• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Official Original Quad Cortex Non-Owner Complainer Thread

mbenigni

If a demo pops up again at Sweetwater in the $1600’s I might snag one, but not at full price.

I think you’ve already got yourself predisposed such that you’d hate the QC right out of the box.

OP JiveTurkey, on the other hand… would love it. :D

mbenigni

Why can't that big touchscreen just use lists/text? Tap on an item in column 1 to reveal a column 2 with parameters. Double tap item for alternative items/categories. Or some such thing. I thought the point of the screen is to be able to glance at it and see exactly what you're using .. not just a random icon for the kind of thing you're using, which then leads to screen after screen of whatever. Screw colors. Just tell me what I'm using. I mean now it looks like the screen is just an alternative to knobs, not a better way of having a global view of an entire rig.

RigNameHere

GateHell>
SnapComp>
GreenBoost>
GraphicEQ>
YoTremelo>

StumbleClean>
EVM12Lx4>

CosmicDelay>

RighteousRev>

What you’re describing makes sense for capture selection, and is in fact what’s already in place for model and preset selection. (The big question is WHY did Neural go out of their way to create an entirely different, inconsistent UI paradigm for captures… which is clearly inferior to the one they’ve used everywhere else?)

But for actual preset programming, what you describe would be an enormous step backward. For one thing, legible text descriptions take up much more real estate than icons (and are variable in this regard.) For another, presets are frequently non-linear, with parallel paths, multiple inputs and outputs, etc.

Personally, I think the preset presentation/ programming aspect is quite effective, skeumorphism and all. It’s true the UI is very similar to Helix (Helix having been an evolution of plenty of products before it), and that’s because it’s intuitive and effective.

But no, it’s not perfect. At least not yet. I think you’d be the first to agree that holding one’s breath for “perfect”, instead of dialing in tones with the already better-than-average tools on hand, and getting on with some music, would be self-defeating. (I should know, having been guilty of exactly this on many occasions. :))

Last edited:

Gearzilla

Silver Supporting Member
KindAgedCrayfish-max-1mb.gif

AZG

Silver Supporting Member
Regarding No. 2
  • No grounding noise even if you only have the power, guitar and headphones plugged in. Plugging in USB, XLR, etc. seems to have no impact on noise. Noise seems pretty low overall, although I've not yet directly compared it to my FM9.
That's exactly my experience with Quad Cortex using my Stratocaster. I took the QC off my pedalboard to finally test my unit after reading someone saying that all units may have the issue. Wanting to find out if my preorder unit, (xxxx of 2000) had the grounding issue,

I connected a guitar, power supply and headphones. Removed the gate from the Preset. No grounding noise. Touched the unit, touched the strings - no noise added or subtracted. Then connected the XLR's from my Line 6 Firehawk 1500 FRFR - no impact - still no grounding noise. Also my Stratocaster has been shielded and aftermarket Fender pickups were installed by me. I can also ad that depending on guitar orientation (turning it towards the window) I got typical faint single coil buzz inherent to position 1, 3, and 5 on single coil pickup strat selection, but position 2 and 4 would canceled it.

Different story when I plugged my Les Paul Supreme. There was a buzzing depending on my touching the strings or the unit. Connecting XLR from Line 6 Firehawk 1500 Amp eradicated the noise completely. Quiet, no buzz.

When no guitar was plugged in the Quad Cortex was completely silent, no buzz, no hum using supplied Power Adapter and headphones.

My conclusion is to check the wiring on my Gibson as the pickups in it are not factory original and wiring may've introduced a ground loop picking up electrical noise from the surrounding. Les Paul Supreme model - there is no easy way to work on electronics inside, but I'm planning to tackle that project.

I say, try a different guitar and cables. Having only plugged in my Les Paul I would blame the Quad Cortex.
You are probably quoting me. To repeat what I said in the past, I've now had three QC in my possession. One from batches last spring, two from recent shipments (10/2021) to Sweetwater (one was a warranty replacement). All of them had the exact same problem of making excessive noise when only the guitar cable (different cables tried), power and headphones were plugged in. Adding an XLR, USB, etc. to a properly grounded device made the noise go away. I tested this with a Suhr Modern, Suhr Classic T, Kiesel, Strandberg and Strat. All guitars exhibit the same noise. The QC is the ONLY device (Axe Fx III, FM3, FM9, Helix, Headrush MX5) I've used in my environments that has such a noise issue. So I am very confident based on my random sampling of QC that every QC would exhibit this noise issue in my environment, and the problem is with the QC and not my environment, guitars, cables, etc. Being that others have reported the same issue, it is a real issue with the QC. It's been like 6 months since Neural acknowledge the issue, so where is the fix?

Last edited:

AZG

Silver Supporting Member
Here you go:

People are still under the impression they are going to get a new noiseless power supply for free?
I remember when Neural put that PSA out. I read it as them trying to sweep the problem under the carpet and pretend every other manufacturers devices suffer from the same problem. They don’t. Makes me think they haven’t found a cheap resolution, so have no intention of fixing it?

guitarrob

You are probably quoting me. To repeat what I said in the past, I've now had three QC in my possession. One from batches last spring, two from recent shipments (10/2021) to Sweetwater (one was a warranty replacement). All of them had the exact same problem of making excessive noise when only the guitar cable (different cables tried), power and headphones were plugged in. Adding an XLR, USB, etc. to a properly grounded device made the noise go away. I tested this with a Suhr Modern, Suhr Classic T, Kiesel, Strandberg and Strat. All guitars exhibit the same noise. The QC is the ONLY device (Axe Fx III, FM3, FM9, Helix, Headrush MX5) I've used in my environments that has such a noise issue. So I am very confident based on my random sampling of QC that every QC would exhibit this noise issue in my environment, and the problem is with the QC and not my environment, guitars, cables, etc. Being that others have reported the same issue, it is a real issue with the QC. It's been like 6 months since Neural acknowledge the issue, so where is the fix?
Posted this in another thread, but I thought it was more relevant here.

Had a rehearsal last night, and I brought my QC pedalboard, powered by the Cioks DC7 - this set up previously had produced ground noise in this room. The ground noise previously was so loud that that I had to shut down the QC and use my Kemper Stage.

Previously, I plugged my guitar directly into the QC. Now, I have a TC Polytune 3 mini on the board which I plug into before the QC. Zero ground noise. For grins, I plugged directly into the QC - massive ground noise.

So for me, it’s not the best outcome but the issue solved for now. It seems a buffered pedal in front of the QC will eliminate the ground noise issue. I know that not everybody is experiencing this issue, but if you are, try putting a buffered pedal in front of the QC.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom