the settings on the pedals from how I set them going into my two tube amps..
    I had this pedal rig hooked up to a Fender Hot Rod Deville 212 IV and a Blues Deluxe in stereo, clamping both of them down with attenuaters..

Just using the stock number one preset in the GTX 100, I tweaked the EQ a bit, bias and sag and also added a tape delay..
    This is a major plus, now I can set the board up however I want and it will pretty much sound the same with the same settings in my tube amps when I take them out to a jam..
    Advantage one, less wear on my tubes, advantage two, able to record silent in stereo, advantage three, able to control amp on the fly with an Android tablet while I am tracking into Propellerhead Reason, advantage four, got a hell of a lot more choices of amp tones, effects and cabs..

riffy, phruzao and testedone like this.
  12. dazco

dazco Member

So last nite i had the chance to use the GTX at a jam for the first time. The good is that i got everything i wanted from it and more with really good tone that i'm positive will get better as i learn what i need to do in a band context. I just played around w bit when setting up with a bunch of models and there were so many good tone theres no way i can come to learn which i will end up using a lot. But i centered on .....you guessed it....the blues Jr. Also used the 80s british but that BJ was just so good with everything from total drive to percussive edge of berakup tones as good as most any tube amp. I will have to work on the stomp tone for hot solos because it could have been improved. But i didn't have time to tweak every little thing.And it was good, don't get me wrong. But i wanted a smoother more marshally singing tone and i WILL get that. I was close but i want perfect because i know this amp is capable. I ended up using a vintage style tele most of the nite because with the blues i was getting absolutely killer edge of breakup tones with a guitar on 6 or thereabouts. I just didn't want to leave that place ! The percussive nature of that model had me salivating like a dog in a butcher shop. But there is so much more it can do i don't know where to start ! Next time i want to give the 65 deluxe some jam time because i found i like that model for the first time on 3.0 firmware. Speaker was fine. Absolutely none of that stiff digital feel as the GT with stock speaker had. Of course maybe now even that would be good on 3.0, not sure.

So thats the good. On the negative side i WAS plagued a bit with the low end farting out issue. Had me pretty bummed at times and i had to compromise my tone because of it. I had to lower the bass till there wasn't a lot of body left to the sound and therefore has to lower mids and treble a lot more then i wanted to. Still really good tone but it was better b4 i had to do that. That happened at about 11:00 on the physical master and it happened on the 80s british too. I also found that the bright cut i've been using was really needed or the amp was just too bright and thing and turning the model's treble or mids or presence down or changing cabs was not a good fix. So needing the global on bright cut i wasn't able to use the bass cut. Seems to me there are some subsonic or just very low unnecessary frequencies happening that need to be fixed in firmware. Maybe they voiced it like that for BT streaming? In any case, that low end issue is a real problem and as we have seen it's not a random issue in some of them and not others. All GTX amps are going to have it unless the people using them just don't get to the point where it happens in loudness or amount of bass. An trust me, i wasn't going after huge bass at all, just enough for a balanced sound thats not mid/treble heavy.

I also noticed, and this could have been me stepping on things and forgetting, but it seemed many times like the amp was switching to different patches or from patch mode to effects mode by itself. I would look down and see it was on a setting i didn't change. Again, could be i spaced being so involved in playing around with this new map, so i don't insist the switching was faulty. But there WAS a digital drum kit right next to me making me wonder of there was some sort of crosstalk going on.

So all in all, my impression as tone goes is the amp wins big but with at least one major issue, the bass farting.I would suggest fender either look into why this is happening or make it possible to use 2 global EQs at once. The latter being a band aid but it would at least make it less likely to do it. I hope fender will take this seriously because it IS a problem and one i have never had in any other amp in my life aside from the GT and now GTX. Aside from thast this was by far my best modeling experience with any of the 3 mustangs i owned and the katana artist. I instantly had great tones when i turned it on and didn't have to go thru my typical 30 minutes of tedious tweaking just to get the tone to a acceptable level. Any tweaking i did was looking for perfection rather then just to get it to a usable point. Aside from the bass issue i think fender really worked on the amp's sound in a band mix because it's right there from the get go.

Johnnyr likes this.
  13. MajorBytes

Qoute from dazco
    So all in all, my impression as tone goes is the amp wins big but with at least one major issue, the bass farting.

