The official low-carb recipe/support thread!!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rog951, Apr 14, 2016.

1. rog951

rog951 Member

Hey guys, I lost ~50lbs on an ultra low carb diet (30g/day max) a couple years ago but then slowly gained back 20lbs after transitioning back to a "normal" diet. Problem was, "normal" consisted of me sorta making up for lost time, eating too much of the junk I'd deprived myself of while doing the low-carb thing. So the backslide was predictable.

I'm back to lower carb again and I thought it would be cool to have a place where we could share our favorite low-carb meal ideas. To me, the biggest problem with this type of lifestyle is the lack of variety in the foods. "Meat, cheese, repeat" works, but is not the most interesting for most people. Let's cross-pollinate some of the ways we keep ourselves sane!

So, what's your favorite low carb food? What do you guys do to keep it interesting? I really missed soup on this diet so I found that I really enjoyed this creamy broccoli soup. I sometimes add a little chicken breast or chorizo slices to give it more substance. Something like 4g net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) per serving.

Disclaimer: PLEASE keep the discussion of whether or not low carb has value, or "low carb vs calories in/out", etc, OUT of this thread. PLEASE?

Thanks! :aok

2. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

I've been navigating the maze of informed/uninformed diet opinions for a while.

Not sure if this counts as "low carb" but...

My current favorite breakfast is:

Sweet Potato chips.
    I roast 3 or 4 sweet potatoes or yams at a time until they're cooked but not mushy.
    slice 1 thin and fry in coconut oil until crispy, save the rest for other times

1/3 Lb grass fed burger patty
    Cook it in the same pan as the sweets

1/2 Avocado
    My challenge is keeping a ripe one ready to go without having too many ripe ones sitting

Salt to taste

I've been having this 3 or 4 times a week, including right now...
    Had to skip the avo, no ripe one till tomorrow.

This has carbs ( not sure what the numbers are for sweet potatoes), but the sweet potatoes are low glycemic.

Type II diabetic for years, yesterday my sugar was 99. No meds.

Eating the right food does matter. A lot...

ford and rog951 like this.
  3. claudel

Easy Peasy Coconut-Lime Chicken Soup

1 box organic chicken broth
    chicken meat ( pastured not factory )
    onion
    celery
    carrots
    1 can organic coconut milk
    1 lime
    garlic

Cook the chicken meat and remove the bones.
    ( I've used canned chicken, but it's not as good. Leftovers from a supermarket roasted chicken makes great soup too)

Dump the broth & chicken into a pot
    chop & add the veggies ( use other veggies to make it interesting )
    bring to a boil, reduce & simmer until veggies are cooked
    Add coconut milk & lime juice, simmer a few more minutes

Salt to taste & enjoy.

I'm leaving out any spices because at the moment I'm on an elimination diet and am supposed to avoid for awhile.

I had this this week and it was great unspiced.

It was nice to taste the food...

rog951 likes this.
  4. tone4days

tone4days Member

i like egg 'muffins'

a dozen eggs
    12 cooked sausage links (i use turkey sausage but you can use what you like)

1 cup coarsely chopped onion - feel free to use whichever veggies you prefer
    1 cup coarsely copped bell pepper - gauge the amount you need by how much space they take up

1 cup shredded cheese (pick your fav cheese - i like colby jack or cheddar)
    salt/pepper/spices to taste

oven preheat to 350F
    spray PAM in cupcake/muffin baking pan
    empty all 12 egg whites and yolks into a big bowl and wisk thoroughly
    add salt/pepper/spices to taste (i like ground mustard, curry powder, garlic powder, and chipotle hot sauce)
    gently stir/mix the eggs and dry spices around in the bowl
    cut sausage links into 2 or 3 chunks and put into muffin tin - 1 link per muffin
    put some choped onion in each tin
    put some chopped pepper in each tin
    put some shredded cheese in each tin

pour egg mixture evenly into each tin slowly so that it flows into the nooks and crannies created by the sausage and veggies

