The official " I love my Supersonic" club!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

This may crash and burn but due to my love for my new Fender Supersonic I have decided the time has come to dedicate a thread strictly for SS owners!! Come on in and sniff around !!!!!!:BEER

2. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I really like mine and there are a few others on here as well!

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Best Fender dirt Ive heard. I primarily play what would be considered high gain here. With a 12AY7 in the V2 an great clean channel too. I prefer the Vibro side. Unfortunately its been put to the sidelines as I honeymoon my Peavy Ultra Plus head but non the less the best Fender Ive owned. Bob

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I am furiously trying to break the speaker in on mine. I have a big show coming up on Oct. 25th. I want the SS to sound fat and warm for the throngs of people that will be rockin' out.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Check the bias. Not an advocate of running amps hot but the SS was notorious for coming thru really underbiased. Mine came thru at 23 ma or about 40% idle dissapation. The factory number is 31-33 ma or about 60 % which sounds a lot better. Bob

6. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I'm not a big technical guy. How do I check the bias?

7. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Take it to your tech.

8. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member

It is a very nice amp!

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Get a simple bias probe that goes between the tube and the socket. Install the probe bewteen the tube and socket and plug the probe leads into the meter. Put the multimeter on mv or ma depending on the type of probe. Unplug guitar from the input. Always make sure the speaker remains connected though! The amp always requires a load. Turn on the amp and let it warm up. After its warmed up a minute or two turn standby off and watch the reading on the multimeter-thats your bias setting. On the Supersonic it should be between 31-33. To actually adjust the bias requires removing the chassis from the amp and turning the bias pot until that number is achieved.

However if you dont know how to use (or dont want to learn how) a multi meter a bias probe wont help. Its simple to learn though if your inclined. At least you would be able to check it. Doesnt mean you have to go to the next step and adjust it if your not comfortable.
    Yes taking it to a tech would be the easiest solution. Bob

10. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

You're speaking Chinese to me. I will take it to an amp tech. Thanks for the explanation however.

11. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

i'll join this club and say that i love my SS as well. bought it about two years ago and it had the crappy GT tubes and a cold bias. i only paid $550 for the black pepper combo and felt that it was a steal. all it needed was a new pair of 6L6 (JJ) tubes and adjusted bias and it's been golden ever since. the tech that did the bias for me described it as a "monster", in a good way.

12. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Do this: remove the speaker grille (it's velcroed on), then put some bass-heavy music (I used my wife's Justin Timberlake CD) thru the Bassman channel, treble 0 bass 10. Bring the volume up until you see the cone moving with the bass hits. Then, as the CD plays brush the surround with acetone. I did this every other song, maybe about 5 times. MUCH warmer & smoother V30. More bass. Huge difference. Liked the amp before, LOVE it now. I had even ordered a Weber 12F150 (Basically his version of the C12N, the "Fender speaker") to put in, but since I broke in the V30, I'm not sure I want to.

(this is basically Ted Weber's method for speaker break-in).

I also love my SS, but after 2 things:

1) replacing all the tubes with non-Sovteks, and also putting 5751s in V2 & V3 to tame the dirt a bit... I don't need Boogie tones.

2) breaking in the speaker.

This amp, with a little TLC, could be one of Fender's best (which I know is blasphemy around here), but people don't give it a chance. Stock, new, at the local GC it didn't sound that good to me. But after much research, I did the 2 things described above (as well as adjusting the bias, which was actually on from the factory anyway), and it's a different amp.

13. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

I have a Supersonic head and matching 2x12 cab, but I let the other guitar player in our band use it. Yes,....I am a nice guy.

:)