The Official Reverb/Echo Junkies Club

Drumnbum

I've always been fascinated with reverb and echo sounds. I'm a child of the 80's when over the top 'verb was the rule of the land and I can't get away from my love of good (or subjectively bad) reverb.

I'm drumnbum, and I'm a reverb junkie. Maybe there are enough 'verb lovers like me out there who want a place to crash and talk shop.

DakotaRed

I don't know if I'm a junkie but I sure like reverb. If I could only have one effect it would be 'verb.

I grew up in the 80's as well, so may be that's the root cause.

Currently I have a Boing! and a Polara, am eyeing the new MXR, and am trying to resist the Orion.

Do you think we can hit 900 pages like the fuzz thread? Haha!

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I think this entire sub forum is about 80% delay.

My fascination is in using delay as reverb… until it is time for big reverb.

Drumnbum

I have no problem with delay/echo being part of the 'Verb thread. I'm primarily a reverb guy personally, but have just started dipping my toes in the delay world.

Side note: I remember when I first started mixing records here in town, I was asking another mixing engineer about the use of delay on vocals - his response: "Son, go listen to Purple Rain - that's an entire lesson on delay in and of itself".

Hello, my name is Gotham City Blues and I'm a reverb addict! I play cleanly so I have no use for overdrives, but I can't live without the 'verb. My favorites are in my '65 PRRI, '63 Vibroverb RI, and '63 Fender reverb tank. The studio where I have my mixes done has a small room/closet that houses a killer vintage EMT plate. All different and all good! I also had a Swart AST that had stellar reverb. Oddly enough, I'm not crazy about reverb pedals. I haven't kept one yet.

kidvox

Still experimenting exploring time-based effects, myself. I just bought an Ibanez DE-7 and love using the echo as a reverb sound with the repeats up on a shorter delay time.

Drumnbum

I've tried a fair number of 'verb pedals myself:
Hardwire RV-7
HOF/Trinity
Boss RV (several versions)
Strymon Blu Sky/Flint
Holy Grail (big box)
Ghost Echo (still have this one)
Line 6 Verbzilla (the chamber setting was really, really good)
Keeley Aurora (own this one as well)
JHS Alpine
...I could go on...but I won't

cubistguitar

I haven't had a lot of reverb pedals

Spring Chicken (gone, cool, limited ed. blue)
Hall Of Fame (gone, forgotten)
Verbzilla (gone, not bad)
Dispatch Master ( gone, pretty cool, just not what I wanted)
Mad Professor Silver Spring (still got it, excellent smooth reverb)

and the keeper
Caroline Meteore

this is my new toy and I love it

Drumnbum

Thread title changed to reflect our purpose.

I currently have a Keeley Aurora and, while I really like it a lot, I'm pondering the Hall mode. Even with the blend knob fully up, the decay seems a little more distant that I'd like. I feel like the early reflections should possibly start a bit earlier on this mode. In fact, I actually find that when in Room mode, putting the decay knob at 3:00 or greater actually sounds like a better hall than the "Hall" mode.

cubistguitar

I love joining a new club. I avoided effects for many years as a young guitarist, thought it was like a crutch. I did enjoy my spring reverb in my amp. For a loud noise during a set, I always did a spring crash of the amp, you know turn the reverb up and bang the amp. I bet that is a familiar story for many guitarists.

hydroquebec

I like a little bit of reverb. I tend to look at them in a few different classes:

Standard - Mono/stereo pedals with algorithms that are normally scaled down from their (older) rack counterparts. These are things like the Digitech and Boss pedals. Yamaha Magicstomp would also fit into this category. Alongside these are other pedals based on new algorithms, like the Keeley, Alexander, and other boutique brands. Some rack reverbs, like the Yamaha SPX series, Lexicon MPX series, and Alesis boxes also belong here.

High End - Stereo pedals from teams like Strymon and Eventide. Neunaber could also fall into this category. These algorithms are a bit different in that delay modulation is placed inside of the reverb network, giving them a much smoother and natural tail. They might also feature the use of far more delay lines, advanced diffusion arrays, etc.

Hell Yeah - Big racks from Lexicon, Eventide, etc. Parameters are exposed here. You've got all of the stuff that's in the high end pedal offerings + an insane amount more. These are the big algorithms that can also be put into classes, but once you get something like an Eclipse or PCM80, you have a really good idea of what's in the H8000 and Lex 300. Vsig is also available on the 2U Eventides, effectively ending your algorithm search.

It's super interesting to see how pedals have evolved. Reverbs like the Digitech Polara and Boss RV6 are very cool and clear descendants from racks like the MPX1 and SRV-330. The algorithms are scaled-down and limited + modulation is placed outside of the reverb, but they are very, very cool devices nonetheless that impart their own sound.

FWIW, I also like creating my own reverbs from multi-tap delays. These sound a big other-worldly and are great for doing the ambient/postrock/shoegaze things. Placing a diffusion effect after a set of multitap delays can also blur that interesting line between delay and reverb, which is also really cool territory to explore.

My current reverbs:

Eventide H9
Eventide Space
Eventide Eclipse
Lexicon PCM80 (with cards)
Lexicon MPX G2
Alesis MidiVerb4
Yamaha Magicstomp

Drumnbum

Eventually I want to design my own reverb pedal. I'll either be using standard, off the shelf chips (Belton) and tweaking the circuit around it, or teaming up with a programmer to do our own thing. That's a ways off in the future at this point, though.

kor

Lately I've found that I'm using delay more than reverb, at least in an obvious up front way. When I record everything ends up with at least a little splash of verb but that's often done with plugins when I'm mixing. I even sold my BigSky because I just wasn't using it much.

I still have some killer reverb pedals that I want to do some ambient-influenced stuff with eventually.

hydroquebec

Eventually I want to design my own reverb pedal. I'll either be using standard, off the shelf chips (Belton) and tweaking the circuit around it, or teaming up with a programmer to do our own thing. That's a ways off in the future at this point, though.
Well, you can sorta can this already. In a simple format, throwing something like a Zoom CDR in a parallel loop opens up a lot of options.

In a configuration like that, the CDR can be used to process the wet signal (and the CDR can stack up to 5-6 effects). This means that you can add chorus, vibrato, flange, phase, gain, EQ, or any combination to a Hall or Room reverb. It also means that you can add further modulation and other effects to cool algorithms like Particle Verb. On top of that, it also means that you can do interesting blooms by placing a volume swell or reverse reverb before a forward reverb, so the verb swells in and washes over the sound. Cool stuff, actually.

Trending Topics