25 minutes in the oven or until a toothpick comes out clean

let them cool

devour some and store the rest in a storage bag/container in the fridge
    the stay in the fridge well for about a week - i am told they freeze well too but i never have let them stay around that long
    reheat in microwave for ~20-30 seconds

total prep time is about 30 minutes, less if you are speedy in the kitchen

i have lost 65 lbs since Aug 15 (still losing) and these are a tasty addition to my staples ... about 125 calories per muffin when i use turkey sausage and negligible carbs

good luck and enjoy

ford and rog951 like this.
  5. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

The best way to lose weight IMO, but very difficult to maintain.

FenderBigot, sixstringfuel and rog951 like this.
  6. Sobbincat

Sobbincat Gold Supporting Member

Shrimps and Ham

Saute smoked ham in butter. Add chopped celery, green onion, red pepper and jalapeno. Add cajun seasoning and additional coriander and cumin, Worcestershire sauce. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Check for salt. Add peeled raw shrimps and cook. We have also made this with red snapper.

You could work this up with a roux and serve it over mashed potatoes, if you want to fall way off of the low carbohydrate wagon. You could also go with grits or rice, but the ham works well with the potato and relates it well to the shrimps.

rog951 likes this.
  7. rog951

rog951 Member

Yes, the sweet spuds are probably a little too high in carbs to eat regularly on a ketogenic diet, but it sounds perfect for a weight-maintenance situation. I'm a little cursed for low-carb in that I'm not a fan of some of the obvious go-to foods. Avacado, for example...and the big one: eggs. I despise eggs, the perfect low-carb food. :facepalm If I could enjoy just those two items, it would sure make this diet much more tolerable!

8. rog951

rog951 Member

I'm going to try this one this weekend. Thanks!

claudel likes this.
  9. rog951

rog951 Member

Thanks man! My wife is going to whip up a batch for herself and I'm determined to give them a try. Even though eggs are unfortunately not my thing, I'm feeling like I need to try to find ways to get them in me. :D

10. rog951

rog951 Member

I agree - at least it's the best way for a certain segment of people. I think some types might crave breads/pasta so much that it's very difficult for them to stick with it. My cravings are more for savory items so I generally don't have too much trouble staying the course. I've enjoyed doing the "Carb Nite" thing personally, because I get one night a week to cheat a bit, and get those bread/pasta (and donut!) cravings satiated.

11. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

I make a lot of omelettes, it's not really about the recipe it's more about the technique. The key for me is low heat so the omelette doesn't brown.
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 tablespoon butter
    diced ham
    cheese (sharp cheddar or smoked Gouda)
    crimini mushrooms

saute the ham 1/2 Tbs. butter and mushrooms and set aside.
    wipe out pan and melt the rest of the butter on medium low heat, add the well beaten eggs to the pan and stir vigorously until eggs and butter are fully incorporated. push the edges of the eggs toward the center of the omelette and tilt the pan so that liquid eggs replace the egg pushed towards the center, do this around the perimeter of the pan until there is no more liquid egg flowing. if you hear any sizzling turn the heat down, sizzle means browning. once eggs are nearly cooked add toppings to center of omelette and fold a third to the center, then flip the rest out onto your plate. i make 3-4 of these a week, breakfast and dinner.

rog951 likes this.
  12. rog951

rog951 Member

This sounds good! Especially over the mashed potatoes! ;) That's the thing about this low carb lifestyle - eating something like this plain while watching the rest of the family eat it over pasta, rice or mashed potato. :facepalm

13. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Are you guys exercising at all? I started with the gym last month. Made some routine changes in my date and dropped 8 lbs already.

tone4days and rog951 like this.
  14. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Check bakeries in your area to see if they make a low-carb loaf (usually a blend of chickpea & wheat flours). One here does & it is very good.