Just playing this amp at low levels I can see this happening at the higher levels, it is pretty bassy and that stock speaker does not seem be the greatest..
    I found out that Eminenece Texas Heats come in 4ohms, so I might be doing a swap soon.. Those things have done wonders for a couple of my amps..
    I will mostly be using the GTX 100 for studio work, so the loudness is not a factor just yet..
    This thing would be pretty easy to cut in half and make a head out of it, or maybe wire a speaker out jack.. Going into a 2x12 with a texas heat and a swamp thang would probably be nice..
    A Klon or compressor helps out on the louder tone body when you cut the bass down on the amp, at least it does for me..
    I use the Hardwire CM-2's the same way, first in the chain seems to really help out with the bumble bee tone and piercing treble..

One other thing I notice about the design of this amp and the speaker placement, a 1/4 of the speaker is covered up by the power amp guts.. Now I am not no physics major, but it seems to me the louder that amp gets , more air is going to be pushed around in that cab, and with that speaker placed like that, I am wondering if that might be causing it to fart out at high levels.. When I get the time, I am going to bypass the amp speaker and run it into one of my 1x12 cabs that have the whole back of the speaker exposed to the air and see what it does at higher levels..

14. dazco

dazco Member

No, it's not the speaker placement you mentioned because the GT farts out exactly the same as the GTX and it's speaker is completely separated from the chassis by a board. This is a issue with frequencies the amp produces that are too low to be necassary for guitar. Could be the voicing or could even be the speaker. The speaker after all was designed for this amp with bluetooth streaming being a consideration. Ever play a mp3 thru a guitar speaker? I bet this one has extended lows. But whatever it is it's not the cab since the GT's cab is totally different and does the same thing.

If you try the texas heat please review it because it well could be the perfect speaker being that it's a darker than average speaker which would mean o need to use the bright cut leaving global EQ free to do the bass cut. And that may not even be necassary because when i swapped out the speaker in my GT the issue was still there but i had to crank it louder before it did it, and at that volume it was louder then i ever use in a band setting and we get fairly loud. So yeah, keep us updated. I was very close to trying the texas heat in my GT at one point but went with the G12t100 instead. It's one of the few speakers available in 4 ohms which is what led me to it, but the G12T100 comes in 4 too. Even that speaker eliminates the need for the high cut setting because i tried it in my GTX and the top end was the same on flat as the stock speaker on bright cut. I would have left it in but the stock one has better hi mids.

15. MajorBytes

I just bought one of 4ohm Texas Heats, I don't need no mp3 playing amp, just some good tone with amp modeling and get it over a bass and drums. Anything to keep me from spending over 2k for a Kemper Profiler Power Amp..
    I know I will eventually take this thing to a jam for a test out once this virus crap slows down a bit..

I hope the Texas Heat fits, that magnet is pretty big, might hit the guts of the GTX, guess that's why they make drills and hammers..

badfish002 likes this.
  16. dazco

dazco Member

Right there with ya on that.

clintmartin likes this.
  17. dbave

dbave Member

I seen this video of Shane trying to fit a Texas Heat (8ohm) into the GT100. He couldn't get it to fit properly. I realise you are going to fit one into a GTX, but just thought it may be of interest to anyone wanting to do the same with the GT100.

18. badfish002

badfish002 Member

This has become my number one issue. I played the GTX 100 amp with a drummer and bass player last night and it honestly sucked! The sound was great but on several occasions the speaker just bottoms out. It made it scary to jump to another preset in fear that I would damage the amp with the master half way. Everyone noticed it and I hovered over the amp all night making sure to lower the master every time I changed patches. As a result, I could barely use the foot switch. Until I figure this out, this is the only amp I own that I don't trust in a jam. My mustang III or my Katana never did anything like this.

@dazco - I did take your advice and use the Bass Cut in the EQ but it still flubs.

19. txguy

txguy Member

With the speaker swap I wonder if your stuck using the cabinets. I’m thinking yes.

20. Graeme

Graeme Member

Just got a gt 200 a few days ago,I had a firehawk 1500 for a few weeks which was great but it developed a fault,after a few issues with the retailer and reading @Elantric reviews with the v3 firmware i decided to get a refund and got a 200 instead. I am glad I did,very impressed with it and much lighter than the firehawk. The main reason for it was to amplify my helix but i haven't got round to that yet ,thanks for the info and reviews elantric, you must have influenced a few sales of the amp

clintmartin likes this.