One of our favorite soups is "beans & greens." Lots of variations on the theme but in essence, it is a mild bean soup (white, great northern, navy, etc.) in chicken broth, Italian herbs & garlic with a couple of big handsful of fresh baby spinach added at the end of cooking and dressed with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar when served.

My breakfast 5-6 days a week is a smoothie made of:
    6 oz water or milk
    8 oz fresh spinach
    1 cup of blueberries
    half a banana
    1/3 cup yogurt
    1 tbsp flax seed (ground)
    2 scoops of unflavored protein

Serves 2. You can omit the banana & use a flavored/sweetened protein powder instead.

The basic theme here is "fill up on greens & lean protein."

EL34 and rog951 like this.
  15. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

great thread!

Started a Ketosis diet three weeks ago, down 15 pounds. I've pretty much done the easy route. Burgers and chicken with cheese. Its been boring but my wife made me the following dish and it helped me get through week 2 as a side item;

Mashed Cauliflower (16 carbs in a one cup serving) / Mashed Potatoes 35g in a one cup serving

1 head of cauliflower
    3 tablespoons milk
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 tablespoons light sour cream / (cream cheese is better)
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    snipped chives
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Separate the cauliflower into florets and chop the core finely.

2. Bring about 1 cup of water to a simmer in a pot, then add the cauliflower. Cover and turn the heat to medium. Cook the cauliflower for 12-15 minutes or until very tender.

3. Drain and discard all of the water (the drier the cauliflower is, the better) and add the milk, butter, sour cream, salt and pepper and mash with a masher until it looks like "mashed potatoes." Top with chives.

IMHO its better than mashed potatoes if you use cream cheese substitute.

Also this is a tip from Hogy for a rice substitute! He swears by it!

Puree raw cauliflower to the size of rice. Roast it in a pan with coconut oil for 2 minutes. Better than rice according to Hogy.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    claudel and rog951 like this.
  16. rog951

rog951 Member

Very minimal for me right now, mainly because the "Carb Nite" thing I'm doing suggests not doing any heavy cardio. Darn! ;)

I do try to walk at least a mile every day, and some light weight training 2-3 times a week.

17. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Gotcha!

I tried these low carb diets a while ago. After 2 to 3 weeks I felt horrible and weak. A sensible diet with exercise works better for me. I hit the gym 3 times a week, 35 minutes of cardio I usually get my heart rate up to 160. Then some weight training for another half hour. I feel great! I want to lose about 45 lbs overall. I cannot believe I let myself go so bad. I find that after 2 or days without exercise my body craves it.

Good luck with your journey!

rog951 likes this.
  18. claudel

I really like avos. Those are one of my staples, these days.

A little salt & lime juice perks 'em up. Nutritionally dense.

I'm not going for keto, just trying to keep my blood sugar under control and live right.

I'm not a big egg eater any more.

I'm completely off them until I finish a 30 day ( 23 & counting ) elimination phase.

It's hard to find a good source for clean eggs from pastured chickens in a lot of places.

rog951 likes this.
  19. Chris.novak

Chris.novak Member

Ive lost 4 stone since Christmas (getting married this year) and I started on Keto. Man, that diet is amazing if you want to lose some weight quickly. However, it made me feel absolutely terrible! I did it for 2-3 weeks and it was enough to give me a good head start in losing the weight. Ive done my diet in 4 different methods just to keep me interested and happy but kept was the one I lost the most in the shortest amount of time.

rog951 likes this.
  20. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

I'm having the opposite effect with my Keto diet. My mental and physical energy level is elevated and feel pretty darn good. The first 4 days of keto are rough. Once you make it past the induction stage where your body flushes the stored toxins you should feel much better. There is a system you need to follow. If you cheat on carbs it takes 4 days to re-enter the ketosis state. You have to also make sure your getting enough fats and not over do the protein.

pomfret and rog951 like this.